retrieved members information from a former SMF board.

Started by aquascape, May 10, 2020, 05:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aquascape

I ve created a board that have some members.(2.0.5) which I am unable to normally access. (The board still in cpanel folders)
Now I created a fresh new board (2.0.17).
How can I transfer those members in the old board to the new board? I do not need anything except members and their general info.
TIA

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: aquascape on May 10, 2020, 05:23:06 AM
I ve created a board that have some members.(2.0.5) which I am unable to normally access. (The board still in cpanel folders)
How can I transfer those members in the old board to the new board? I do not need anything except members and their general info.
TIA

How are you not able to normally access it? And what do you mean by (The board still in cpanel folders). The best way would be to upload the large upgrade 2.0.17 package to your 2.0.5 forum, overwritting its folders and files. And although you will hear that running the upgrader is not needed as there are no db canges, I would suggest that you run it anyway.

Anyways, to do what you are asking, you must make a backup of the database of your 2.0.5 forum and then restore it to the db that you have used to install your 2.0.17 forum. And run the upgrader again. You should note however, that any mods and themes that you have installed might not function correctly this way. You must transfer their files too. The same goes for the attachments and avatars. That is way the first suggestion would be the best way imo.

Illori

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

do this on your non-working install.

if you want to move the database to another install, if it is not in the same location [URL/file path] you will need to fix the paths/URL.

What is repair_settings.php?

aquascape

Quote from: doug_ips on May 10, 2020, 06:27:01 AM
TIA

How are you not able to normally access it? And what do you mean by (The board still in cpanel folders). The best way would be to upload the large upgrade 2.0.17 package to your 2.0.5 forum, overwritting its folders and files. And although you will hear that running the upgrader is not needed as there are no db canges, I would suggest that you run it anyway.

Anyways, to do what you are asking, you must make a backup of the database of your 2.0.5 forum and then restore it to the db that you have used to install your 2.0.17 forum. And run the upgrader again. You should note however, that any mods and themes that you have installed might not function correctly this way. You must transfer their files too. The same goes for the attachments and avatars. That is way the first suggestion would be the best way imo.
Because My 2.0.5 crashed and I am unable to do anything about it.  I cant access the board via normal forum log in. I ve tried many ways but as I am not an IT expert. So I started my new board with separate folder ( the old one still in cpanel in other folder).

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: aquascape on May 10, 2020, 11:27:06 AM
Quote from: doug_ips on May 10, 2020, 06:27:01 AM
TIA

Because My 2.0.5 crashed and I am unable to do anything about it.  I cant access the board via normal forum log in. I ve tried many ways but as I am not an IT expert. So I started my new board with separate folder ( the old one still in cpanel in other folder).

Do you have ftp/cpanel access? If you do, we can guide you through the process.

P.s. How exactly did your forum crashed btw? What error is it throwing?

aquascape

It was when I upgrade the forum using downloaded large package. After that I was unable to open the front page to log in.
No I used the above suggestions and I can recovery the forum in 2.0.5 then upgrade to 2.0.17.
Thank you all help.

Advertisement: