News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Cannot find language pack in downloads section.

Started by Antechinus, June 23, 2020, 06:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Avast, ye scurvy dogs!

https://download.simplemachines.org/index.php?languages

There's English (which is really Yankglish) and there's English_british (which really is English) but where is English_pirate?  >:(

Also, there's a bug in the pack on this site. Error messages really should say "I am disinclined to accede to your request". :)

Sir Osis of Liver

Is esperanto a real language?  Always thought it was a gag from Red Dwarf.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Yes, it's a real language, albeit with limited usage. It's an invented language though, not one that evolved naturally.

Arantor

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 23, 2020, 06:53:22 PM

That is the gag, it sounds so ridiculous that they used it as a gag but it is a very real thing.

Antechinus

This is interesting. Given what Esperanto was constructed from it occurred to me that this might be the case, and it seems to be borne out by several studies.

QuoteThe propaedeutic value of Esperanto is the utility of Esperanto as an introduction to foreign language study and its benefit on the teaching of subsequent foreign languages. Several studies, such as that of Helmar Frank at the University of Paderborn and the San Marino International Academy of Sciences, have concluded that one year of Esperanto in school, which produces an ability equivalent to what the average pupil reaches with European national languages after six to seven years of study, improves the ability of the pupil to learn a target language in comparison to that of pupils who spent the entire time learning the target language. For example, studying Esperanto for one year and then French for three years results in greater proficiency in French than when someone would only study French for four years. This effect was first described by Antoni Grabowski in 1908.
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaedeutic_value_of_Esperanto
Although you also have to wonder how useful it would be in the cases of non-Indo-European languages, since they wouldn't share any of the root words and various other things might be entirely different too.

shadav

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: you really want the pirate lingo  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

eh I can't say much, I'd probably install it too just for s&g

ok but seriously is there really a difference in the language files for english vs british english?
I'm not saying in speech, because yeah there's a big difference...but in terms of smf language files  :laugh:
I may have to winmerge and see

Antechinus

Yes, there is. The British version uses original English spelling for all words, while the US version uses funny spelling that doesn't make any sense to normal people. :P

If the team won't cough up the original pirate files (will hassle them until they really want me to shut up) I may even make my own.

Illori

i dont believe the language pack was ever completed, so it was not released.

Antechinus

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Arantor on June 23, 2020, 07:00:58 PM

That is the gag, it sounds so ridiculous that they used it as a gag but it is a very real thing.
Does it? I've heard a lot about it, it never occurred to me it might be a gag language. But I never saw anything in the actual language (and a quick search yields me lots of courses but no samples :P)
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Antechinus

Quote from: Gwenwyfar on June 24, 2020, 07:08:07 AM
Quote from: Arantor on June 23, 2020, 07:00:58 PM

Ĉu? Mi multon aŭdis pri ĝi, neniam al mi eble temas pri magia lingvo. Sed mi neniam vidis ion ajn en la fakta lingvo (kaj rapida serĉo donas al mi multajn kursojn, sed neniujn specimenojn. :P)

Google Translate does Esperanto too. :)

Gwenwyfar

Oh. Arigatou.

Hmm. Interesting. It sounds like it could be cool to speak. Hymnos is another that was made for a game but sounds neat. I think I'm a sucker for all things olden and unusual.

"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: