Do you really NEED that feature / mod?

Started by landyvlad, April 20, 2020, 11:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

Quote from: Kindred on January 27, 2021, 09:53:40 AM
So, I both agree and disagree....

I agree that the absolute, "There and *NO* technical solutions to behavioral problems" is shorthand and, as an absolute is not correct.

However, it's not a myth. It is accurate (without the absolute)

It would be better phrased as "Attempting to use technical solutions to solve behavioral problems is doomed to failure in 90% of the cases"
Can you give us real examples where this apply in 90% of the cases "Attempting to use technical solutions to solve behavioral problems is doomed to failure in 90% of the cases"? And why and what technical solutions failed?

Is this considered as technical solution? My solution worked 100% instantly, and it is supposed to work 99% of time.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=575212.0

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on January 27, 2021, 09:53:40 AM
It would be better phrased as "Attempting to use technical solutions to solve behavioral problems is doomed to failure in 90% of the cases".

Yeah... "no" is a bit too radical as well IMO... this is more appropriate ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

GigaWatt

Quote from: efk on January 27, 2021, 06:57:19 PM
Is this considered as technical solution? My solution worked 100% instantly, and it is supposed to work 99% of time.

Just commenting on the registration questions part, the thing you expanded on with a10's method (really cool BTW ;)), but that's basically a technical solution for a technical problem... the point is to keep bots away from your forum, which it will, but bots are not people, they're programs/scripts running from somewhere, so... they're technical in nature ;). They just want to appear like they're human ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

landyvlad

No need to get so worked up about it, and rather diverges from my original post I think.

But whatever floats your boat.
"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with questions on astrophysics or theology.  You will get better and faster responses by asking homeless people in the street. Thank you.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.

efk

Quote from: GigaWatt on January 28, 2021, 03:55:16 AM
Quote from: efk on January 27, 2021, 06:57:19 PM

Just commenting on the registration questions part, the thing you expanded on with a10's method (really cool BTW ;)), but that's basically a technical solution for a technical problem... the point is to keep bots away from your forum, which it will, but bots are not people, they're programs/scripts running from somewhere, so... they're technical in nature ;). They just want to appear like they're human ;).
You misunderstood my point and my post. Expanded a10's method got more futuristic purpose, and it cover almost every possible case with real humans and if used wisely it is going to work in 100% situations. This link from my previous post is case human to human problem and it can not and must not be taken as a technical problem, but human behavior problem, and with technical solution and small effort it can be solved in short period of time.
It was 2.0 support topic and first hand results:

Quote from: Kindred on October 13, 2020, 09:47:28 PM
Not really much you can do...
Quote from: a10 on October 14, 2020, 03:42:35 AM
Can be a war of exhaustion. I'd start with assigning new registrations to a membergroup and use "hide posts until approved".

After I gave him detailed instructions how to set up entire system
Quote from: Mark S on October 16, 2020, 11:45:57 PM
I'm very pleased with the results of your advice. 

Thank you

Result: Forum improvement happened instantly, admin took full control in his hands before user was totally without control (and user was out of control).

This is result of years of fighting with people in extreme forum environment or around the internet, understanding their needs and motivation. It is supposed to work 99% of time if admin is smart enough to follow my ideas, and not to do the things on his own. And telling someone "there is nothing you can do" means only for forum owner that he can shut down his site. In this concrete situation it was so easy to solve the problem. Now these kind of problems can vary from situation to situation and sometimes it require different approach.

Quote from: landyvlad on February 01, 2021, 06:48:36 PM
No need to get so worked up about it, and rather diverges from my original post I think.

But whatever floats your boat.
Its about part from your 1st post in this topic and how people should change their point of view before its too late. I truly hope my posts will help to someone who is willing not to do usual mistakes. I can find and give more examples where technical solution solved human to human problem, but that is not the point here, all this is about ability to create entire picture and to predict and to stop unwanted incoming or existing events.

Kindred

No. Dealing with bots and spammersis not a social issue its always been a technical issue. Therefore your example is not indicative that my statement is flawed in any way
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Kindred on February 02, 2021, 12:01:17 AM
No. Dealing with bots and spammersis not a social issue its always been a technical issue. Therefore your example is not indicative that my statement is flawed in any way

Well... not completely, but let's say this part for example.

Quote from: efk on October 14, 2020, 09:34:40 PM
- Remove him chat privileges if you have shoutbox or similar, note now when he is under moderation you will still see it but he won't know what's going on. Try not to go with insta deletion unless if you must to do it.

- Now going with bans is not an option anymore, your job is to give him back his PRIMARY account, why - because his powers are there. Remove his avatar and set his Post count to 1, let him be powerless, he won't be able to send private messages and he will post but he will not be sure what's going on.

This is actually a technical solution to a social problem... well, it's not automated, if you're referring to that, but it uses technical tools to "solve" (sort of) a social problem ;).

And it's pretty good advice for just about any problematic user scenario ;).

Advertisement: