News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Large cellphone image attachments

Started by RFD, June 09, 2020, 04:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFD

Large cellphone attachment images typically will browser time out. 

Is there a method or mod or hack that will work with resizing the typical large cellphone (Android or I-Phone) image when uploaded as an attachment? 

This is for a direct upload of an image without resorting to first resizing it. 

Looking

There is actually a very good mod that does this... i think it is called Automatic Attachment Rotation and Resize. Try looking it up in the mod directory.

RFD

https://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=4087

I don't see in this mod description if or how it will stop large image browser time outs during the upload.

Sir Osis of Liver

I use this mod to resize attachments, but it doesn't solve the timeout problem.  The original large file has to upload before the mod can resize it.  It's not a browser timeout, it's the server cutting it off because it excedes upload_max_filesize in php settings.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

RFD

Quoteit's the server cutting it off because it exceeds upload_max_filesize in php settings.

can that setting be changed to better meet the larger images taken by a cellphone?

if so, what are any ramifications of increasing upload file sizes?

Sir Osis of Liver

If you have access to php.ini (and you're comfortable messing with it) you can change it there, or you may be able to access it via cPanel -> Software -> Select PHP Version if you have that option, or you can ask host support to do it.  I have it set to 512M.  Doesn't cause any problems, but your host may not allow it.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: