News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

copy and paste

Started by BCK, August 11, 2020, 07:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCK

I have version 2.0.17, ezportal...
sometimes when I copy something and then go to a thread and paste, preview it, shows fine, when actually post it, it only shows a part of the paste/post...happens often, it wont post all that was pasted, setting for post is zero no no limit ??? and not large sizes pasted anyway ?

efk

Are you using English letters only, or you use letters/special characters from another language? Set post limit to 50 000 for example and see if something changes, in case if other posts are not longer than that (because I don't know what can happen if longer than limit).
I'm not using ezportal.

BCK

was the same issue before installed ezportal,,and post limit set at zero, so no size limit,,they are english only and not very large..shows all in preview,,when post they not all there..

added.....could it be with firefox? just it does show all in preview ? before posting

efk

What mods do you have installed? Did it started after you had done some changes/installed mods or it just appeared?
From what I know WYSIWYG is bugged in case if you are using it.
Maybe can be something related with hosting/database, check for error log.
Idea install Post History 1.03 in case if you don't have it and see if you have full post in history stored, maybe you can revert to original full post.
Not sure why would your browser be a problem here, but try another browser just in case.

Arantor

Are you copying/pasting from Word with its weird non-standard apostrophes that aren't really valid in anything other than Word? If so copy/paste it into Notepad first.

Longer term solution: convert to UTF-8.

BCK

only the one mod and it happened before install,,reason mentioned browser was firefox has been known to disable some copy/paste things,, but it copies and pastes to thread, shows in preview, but only partial in actual post..

Arantor

Let me clarify: it is nothing to do with your mods, it's not really to do with your browser, it's to do with what you're copy/pasting and illegal characters in it.

BCK

not copying from word,,some internet news type things etc...

BCK

Illegal characters, what do you mean by that and why would it all show in preview before posting then not in post itself once posted ??

Arantor

Illegal characters, like Word's typographic quote marks are the main offender. There are many others, it's a hugely nasty and intractable problem - and preview works because it doesn't try to save it to the database. It's the saving that's the problem.

I should point out, this isn't some guess, this is a known issue I've seen ever since I was on the dev team and I started the path to the permanent fix in 2.1 (force move everyone to UTF-8) where this will go away in every single case I've seen in the last 10 years.

BCK

ok, cool, Thank You much for explanation...saved me from a bigger bald spot from rubbing my head...lol..thx again..

so if go to UTF-8 will solve issue..do i do that in site ?

efk

As Arantor said, go new text document and save as as utf-8, then open it and copy text first there and then to post.
I remember in past when using vBulletin forum that when I copy some huge yellow letters from some site and insert it to vBulletin forum, text will be inserted with that super size and effect, while my expectation is just to paste normal text, so had to use always google translate or later SMF post/message just to preview and copy from preview before posting on vBulletin forum which worked as expected normal text.

Quoteso if go to UTF-8 will solve issue..do i do that in site ?
I guess this above is answer on your question how to do it with text document.

BCK

Arantor

Quote from: efk on August 11, 2020, 08:15:10 PM
As Arantor said, go new text document and save as as utf-8, then open it and copy text first there and then to post.
I remember in past when using vBulletin forum that when I copy some huge yellow letters from some site and insert it to vBulletin forum, text will be inserted with that super size and effect, while my expectation is just to paste normal text, so had to use always google translate or later SMF post/message just to preview and copy from preview before posting on vBulletin forum which worked as expected normal text.

Quoteso if go to UTF-8 will solve issue..do i do that in site ?
I guess this above is answer on your question how to do it with text document.

Um, that won't help since the forum itself isn't UTF-8, you just end up with different mangling going on. The forum database itself is what needs the conversion.

The conversion is done in the admin panel in the maintenance area. TAKE A BACKUP FIRST.

BCK

ok, thats what I thought you meant originally..do I need to copy and save document elsewhere as UTF-8 before posting, or once set forum to it, then just copy and paste from original place ??

Arantor

Fix the forum, should be fine afterwards without needing to mess around with documents.

AlanDewey

I also use the  "Copy whatever, then paste into Notepad, then copy from Notepad and paste in" method.    I use it on several websites.

However, I find that in SMF there is a faster, easier, elegant way.

Start your topic or reply, and before pasting your text,  click the        button on the extreme right  then paste.   It removes all the formatting :-)   :-)
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Arantor

That's for stripping formatting in WYSIWYG, but this isn't a formatting problem.

BCK

Quote from: Arantor on August 12, 2020, 03:13:46 AM
Fix the forum, should be fine afterwards without needing to mess around with documents.

right on...Thank You Again

Advertisement: