News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

IP addresses

Started by Mike63, April 22, 2020, 09:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike63

I am having a problem with IP addresses and the people on my SimpleMachines FORUM . . . all of the new people and SOME of the old people have the same IP address or one that is very similar to the incorrect one.  For instance, one of the people in my club just signed up and on the FORUM, it gave him an IP address from TEXAS and he and I both live in FLORIDA!!!

Any help would be totally nifty!!!

Thanks!

Sir Osis of Liver

Are you running a proxy (i.e., Cloudflare)?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

Also IP GEO location information is not always accurate it can vary greatly.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Mike63

Thanks for answering!

No proxy.

I hear you on the IP GEO location thing . . . but maybe 4-5-6 people on the FORUM membership all have the SAME IP ADDRESS!!!  And SPAMMERS have the same IP ADDRESS that the members have?????!!!!!

vbgamer45

What mods you have installed on your forum?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Illori

have you asked your host about this? maybe they are running something on the server that is causing this issue.

Mike63

Where do I find out what "mods" I have installed???

vbgamer45

Under
Administration Center » Package Manager » Installed Packages

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Mike63

Here's the Mod list I have . . . please note this SM FORUM has been functioning since ABOUT 2004-2005 or so!!

The list is attached!!!

Mike Jacobs

vbgamer45

The only one on that list that deal with IP's would be the last two.
I am thinking maybe httpBL might be the one though

When you visit the site does it record your ip correctly? you can verify by googling what is your ip address.

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

If any of those mods are as old as the forum, you can expect to have problems.  Save yourself a lot of grief (and your forum a lot of work) by removing all the anti-spam mods and use core verification questions instead.

- R. Waters

Mike63

Yes it gives me my correct IP address!

Mike

Mike63

Sir Osis . . . could you give me the numbers of the MOD list you would delete???

Thanks!

Mike

Sir Osis of Liver

I'd remove these, you can always reinstall if you have problems -

reCaptcha for SMF
Akismet Spam Blocking
Add Honey Pot to Track IP
httpBL

If you set up verification questions correctly, it's very effective.  You can add a visual element that makes it easier to generate questions (20-30, rotating 3 works well), and it's easier for people to use.  I've done that on several forums, it's been 100% effective.  This forum was running 4-5 anti-spam mods and a firewall, still having problems with bots and logging tons of errors.  All mods are removed, no bots and running clean, it's a busy forum.  Take a look at their registration page.

- R. Waters

Mike63

. . . I will . . . thanks for the advice.

How about all of the older SM updates????

Mike

Sir Osis of Liver

You can delete those.  If you're still at 2.0.15 you should update to .17.

- R. Waters

Mike63

I am so sorry to bother you again . . . thanks for the help before . . . but I can't seems to figure out how to change SMF 2.0.15 to SMF 2.0.17 . . . it seems to want to go to SMF 2.0.16 and when I say OK to that it gives me an error message!

One more bit of help please!!!

Thanks

Mike

vbgamer45

What error message does it say?

Mods:
SMF Gallery Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

If you're using package manager to update, you have to install the patches in sequence  - 2.0.15 > .16 > .17. 

- R. Waters

Mike63

vbgamer45 . . . I tried to update to 2.0.16 and it says something like "If you are not really experienced at this then don't try this.", so I didn't . . . those are my words but they give you the essence of what it said.  The problem is I NEVER EVER remember updating the my FORUM (since 2009 . . . I looked the date up) . . . does SimpleMachines ever update themselves???

Thanks for your help!!!

Mike

Advertisement: