Does sql upload continue in SSH if I close terminal window?

Started by Sono, September 01, 2021, 10:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sono

My webhost's cpanel offers a terminal app to manage things in SSH on my space. I noticed that when I start importing a database in the terminal with the command: "mysql", close the terminal window, come back again, and type "top" into the newly opened terminal window, I can see the "mysql" command still running. Is it possible to start the import and close the borwser and wait like this for the process to finish, or in case the browser is closed, after a while the process will shut itself off due to my inactivity? When I do the same with Putty, that is disconnect while the "msql" process running, the disconnection terminates the import process as well. In Cpanel, this seems to be different.

Arantor

Normally you want to use the `screen` command to be able to run it in the background, though unfortunately talking you through how to do this is a bit out of the scope of what we can do here.

I'm sure there's a few good tutorials online for it, though, but the idea is that you log in, run screen, then run the mysql command line client in that screen and when you disconnect, you're disconnecting from the server but the 'screen' is still running and you can reconnect to it later.

cPanel however is very much a law unto itself as to what it does.

Sono

But until the "top" command is listing 'mysql' as running, theoretically it is working on the import, isn't it?

vbgamer45

You can check the mysql process list which would should you inside mysql itself.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Arantor

Quote from: Sono on September 01, 2021, 04:54:44 PMBut until the "top" command is listing 'mysql' as running, theoretically it is working on the import, isn't it?

Depending on your server infrastructure, that might be the server itself, not the client.

Advertisement: