News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

calling SSI for permission to see a Wordpress page

Started by rcane, October 21, 2022, 09:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcane

1. is it possible to use a <code> widget/module in Wordpress and include the SSI?  I'd like to make a few more "elaborate" pages using a builder I have, but restrict its view if a person is a ['guest']. ?

2. if so, is there something specific about including php in the code modules--sort of in the vein of using $wpdb when you're trying to make queries from within Wordpress pages?

I tried a very simple page, using a typical include ../SSI.php and the subsequent user check, and the page just ignored it. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Be warned, generally combining WP and SMF makes for a difficult couple to work with.
Wordpress is designed to be as static as possible, avoiding dynamic stuff like this.

You would most likely get better results with some sort of integration, where SMF and WP share membergroups, and you limit pages based on those groups.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 21, 2022, 09:42:04 AMBe warned, generally combining WP and SMF makes for a difficult couple to work with.
Wordpress is designed to be as static as possible, avoiding dynamic stuff like this.

You would most likely get better results with some sort of integration, where SMF and WP share membergroups, and you limit pages based on those groups.

I just don't want to have to create a separate log-in and registration process.

What about something that uses a 'view' table that copies only the essential items to verify a user--from SMF over to the WP tables?

But, wouldn't I have to do something like:   from within SMF, click the button to goto the WP page, and write their user name (albeit temporarily for the session) to a WP table, and then have that table compare against the member group view table?

I've never worked with WP member groups so this is new territory.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I mean something like this https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=228

Wordpress does have functionality to limit page visibility based on user info, and combined with a bridge that grabs data from SMF you should be able to just use SMF logins in Wordpress.

I have no real experience doing this myself though, so I am not the best person to try and walk anyone through this, even though I do use both WP and SMF separately.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

rcane

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 21, 2022, 10:05:19 AMI mean something like this https://www.smfhacks.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;id=228

Wordpress does have functionality to limit page visibility based on user info, and combined with a bridge that grabs data from SMF you should be able to just use SMF logins in Wordpress.

I have no real experience doing this myself though, so I am not the best person to try and walk anyone through this, even though I do use both WP and SMF separately.

thanks I'll take a look. 

Advertisement: