News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Help with tweak to account settings page.

Started by North East Man, March 24, 2021, 07:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North East Man

I would like to make a couple of very minor tweaks to the user account settings page.  I actually would like to not allow users to have the option of being able to disable their online status.  I thought the simplest way to achieve this would be to find the line in the template and just disable that line.  However, I have looked through all the template files and can't seem to be able to find this section with the "allow users to email me" and "show users my online status".   

I also want to disable the email option as well, as (for privacy reasons) we don't want members being able to communicate via email via the forum.  We would prefer they use the PM system - If they give each other their email addresses and correspond directly then that is fine and their choice to do so, but we would prefer that email addresses were not distributed from our forum.  I have managed to disable all other links within the forum to facilitate email sending and now just want to remove this option on the account settings page.

I hope that all makes sense.

Using SMF 2.0.17

Sir Osis of Liver

You can remove email and status options from account settings in /Sources/Modify-Profile.php -

setupProfileContext(
array(
'member_name', 'real_name', 'date_registered', 'posts', 'lngfile', 'hr',
'id_group', 'hr',
'email_address', 'hide_email', 'show_online', 'hr',
'passwrd1', 'passwrd2', 'hr',
'secret_question', 'secret_answer',
)
);

Remove 'hide_email', 'show_online'.  You'd also need to run a query on smf_members table to reset hide_email and show_online both to '1' for all members.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shadav

for the hidden users

in admin under configuration go to features and options
under general
Allow non-administrators to hide their online status
make sure that is not checked

North East Man

Hello,

Thank you both - that's perfect.  Just what I wanted.  Presumably when I upgrade to next releases of 2.0.x these changes will be overridden and I would have to remove those parts of the file again?

Thanks once again.

Illori

as long as you use the package manager patches you will not need to do your edits again.

North East Man

Advertisement: