[FREE] A Blog mod for SMF 2.1.3

Started by tech9, November 26, 2022, 08:40:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tech9

I wish that somebody would create a simple user blog mod for SMF 2.1.3 where members could create their own blog and posts blog posts to it, and other members could comment on them.

Ofcourse it would have to look like an actual blog post and not like a forum post. 😁

Kindred

Why?

If you want a blog software,  use a blog software. SMF is a forum software
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TwitchisMental

Quote from: Kindred on November 26, 2022, 09:50:09 PMWhy?

Just to add on to this a bit.

Why not use something like Wordpress as the home page and then link to your SMF forum from there? You could even make the themes match with a bit of messing around.

Another idea, you could use a portal like Tiny Portal to get a similar result. Not sure if you could so far as to letting different users make the "blog posts", but it does have articles which could be used as "blog posts".

Kindred

Although, on consideration,  if many users are posting, it's not a blog - its a forum.

A blog is generally one (or a very small group) posting and others only responding.
A forum is many users posting and many responding.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: tech9 on November 26, 2022, 08:40:39 PMI wish that somebody would create a simple user blog mod for SMF 2.1.3 where members could create their own blog and posts blog posts to it, and other members could comment on them.

Ofcourse it would have to look like an actual blog post and not like a forum post. 😁

Is this a paid request or a free one?

tech9

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on November 27, 2022, 05:47:39 AM
Quote from: tech9 on November 26, 2022, 08:40:39 PMI wish that somebody would create a simple user blog mod for SMF 2.1.3 where members could create their own blog and posts blog posts to it, and other members could comment on them.

Is this a paid request or a free one?

Free for now. I can't even login to my forum right now! 😒

Dzonny

Didn't some of the portals had blogging system built-in? I know we had some blog mods for earlier branches as well, can't find one for 2.1 though...

Steve

Quote from: tech9 on December 04, 2022, 08:05:39 PMI can't even login to my forum right now!
FYI to others, this has been resolved.
DO NOT pm me for support!

[chrisB]

There used to be a blog mod for SMF one back in the day, I think I recall it being paid mind. The dev pretty much did a lot of things which you might see with IPS, vBulletin etc.

Personally, I would like to see more different mods to keep members engaged with modern forums.

Quote from: Kindred on November 26, 2022, 09:50:09 PMWhy?

Comments like this turn people away from using products, especially something which is open and easily customised based on the users wishes. Communities these days aren't just vanilla products out right either, so just because one user doesn't like something - doesn't mean there's a need to deter them from using software.

It comes across as gatekeeping.

If intentionally or unintended.

No disrespect meant.
I'm stuck in a time warp from the early 00's.

Kindred

it's not gatekeeping. It's a statement.

SMF is a forum software. Blogs are, by their nature, not forums (hence the different name)

Yes, there was a "blog mod" --   it wasn't actually a blog. What it did was turn the PRESENTATION of a board into what people USED TO view as a "blog-like" presentation.
That's easily possible in SMF.  Heck, I could do the theme tweaks needed to do that in about an hour.

That does not make SMF a blog software, nor does it make the board with that theme a "blog".
A blog is (usually) the focused (or random) thoughts of a single person (or a small group, most of who post under the same account). A forum is a COMMUNITY of thoughts, frequently unfocused.

WordPress is a pretty decent BLOG software. Their add-on forum pretty much sucks...    because, hey, guess what, the audience for one is NOT normally the audience for the other.
WordPress can be used to build a website (around the focus of the blog) -- it does that pretty well.
SMF can be used to build a website (around the focus of the forum) -- it does that pretty well.
Слaва
Украинi

[chrisB]

It just seems very counterproductive to question many of those users out there that are trying to do something different with their sites.

I have noticed several times the effect of this, when someone simply mentions WordPress.

QuoteSMF is a forum software. Blogs are, by their nature, not forums (hence the different name)

Just because SMF is a forum package, it doesn't mean a dev couldn't create a blogging system that adds value to a users' forum. Whilst, I agree that WordPress is a great tool. It's not integrated or bridged completely. @vbgamer45 has done a great service to support 2.1.3 - we have video systems and galleries as extensions.

Plain vanilla forums unless established and have activity will always struggle with social media, unless people try to be more creative.

There's zero arm in that.
I'm stuck in a time warp from the early 00's.

Advertisement: