News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Anyone got twitter Card Validator working?

Started by DreadPirateRoberts, May 16, 2020, 01:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreadPirateRoberts

Im wonder what to put inot the code so an image will show up when I put in twitter card validator to work. So far I know that this code works when I put into the header tags in index. template

<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary_large_image">
but I dont know what to put here so that twitter will take the BBc image on the first post to work? and also the title

<meta name="twitter:title" content="">
<meta name="twitter:image" content="">

Can someone help me?

Welcome to Agora Road's Macintosh Cafe || A retro design vaporwave community forum! Enjoy your stay!

drewactual

goes like this:

<meta property="og:url" content="your web address here" />
    <meta property="og:type" content="website" />
    <meta property="og:title" content="title of your page here" />
    <meta property="og:description" content="a little longer description here" />
    <meta property="og:image" content="address to image here, preferably in .png and proper size" />
    <meta name="twitter:card" content="summary" /> <!-- literally JUST the word summary, tells twitter what it is -->
    <meta name="twitter:site" content="@your twitter account name" />
    <meta name="twitter:title" content="site's title just like above in og:title" />
    <meta name="twitter:description" content="again like the OG description" />
    <meta name="twitter:image" content="address to the image you want twitter to use, can be same as og:image if you wish" />

you COULD use a php script to pull the first image and offer it up to twitter- but- twitter is known to cache these things and that may cause you issues... i find it better to use a static image.  if you want you can have a conditional script to offer different cards for different boards, which is something i do- but those are static too.

if you're relying on social media to drive traffic i highly rec you get the open graph and the cards right... along with prettyURL's, this impacts users who are more likely to engage when they can see a 'taste' of what they'll find on your page.  i know that is debatable to many here, but it's worked for me on several sites. 

Advertisement: