News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Suggestion for LIKES feature...

Started by Douglas, July 21, 2021, 09:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Douglas

Quote from: Hogville Member #938Will there be a point that we can see the likes we have accrued, or is that a thing of the past? If it's a thing of the past ( seeing the number of likes), why have it?

Gotta agree here... would be nice to have a page (paginated, of course) that shows/links to posts we like. Could be tied in with the alerts section, I suppose. :)

Thanks!
Doug Hazard
* Full Stack (Web) Developer for The Catholic Diocese of Richmond
(20+ Diocesan sites, 130+ Church sites & 24 School sites)
* Sports Photographer and Media Personality
* CFB Historian
* Tech Admin for one 1M+ post, one 2M+ post and one 10M+ post sites (last two are powered by multiple servers)
* WordPress Developer (Junkie / Guru / Maven / whatever)

Sesquipedalian

It's a good idea, but at this point that will need to be a mod. It's too late to add that into the core features of 2.1. Maybe for post-2.1 versions, though. :)
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Douglas on July 21, 2021, 09:57:45 AM
Quote from: Hogville Member #938Will there be a point that we can see the likes we have accrued, or is that a thing of the past? If it's a thing of the past ( seeing the number of likes), why have it?

Gotta agree here... would be nice to have a page (paginated, of course) that shows/links to posts we like. Could be tied in with the alerts section, I suppose. :)

Thanks!

I think the quote you've posted is more in-line with people's expectations. I feel there's more value to be had from knowing the number of likes received than those given. That said other platforms do list both although there's no link as far as I'm aware to the content a member liked, just the total number of likes given.

Shades.

I was just looking around to see how many likes I may have accrued and saw this thread. :D

Anybody working on a mod to do this or maybe one I missed? O:)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

jsx

I support the idea that Douglas quoted and also what he wrote. It would be very good if somebody extended the likes system in 2.1 to make that system more advanced, that there is also a page that will display the user's posts that have been liked by other users. It is worth seeing how the likes system is built in the Invision Community, XenForo, ElkArte software and it's also worth taking a look at the Like Posts system for SMF 2.0

So there are already two suggestions to modify the likes system in SMF 2.1 :)

Arantor

It'll never happen in 2.1. A theoretical 2.2, or 3.0, sure, but if you keep asking for things in 2.1, 2.1 will never ever be done. At some point you have to accept that 'for this version', there is a line that must be the finish line.

Unless you want to hammer out 2.1 RC 10 and have 2.1 final in 2030 or so. It was a funny joke to me in 2011 to laugh about it in 2020 but here we are because people keep pushing it back to get just one more thing in. Let it go, put it on the list for the next one, so everyone can actually *get* to the next one.

Steve

I agree with Arantor. What he said should make absolute sense to everyone.
DO NOT pm me for support!

jsx

@Arantor

I agree with what you wrote and thanks for those words, I just like SMF for many years and just wanted to propose it. I wish 2.1.0 would finally come out, but still it can't come out, as the progress bar is close to 100% then again that is decreasing and it's 93%. I know you do it in your spare time as a hobby, respect for that.

Do you have too few people on the team for the development of SMF 2.1? Is that why releasing it officially gives you so much trouble?

Arantor

I'm not part of the team. I haven't been part of the team since 2014, nor will I rejoin. Whatever the causes, are the team's business.

jsx

The SMF people split up. That's why many have left and some have started the ElkArte project.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That is simplifying things more than a bit, the team isn't a constant - it is alive and evolving. People come, people go, people may return - I know, I've done all that more than once.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

That is a huge and dramatic simplification. We will conveniently also discount Wedge, Protendo, NitroBB, DragonBB and StoryBB (at a minimum).

jsx

I mean it's just a pity that Arantor doesn't come back to the SMF team, with his vast knowledge and skills the project would have gone faster.

Arantor

Quote from: jsx on December 30, 2021, 03:50:21 PMI mean it's just a pity that Arantor doesn't come back to the SMF team, with his vast knowledge and skills the project would have gone faster.

Hell to the no.

jsx

I will ask about it in this topic. Guys, why Machines and not Machine?

Simple Machines forum means machines (multiple machines).
Simple Machine Forum means a machine (one machine).

Steve

Let's ask that in the Chit Chat section please. Since the initial suggestion has been addressed, a discussion on team make-up is discouraged. Locking.

Edit: a request was made to unlock this with the promise of not discussing team make-up (at least, in the way it was being discussed) so I've done so.

However, I do recommend staying on topic so searches don't turn up unhelpful results. :)
DO NOT pm me for support!

Advertisement: