News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Better Blink BBC

Started by aegersz, April 28, 2021, 11:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

Link to Mod

Better Blink BBC
by aegersz

Introduction

This version uses hooks, inline css and allows you to control the blink rate (per second(s)); it should work on all browsers.

It has been tested and works for on 2.0.18 and 2.1 RC4.

The SMF 2.1 version is v1.32

It fades and blinks at a 2 second rate by default.

Usage

[blink]Text to blink[/blink] or [blink=5]Text to blink every 5 seconds[/blink]

Installation

Remember to uninstall any other blink BBC mods or disable any added via the Custom BBCodes Manager mod if you use it.

Credits

Note: the "blink.gif" button image is borrowed from the defunct blinkbbc_1-0 mod
and is renamed to "blink.png" for SMF 2.1 compatibility (it won't blink). However, the gif image is still valid for SMF 2.0.* and will blink.

Changelog

v1.32 (2014-04-28)
Change blink rate to "n" via "Blink=n" option

v1.31 (2021-05-03)
Use span instead of div to allow mixed usage on a single line and restructure the install/uninstall

v1.30 (2021-04-27)
For SMF 2.1 only (use the alternate zip file)

v1.24 (2014-04-28)

v1.23 (2021-05-03)
Use span instead of div to allow mixed usage on a single line

v1.22 (2021-04-27)
Implemented more of the customization's team's advice. For SMF 2.0.* but can be installed
in SMF 2.1's 2.0.14 Emulation mode

v1.21 (2021-04-27)
Prevent errors in validation as per customization's team's advice

v1.2 (2021-04-20
Use hooks instead

v1.0 (2021-04-20)
* Initial release
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

pocttopus

After uninstalling the mod there are some errors:

Type of error: General
Hook call: function "BBC_Blink2::bbc_button" in file /home/xxx/public_html/Sources/BBC-Blink.php could not be called.

Hook call: The file at path: /home/xxx/public_html/Sources/$sourcedir/BBC-Blink.php could not be loaded.

How can I fix them?
Forum version 2.1RC3
Mod version 1.30

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That looks like leftover hooks that should get removed on uninstall.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

pocttopus

aegersz

Admin > Maintenance > Integration Hooks.

You will see them in red.

This is not a mod problem I believe because it only happened on an old version of RC3 - it didn't happen on the latest version of the nightly download.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

pocttopus

Thanks, it solves the issue.  :)

Steve

Now that it's been approved, a couple of questions ...

Can the blink rate be easily changed?

This bbcode has to be used on a line by itself. Any way to change that? e.g. 'blinking text' and 'more text' all on the same line.
DO NOT pm me for support!

aegersz

The blinking rate is hard coded.

I will look into trying to get it on the same line but it will take me some time to look into it.

Apologies, I didn't test multiple blinks on the same line.

Steve

No worries. Not in any hurry. And I wasn't asking about multiple blinks on the same line, just more text allowed on the same line as any blinked text. :)

aegersz

v1.31 (2021-05-03)
Use span instead of div to allow mixed usage on a single line and restructure the install/uninstall

v1.23 (2021-05-03)
Use span instead of div to allow mixed usage on a single line

I have addressed your issues and there are now two new versions so please uninstall the old version and then reinstall the new version.

aegersz

Steve, try this new version that allows you to specify the blink rate:

[blink=1]1 second blink rate[/blink]) ... and let me know if you're happy with it.

Quote from: Steve on April 30, 2021, 09:49:09 AM
Now that it's been approved, a couple of questions ...

Can the blink rate be easily changed?

This bbcode has to be used on a line by itself. Any way to change that? e.g. 'blinking text' and 'more text' all on the same line.

aegersz

Quote from: pocttopus on April 29, 2021, 07:44:15 AM
After uninstalling the mod there are some errors:

Hook call: function "BBC_Blink2::bbc_button" in file /home/xxx/public_html/Sources/BBC-Blink.php could not be called.

Hook call: The file at path: /home/xxx/public_html/Sources/$sourcedir/BBC-Blink.php could not be loaded.

How can I fix them?
Forum version 2.1RC3
Mod version 1.30

This should be fixed after the install/uninstall was restructured. Check/remove the 2 hooks via:

Admin > Maintenance > Forum Maintenance > Integration Hooks

aegersz

Most recent updated versions:

v1.32 (2014-04-28)

v1.24 (2014-04-28)

Steve

Works beautifully!

Many thanks! :D

aegersz

You're most welcome - it makes me feel good that someone is interested in blinking BBC (!  :))

FrizzleFried

Hello... question,  is the button text supposed to be this big/ugly (no offense)?

If not.. how do I rectify that situation?  If so... how do I rectify that situation?  ;)

You cannot view this attachment.

FrizzleFried

Unfortunately,  I am also now getting this error... (SMF 2.1.1):

Today at 08:43:17 AM
 Iggy
 https://www.xxxxxxxx.com/cron.php
 /home/ahaforum/public_html/Sources/BBC-Blink.php (Line 17)  Backtrace information

Type of error: Cron
Error messageSelect
8: Undefined index: html_headers

FrizzleFried

Son of a B....

After UNINSTALLING successfully this mod has left something behind (i suspect that stupid ugly BBC button or some parts of it) and it's filling my error log up.

Where do i go to fix this problem manually?

Someone needs to but a block on this MOD for 2.1.1...

osver
 5b355b68a40d5ab5e12b7bc2fbd80117
 https://www.xxxxxx.com/index.php?topic=34909.msg839022;topicseen  Backtrace information

Error messageSelect
Hook call: function "BBC_Blink_Button::bbc_button" in file /home/ahaforum/public_html/Sources/BBC-Blink.php could not be called.

FrizzleFried

Nevermind... my apologies... i should READ THE DAMN THREAD FIRST.  I am guessing I just need to remove the integration hook.

Diego Andrés

That's part of SMF, you shouldn't be commenting that...
If your issue was fixed removing that line, it means that the mod left some integration hooks behind even after uninstalling.
You should go into Admin > Maintenance > Integration hooks. Then attempt to locate the one hook from this mod causing issues, and disable/delete it.

You beat me to it  :laugh:

Quote from: FrizzleFried on March 01, 2022, 12:00:04 PMNevermind... my apologies... i should READ THE DAMN THREAD FIRST.  I am guessing I just need to remove the integration hook.

Yes.

I'm not exactly sure what the issue is on this mod, might try it out later.

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Advertisement: