News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

cant post photos or pics on the forum?

Started by MacGig, February 20, 2020, 01:23:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacGig

tried posting a pic as an attachment. it didn't work. And it made it so I got a critical error: Call to undefined function dl()..... then the post would not open, and I was unable to delete it. had to delete the post from the database using phpmyadmin.

any idea how I can post pictures on my forum? is their a setting I have to fix? thanks. :)

shawnb61

Was this all working properly previously?

If so, it looks like your host upgraded your php version.  You should reach out to them to have it restored so you're back up and running.

You next priority should be to upgrade to 2.0.17.  Then, you can get to a more current version of php, up to 7.3.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Tonyvic

Looks like he is already on 2.0.17
Quote from: MacGig on February 17, 2020, 07:59:24 PM
Im using 2.0.17 so I guess I'm stuck with it for now.

shawnb61

When I posted my response above, this was in the 1.1 forum...  It has since been moved! 

Next thought is that fileinfo isn't enabled. To confirm that's the problem, run phpinfo & see if you can find fileinfo in there.
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/What_is_a_phpinfo()_file

If it is confirmed that lack of fileinfo is the problem, there is a solution posted for that issue here:
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=571155.msg4042489#msg4042489

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

MacGig

Ok I posted in the wrong area. forum was working fine until I tried uploading a picture as an attachment. the host did not upgrade php I can do that myself in cpanel... PHP Version 7.3.14... looks like fileinfo is disabled... not sure what that means.

shawnb61

Fileinfo is a common extension to php - and in fact has been part of the standard php install since php5.3.  It is used to make sure you're uploading a proper type of file.

Sometimes a php installation doesn't have the fileinfo extension enabled for some reason or another.  You need to get it enabled.

If you can configure php for your environment, follow the instructions on the link above. 

If you have a hosted environment, contact your host to get fileinfo enabled.

MacGig

works now. thanks. just had to check fileinfo in my cpanel settings for php. thanks. :)

Shambles

Yep. The fileinfo extension is required to allow software - in this case the SMF file interrogation function - to determine certain aspects of the file's attributes.

Advertisement: