What kind of themes do the SMF users want to see for SMF 2.1?

Started by TwitchisMental, February 27, 2022, 01:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcosbr

Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: marcosbr on May 29, 2022, 08:19:53 PMAre we talking about 2.0 or 2.1?

2.1.x. As per the topic title. 'What kind of themes do the SMF users want to see for SMF 2.1?'

FrizzleFried

Quote from: TwitchisMental on May 28, 2022, 05:27:32 PM
Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMWe have a number of very good themes that make SMF look like SMF ... in a bunch of different colors.  What we need is more mods that CHANGE the way that SMF looks.  Think outside the box.  Perhaps an icon oriented theme... or cell based theme with posts presented in cells, etc.  Or maybe a theme that doesn't use the traditional "SMF" rounded square theme but goes maybe with a beveled edge
Please note this is not me disagreeing or agreeing. 

Why would you want to change the way it looks? If there something in particular that you do not like about it?

Well.. why not?  We have a number of Curve2 esque looking themes... was just suggesting to think outside the box.  There isn't anything specific I don't like about Curve2 (I actually use the stock theme personally on my own forum which offers 4 different themes)...

QuoteSecond, you mention that we have alot of default variations, which we do. With that said though we have quite a few themes that are certainly not just a SMF default theme remix. UI.S by gecitli or Feather by Mick. just for some examples. 

Are you just wanting more themes like those, or do you feel that they are not custom enough?

I was just answering the original question.  I really don't have anything specific in mind.

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMMaybe a series of themes attempting to match in look the stock theme for 1.x and 2.0.x?

Because that would require redoing every single template and seems kind of counter productive imho. Some more experienced SMF users have explained why this is not a good idea in the past.

Again,  just answering the question.  Would you like to know what I (and others evidently as it had been explained prior) would like to see as an SMF 2.1 theme?  We'd like to see a theme that mimics Curve ... and perhaps the 1.0 stock theme.  If it can't happen, it can't happen,  but that's what we'd like to see made.  Can it get close without too much work?  Something to think about.  Heck,  we've had users state the reason they've not moved from 2.0.x to 2.1.x is because they much prefer the older Curve theme.  If we got close with a 2.1 theme... that may alleviate that issue and more people would be on board to upgrading to 2.1.x... but again... sounds like it's been discussed and it's not going to happen.  Not sure if it "can't" happen or simply "won't" happen though as I'm not privy to the prior discussions on the matter.

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMMaybe a series of themes attempting to match your favorite NON-SMF stock theme?
The issue with this is license and permission.  You can not just simply rip another theme and then upload it to the theme site.
You need to get permissions and make sure that the license allows you to do so.

SMF itself also has a pretty strict rule on Unauthorized Use Of Creative Works.

With that said, one can certainly take inspiration from other themes/skins of other software.

I meant to mimic the overall "layout" of each of these other forums...not the specific copywritten graphics, etc...

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMHow about a stock curve2 looking theme but with a built in switchable dark-mode?  Hell,  go nuts,  offer up a bunch of different color options all with the same stock Curve2 look. That would become my GO-TO if it were available. 

Wouldn't this kind of counter your want for more customized themes?  With that said I think Curve Reborn would up your alley.

It would... except that is a 2.0 theme,  not a 2.1 theme.  If it was a 2.1 theme it would likely cover it.  :D

Antechinus

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 30, 2022, 10:08:54 AM
Quote from: FrizzleFriedMaybe a series of themes attempting to match in look the stock theme for 1.x and 2.0.x?
Because that would require redoing every single template and seems kind of counter productive imho. Some more experienced SMF users have explained why this is not a good idea in the past.
Again,  just answering the question.  Would you like to know what I (and others evidently as it had been explained prior) would like to see as an SMF 2.1 theme?  We'd like to see a theme that mimics Curve ... and perhaps the 1.0 stock theme.  If it can't happen, it can't happen,  but that's what we'd like to see made.  Can it get close without too much work?
It's not hard to do. The hard bit is finding someone who is interested in doing it. For example, I could easily do a theme that looked like 2.0.x Curve, but I never liked the detailing in default form anyway (particularly the typography) so I would not code a theme that looked exactly the same as the default Curve. I'd have to change some things to make it bearable for me.

As for the 1.1.x Core theme: never did like it, so would not be interested in replicating it. :)

marcosbr

Quote from: efk on May 29, 2022, 09:09:19 AMIn my opinion the best one ever created for SMF are made by Ricky. https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=profile;u=34192
And that style should be standard for most of themes, simple and beautiful and before everything else easy to navigate and use.
 Tepid Multi-variant https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2637
 Rusty White https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2515
 LampShade https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2708
 Dhari https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2463

Yup. But it seems like everyone just wants 2.0 themes . ;D

He wants to "create" a theme and not copy one.
It was what I understood!
Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

shawnb61

I have been debating sharing our experience in this thread; this might be a bit of a hot take...  We updated our forum to 2.1 a while back, and spent some time trying new themes out.

In general, there are a lot of very good themes for 2.1 out there today, in terms of color palette and look & feel.  Beautiful stuff.  But we ultimately built our own.  (Which I did NOT want to do...)

We looked mainly at darker/simpler themes.  We encountered issues, mostly with mobile usage:
 - Lots of contrast issues, especially with dark themes - dark text on a charcoal background (& sometimes light text on light backgrounds)
 - Transparent menus that were unreadable on mobile/overlapped with content
 - Sometimes, menus didn't work at all on mobile
 - Overlapping/crunched up text/labels on mobile
 - Helpful features (menus, social media helpers) that ate up too much real estate on mobile & wouldn't go away, often obscuring post content

All themes we looked at worked great on either smartphone *OR* desktop, but not both.  Most testing was done on FF/Windows/Android. 

So... Short version:  Better mobile support.  More dark themes. 

Something I'd like to see more of?  More light/dark complimentary themes with a one-button toggle. 

Crazy ideas:
 - User specified background images for headers (without editing .css/templates)
 - User specified forum titles/fonts (independent of bk images) (without editing .css/templates)
 - Background animations...  Subtle, simple...  It can happen...

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Antechinus

Quote from: shawnb61 on May 30, 2022, 06:42:32 PMWe looked mainly at darker/simpler themes.  We encountered issues, mostly with mobile usage...
Those are just issues with the theme author not testing everything. File a bug report. :D

QuoteCrazy ideas:
 - User specified background images for headers (without editing .css/templates)
 - User specified forum titles/fonts (independent of bk images) (without editing .css/templates)
 - Background animations...  Subtle, simple...  It can happen...
None of those are hard to set up (first two are just basic admin settings, presumably per board*) but what sort of background animations are you thinking of?

*Well, simple to set up the settings, but offhand I'm not sure what you would do if someone specifies a non-available font (which they will certainly do, sooner or later). Expecting non-coders to set up an actual font stack is probably unrealistic. You'd need a fallback to a generic font-family, at the very least.

Probably the sanest way of handling it would be to insert any specified font-family names into the start of an existing preset font stack.

TwitchisMental

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 30, 2022, 10:08:54 AM
Quote from: TwitchisMental on May 28, 2022, 05:27:32 PM
Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMWe have a number of very good themes that make SMF look like SMF ... in a bunch of different colors.  What we need is more mods that CHANGE the way that SMF looks.  Think outside the box.  Perhaps an icon oriented theme... or cell based theme with posts presented in cells, etc.  Or maybe a theme that doesn't use the traditional "SMF" rounded square theme but goes maybe with a beveled edge
Please note this is not me disagreeing or agreeing. 

Why would you want to change the way it looks? If there something in particular that you do not like about it?

Well.. why not?  We have a number of Curve2 esque looking themes... was just suggesting to think outside the box.  There isn't anything specific I don't like about Curve2 (I actually use the stock theme personally on my own forum which offers 4 different themes)...

QuoteSecond, you mention that we have alot of default variations, which we do. With that said though we have quite a few themes that are certainly not just a SMF default theme remix. UI.S by gecitli or Feather by Mick. just for some examples. 

Are you just wanting more themes like those, or do you feel that they are not custom enough?

I was just answering the original question.  I really don't have anything specific in mind.

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMMaybe a series of themes attempting to match in look the stock theme for 1.x and 2.0.x?

Again,  just answering the question.  Would you like to know what I (and others evidently as it had been explained prior) would like to see as an SMF 2.1 theme?  We'd like to see a theme that mimics Curve ... and perhaps the 1.0 stock theme.  If it can't happen, it can't happen,  but that's what we'd like to see made.  Can it get close without too much work?  Something to think about.  Heck,  we've had users state the reason they've not moved from 2.0.x to 2.1.x is because they much prefer the older Curve theme.  If we got close with a 2.1 theme... that may alleviate that issue and more people would be on board to upgrading to 2.1.x... but again... sounds like it's been discussed and it's not going to happen.  Not sure if it "can't" happen or simply "won't" happen though as I'm not privy to the prior discussions on the matter.

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMMaybe a series of themes attempting to match your favorite NON-SMF stock theme?
The issue with this is license and permission.  You can not just simply rip another theme and then upload it to the theme site.
You need to get permissions and make sure that the license allows you to do so.

SMF itself also has a pretty strict rule on Unauthorized Use Of Creative Works.

With that said, one can certainly take inspiration from other themes/skins of other software.

I meant to mimic the overall "layout" of each of these other forums...not the specific copywritten graphics, etc...

Quote from: FrizzleFried on May 27, 2022, 06:26:18 PMHow about a stock curve2 looking theme but with a built in switchable dark-mode?  Hell,  go nuts,  offer up a bunch of different color options all with the same stock Curve2 look. That would become my GO-TO if it were available. 

Wouldn't this kind of counter your want for more customized themes?  With that said I think Curve Reborn would up your alley.

It would... except that is a 2.0 theme,  not a 2.1 theme.  If it was a 2.1 theme it would likely cover it.  :D
You know... I completely missed curve reborn being 2.0 my bad. XD

I thank you for the response. As I said before, I am not agreeing or disagreeing, just wanting to get others views on things.

hottakes

I appreciate all the "out there" themes, some of those look really cool on their own.

But most of the time, I want a "boring" theme. I want a theme that gets out of the way. I want the content of the forum to get the attention, not the theme itself.
What's in the way and what's out of the way is a matter of debate, of course, and it changes over the years, with different style fashions...
But in general I think most XenForo forums I've seen over the last years look nice (not perfect, though).

I'm also against needless distractions in forums, which sap our energy, whether we're aware of it or not. For example, does the "Logged" text really need to be there for all users to see? (No, it doesn't.)

Then there's the matter of choosing the right fonts and the right colors and contrasts... an often overlooked aspect.
For example, I was checking out Flatline and while the theme looks kinda nice, there's just something off about the colors/fonts. It's not easy on the eyes and in some parts it's hard to read. I've noticed the same in some other themes by other authors.

So personally, I'd like to see more polish and more work on the basic aspects, attention to detail and compatibility/bug fixes. I think this is more important than experimental/wacky designs.

efk

Quote from: marcosbr on May 30, 2022, 06:31:03 PM
Quote from: efk on May 29, 2022, 09:09:19 AMIn my opinion the best one ever created for SMF are made by Ricky. https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?action=profile;u=34192
And that style should be standard for most of themes, simple and beautiful and before everything else easy to navigate and use.
 Tepid Multi-variant https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2637
 Rusty White https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2515
 LampShade https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2708
 Dhari https://custom.simplemachines.org/index.php?theme=2463

Yup. But it seems like everyone just wants 2.0 themes . ;D

He wants to "create" a theme and not copy one.
It was what I understood!
Topic author asked what people expect from themes and what people want to be available for SMF 2.1.x. So as someone who was playing around Photoshop and online editors for years I barely see some quality in existing themes and its too much of blue, red, green or orange on available themes, I'm talking in general, if not these mentioned colors then its black or white - here again I am not fan of black, some people are just addicts to black, I don't like much too much of white but for my sight its better than black, and the best is some gray variants in combination with not aggressive colors.
The best way to go is to copy some ideas from old themes and prime example is Tepid Multi-variant because it comes in Grey and Orange with outstanding style, and it could be even simpler than that. Making a theme which is available in multiple colors but keeping simplicity will cover most of user, of course there are always people who wants to feel like its year 2200 and not 2022, so they will have special needs. My vision for simple themes goes back to time after 2000, there must be material to make something good and not too aggressive.
Personally I will probably never move my main forum to 2.1 because devs had made too aggressive changes on 2.1 to satisfy some group of people who requested visual changes where other part of people who wanted to keep going with simple SMF are being ignored and until new themes get visually fixed for 2.1 to be very similar to 2.0, I don't think people will move from 2.0.x. I still see this forum as vBulletin product since every time I visit it it reminds me on one dead forum which was on vBulletin 4 and that visual thing is always pushing me away.

Antechinus

Quote from: hottakes on June 15, 2022, 04:33:21 AMThen there's the matter of choosing the right fonts and the right colors and contrasts... an often overlooked aspect.

For example, I was checking out Flatline and while the theme looks kinda nice, there's just something off about the colors/fonts. It's not easy on the eyes and in some parts it's hard to read. I've noticed the same in some other themes by other authors.
Some of the contrast ratios are too low. You can tell that at a glance from the screenshots (I haven't bothered checking what the actual ratios are).

QuoteSo personally, I'd like to see more polish and more work on the basic aspects, attention to detail and compatibility/bug fixes. I think this is more important than experimental/wacky designs.
Ideally we could have both (for people who want the less conventional designs). But yes, themers tend to get the idea for "a theme" and then concentrate on that to the exclusion of anything else.

TwitchisMental

Quote from: hottakes on June 15, 2022, 04:33:21 AMFor example, I was checking out Flatline and while the theme looks kinda nice, there's just something off about the colors/fonts. It's not easy on the eyes and in some parts it's hard to read. I've noticed the same in some other themes by other authors.
I appreciate the feedback. I didn't go to far off from the original version that I made for 2.0 way back.  Quite a few people downloaded it at the time. You could say it was mostly a copy paste for the 2.1 version... mostly... lol.

If you would like to discuss this further, please post your feedback on the support thread.
Quote from: hottakes on June 15, 2022, 04:33:21 AMSo personally, I'd like to see more polish and more work on the basic aspects, attention to detail and compatibility/bug fixes. I think this is more important than experimental/wacky designs.
Guilty as charged. As I have learned with Blue Evolution.

Quote from: Antechinus on June 15, 2022, 05:45:43 PM
Quote from: hottakes on June 15, 2022, 04:33:21 AMThen there's the matter of choosing the right fonts and the right colors and contrasts... an often overlooked aspect.

Some of the contrast ratios are too low. You can tell that at a glance from the screenshots (I haven't bothered checking what the actual ratios are).

QuoteSo personally, I'd like to see more polish and more work on the basic aspects, attention to detail and compatibility/bug fixes. I think this is more important than experimental/wacky designs.
Ideally we could have both (for people who want the less conventional designs). But yes, themers tend to get the idea for "a theme" and then concentrate on that to the exclusion of anything else.

I appreciate the feedback. There is alot of truth there. 

Cookieswithcoffee

Quote from: Antechinus on May 28, 2022, 06:05:00 PM
Quote from: Cookieswithcoffee on May 27, 2022, 06:55:22 PMCan you direct me toward info to change the daft colors to transparent or to match the current background?
Sure. Just look for .locked or .sticky or .approve in the CSS, and remove the color codes there. Those classes will then revert to using the standard post colors. There is also code for odd and even .windowbg, if you don't like the alternating rows look, remove that too.

**Thank you!! I was able to make the change for posts. -happy dance- Can you tell me how to change the same issue for new private messages?

tapwag

Quote from: TwitchisMental on February 27, 2022, 01:08:19 PMSo I ask the SMF Community, what are you looking for in a SMF 2.1 theme?
I just upgraded our German Fantasy Roleplaying forum (which is non-profit) to 2.1 and would love to see "OmegaBrown" to be ported to 2.1.

TwitchisMental

Quote from: tapwag on July 31, 2022, 05:39:31 AM
Quote from: TwitchisMental on February 27, 2022, 01:08:19 PMSo I ask the SMF Community, what are you looking for in a SMF 2.1 theme?
I just upgraded our German Fantasy Roleplaying forum (which is non-profit) to 2.1 and would love to see "OmegaBrown" to be ported to 2.1.
It would be best to contact the original theme author to do that.

nemwar

Hi everybody,

the initial question: which kind of theme i wanna see?

A transparent theme. So a background-image is shine throug the whole forum.... also the option to set a custom wide of the forum i truly miss...
Also custom boardicons... i would be very great...

Such a theme could be modified easily to fit a lot of online games or similiar...

In SMF 2.x i changed "Beltane" very easily but in 2.1 i can't change anything... i'm no coder ...

You like Guild Wars?
You still play Guild Wars?
Then you may like to visit my website:
Guild Wars Characters Reloaded

Antechinus

You can easily do custom board icons in 2.1 with the default theme. I should probably write a tutorial for it sometime.

Zatalyz

I don't know if TwitchisMental is still looking for theme ideas to make, and if the idea can please but if ever...

I'm very nostalgic for the forum themes of the 2000s around phpbb2. And I'm not the only one; we had long discussions in my community about what was wrong with the SMF theme and why so many of us like the phpbb2 one. There is something in this theme that worked really well. The current default SMF theme is pretty good but it still lacks a few things. Also, without reproducing exactly the visual of phpbb2, I would like to have a "Nostalgia" theme. I started to work on it, but the php part is really too complex for me, for the moment. I would like to say that if I liked the visual of phpbb2, I prefer a thousand times the SMF administration : more sober, simpler, more efficient. I leave phpbb for good reason  ;)

In what I could note:
- There is no need for a quick response or editing. We like to take our time, on a forum, and therefore open a new window to write.
- The link to unread posts is essential. Fortunately it is already more visible with the current theme.
- A "messages from the last 24 hours" function would be appreciated. It seems a bit redundant with unread posts but, hey, if people like it too, I try to give it to them.
- Separate the "reply" and "views" columns. I don't know why, but it looks better.
- Put "message", "post", "reply", "last post" in the column header, not in the rows of each table entry. It repeats less the same information.
- The link to the RSS feed easy to find. It disappeared with the new theme?
- Under the post is only for signature. Button to edit, report, moderate is better up the post.

No doubt there are other things to address this nostalgia. I'm trying to make some progress on my side, but it's extraodinary difficult. I know how to change some colors and icons in CSS but understanding the php calls and reorganizing them is another matter!

Antechinus

Those are all personal preference. For example, I think the edit/report/moderate buttons make far more sense below the post content. I even re-coded SMF 1.1.x 2.0.x to put them there (in custom themes) and you can blame me for pushing the change in 2.1 Alpha (although plenty of others agreed with it).

IOW, a lot pf people think buttons above the post is worse, not better. ;) But, if you want to move them in a custom theme it's not difficult to do, although the responsive side of things might get a bit tricky..

Zatalyz

QuoteThose are all personal preference.
Certainly, it reflects personal tastes, that's the whole point of the themes  ;D
I do not claim that these proposals are the only way to do it, only that it is a variation that interests some people and it be pleasant to have this in a template.

Advertisement: