E-mail notifications not properly migrated from 2.0

Started by _Jojo_, November 17, 2022, 01:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

_Jojo_

I'm not sure if this is a bug or by design, but if it is by design, it's a bit troublesome for people that don't obsessively visit our forum every day.

I have recently upgraded a SMF 2.0 forum to SMF 2.1, and it seems like pretty much all e-mail notifications have been disabled. Anything from notifications to threads you have been subscribed to, new threads in boards you're watching, and most crucially moderation mails such as notifications when a new member signs up.

I can fully accept if this is how things are in a newly created forum, but is it by design that all of these things no longer result in e-mails being sent after migrating a forum, or is it a bug? If it's by design, is there a query I could run to convert old SMF 2.0 notifications to SMF 2.1 from my database backup?

Kindred

I don't believe that is intentional.... and I don't believe that anyone else has noted that issue -- which suggests that something might have gone wrong with your upgrade.

Did you upgrade directly to 2.1.2?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

_Jojo_

Yep, from the latest 2.0 to 2.1.2. I did notice that in several forums that I administer, e-mail notifications are turned off for (almost?) all alert categories by default. At the very least I would expect to keep receiving emails for topics I have subscribed to for example, but in all forums that I migrated this is how that specific notification setting ended up, see attached screenshot.

_Jojo_

Maybe for more context, here are the full notification settings I have on that board with an account that I think should be more or less a global moderator account. It's been a few days since the upgrades so I don't remember specifically if I already changed any of the notification settings on that forum. What definitely struck me as odd was that birthday reminder email: I have never enabled this setting on any of my forums, yet it was one of the few notification settings that was turned on consistently on all forums that I migrated.

Edit: It almost looks to me like the email settings are exactly inverted compared to the original 2.0 settings.

m4z

There was a bug in the RC stage, not sure if/how it was fixed. I'll try to find the details, but that will probably take a couple of days.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

live627

Quote from: _Jojo_ on November 17, 2022, 01:29:46 PMI have recently upgraded a SMF 2.0 forum to SMF 2.1, and it seems like pretty much all e-mail notifications have been disabled. Anything from notifications to threads you have been subscribed to, new threads in boards you're watching, and most crucially moderation mails such as notifications when a new member signs up.
When this forum was upgraded, I also lost all email notifications to threads. Luckily, they were still listed in my notification settings, but were somehow nerfed to alerts only. I had to manually go in and change them all.

_Jojo_

That's unfortunate, and I think it's a bit impractical to ask a couple of thousand users across several forums to adjust their notifications (especially those users that might only visit the forum when they receive an email notification, which is definitely how I treat at least some forums). It does feel like a bug in the migraiton script to me.

_Jojo_

Quote from: m4z on November 17, 2022, 03:16:26 PMThere was a bug in the RC stage, not sure if/how it was fixed. I'll try to find the details, but that will probably take a couple of days.
Did you find any more information on this?

m4z

Nothing definitive. I suspect this has to do with the changes in the RC phase that followed after this report (and others, IIRC): https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569526.0

When updating this forum (SMorg) to 2.1, I also had to set my settings again. I thought that issue only affected forums that had the RC installed, but apparently it affects more / all upgrades? There was even an issue for it, but it seems it was closed by mistake / misunderstanding after only the PM settings were fixed: https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/issues/6956
--Homer Simpson

shawnb61

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

_Jojo_

All I can say is that it happened on all three forums I converted. If it would help you, I can probably dig up a database backup from before the upgrade and share it privately.

savo

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 12, 2022, 01:27:05 PMHas anyone reproduced this? 

I had this issue when I migrated to v2.1.2.  I had to check off Follow topics I create and reply to under the Notification Preferences to get them back.

As for email notifications when a new member signs up, I can't recall the last time I received one.  My forum has very little traffic so it's not a big deal but I did get them before.

m4z

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 12, 2022, 01:27:05 PMHas anyone reproduced this? 

It occured on SMorg and – IIRC – the forum I'm running. Will ask my users to confirm and try to repro under similar conditions as my forum during the next ~4 weeks (install with 2.1 rc3 (or was it rc2?), then update to 2.1.0).

Might also try to do 2.0.19 → 2.1.x, but I can't remember how well that worked with postgres (but I think it did without problems).
--Homer Simpson

m4z

--Homer Simpson

shawnb61

Confirmed & logged & moved to Bug Reports:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/issues/7652

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

_Jojo_

Thanks for looking into it!

Maybe it's a bit too early to ask, but I wonder if it would be possible to provide a script as part of the fix to retroactively fix the conversion for forums that have already been converted to SMF 2.1 (provided that a backup of the old SMF 2.0 database is available)?

Advertisement: