News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

is there a solution

Started by TheDragon, December 05, 2019, 11:10:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDragon

n login credentials (in the cache for years)
is empty
and my reserve files are missing
i clicked forgot password  - but it sent me new link for one of my test accounts
(ie not me as the admin)
gulp
now what --
If I prove who I am - can one of the TOP authors of SMF help me back in?

the site still works
and I do have a super moderator
but I do not recall what permissions he has

Illori

m4z

If all the above doesn't work for you, try visiting your forum in a private browsing window.

In your regular browser window, you apparently still have a cookie for your test account, so you aren't even asked for you mail address when you click "Forgot password", right?

In the private browsing window, the cookie will be missing and the forum will ask you for the username or email address, and you will be able to enter either one for your admin account.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

Illori

I think the OP has forgotten the password and which email address was used for that account. so they cannot use the reset option to get access again to the account.

TheDragon

all great suggestions
I think the problem might be I last logged from my previous laptop
which I still have at my other home
will try that (and your suggestions) THANKS !
fingers crossed

TheDragon

Quote from: Illori on December 05, 2019, 11:20:44 AM
you mean you need to reset the password for your admin account?

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/I_accidentally_lost_my_admin_account!_What_can_I_do
looks very complex -- but  think I can handle this if I need to

TheDragon

Quote from: m4z on December 05, 2019, 11:31:18 AM
In your regular browser window, you apparently still have a cookie for your test account, so you aren't even asked for you mail address when you click "Forgot password", right?

sounds like a great plan -- will try after I try my old laptop

Illori

if you don't know what the current password is for the account, you will not be able to reset it even if you are still logged into the account on another machine.

Dave J

If you have access to phpMyAdmin then you can look at the table for smf_members.

In phpMyAdmin go to smf_members table on the left window, then look in the right hand window and look for your member name (if you are the owner of the site then in theory you should be member 1) If you have a lot of members then click on the 'id_member' at the top of the column and that will organise the list numerically with 1 being at the top of the list, this also works for the member_name too.  Once you find your member name scroll along the line and you should see the email address you use. If this is no longer valid then click on edit at the beginning of the line and then change it to what you want to use, once you have done that then go to the bottom of the page and click 'Go'

Your email address will now be changed and when you go back to try to login with that username you can click on forgot password and it should send the link to the email address you've just updated.

NOTE: you will need the email address to be unique to the site as it might throw out errors as you cannot use the same email address for multiple account or at least I'm pretty sure you can't.

If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

TheDragon

hey guys
GREAT answers
BUT _ LUCKY me
went back to older laptop (from which I did all the work)
and my credentials were still in cache
logged right in
I really had a BLAST making that site and forum
(tons of custom coding (look and feel stuff)
wish I could remember how I did it all
(ie why I have done few upgrades)
anyway  THANKS for the GREAT help
(as I always get here)

Advertisement: