News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

2.1 attachments

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, January 16, 2023, 08:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

Shortly after 2.1 was officially released last year, there were several efforts in progress to modify the attachments feature.  I have one running on a test install (still using 2.0 in production), but memory being what it is (or isn't), not comfortable trying to replicate it on client forum.  Antechinus did a more extensive rewrite, and there were a couple others.  Question is, were any of the variants packaged as mods?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Frankly, I've lost interest. At the time the 2.1 attachments system was full of bugs, and I don't actually have a use for an SMF forum at the moment anyway. The only sites I'm using happen to be running phpBB, which is not my first preference but, hey ho, that's what they use.

Anyone is obviously welcome to rip and to modify any code I have posted here. You might even be able to get me to answers some questions, if there are any.

Diego Andrés

Could try the possibly new UI for attachments @Sir Osis of Liver
Maybe you'd have suggestions too.

https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF/pull/7676

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Sir Osis of Liver

That's interesting.  It was my understanding that there would be no significant changes in attachments in 2.1, no matter how awful it was.  Is that code packaged for download?

- R. Waters

@rjen

No, it's a PR waiting to be merged for 2.1.4
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Sesquipedalian

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on January 24, 2023, 04:11:15 PMIt was my understanding that there would be no significant changes in attachments in 2.1.

@shawnb61 decided otherwise.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Sir Osis of Liver

Good call.  Looking forward to seeing it in 2.1.4.

- R. Waters

Sesquipedalian

As a rule, changes to the default theme's files are avoided in patch releases because they carry a high risk of breaking any existing custom themes. But in this case I was able to figure out a way to maintain backward compatibility. If I hadn't been able to do that, this probably would have had to wait until 2.2.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: