News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF can't send mails

Started by Padali, July 04, 2022, 05:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padali

Hello to the SMF community, this is my first post!

I created a site and set up a SMF forum and everything is working fine, the only problem is that the forum cannot send mails for PMs and new member registrations, I get the following error:

"mail() has been disabled for security reasons"

I wanted to know if I can fix this problem or if I should use another alternative instead, like SMPT mail.

Thank you.

marcosbr

Nothing in life is absolute. We are always learning... Did you know that?
https://amigosdaeletronica.com.br

Kindred

Talk to your host..hosting...

Or set up an smtp connection  to a service.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Padali

Quote from: Kindred on July 04, 2022, 06:39:04 PMTalk to your host..hosting...

Thank you for your reply. I'm not really sure what SMTP supplier should I use, please, could you recommend me a free SMTP provider that works fine with SMF? thank you very much  :)

RML

Quote from: Kindred on July 04, 2022, 06:39:04 PMOr set up an smtp connection  to a service.

It won't help. You have to talk to your host. I had the same problem recently and they said they disabled the outgoing mails because spam e-mails were sent from my account from an e-mail address I even didn't had.

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Padali on July 04, 2022, 10:41:26 PM

Thank you for your reply. I'm not really sure what SMTP supplier should I use, please, could you recommend me a free SMTP provider that works fine with SMF? thank you very much  :)

GMail works fine. You will have to create an "app password" for SMF though because of how Google handles security now, but it's pretty simple.

I would still talk to your host though because disabling the mail function isn't the solution to preventing spam from being sent through their servers.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

live627

Quote from: Padali on July 04, 2022, 10:41:26 PM

are you able to create add hosted email account in cpanel or what have you? The first email that goes there contains smtp settings. But maybe they also disabled that...

Advertisement: