News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Stuck Registration Notification

Started by niddnet, February 22, 2023, 04:28:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

niddnet

Folks

As you are the fount of all knowledge SMF related :D I was wondering if anyone can help with a minor niggle.  It's not an issue to me, because it isn't impacting anything - it's just annoying.

We have closed (approval) registrations on our forum.  Everything had gone well, with many users registering and me sending the approval emails manually.

The last user we approved, I got an error message.  But the user received their approval email, and can post.  However, in the Admin side, it is still showing the (1) saying there's a task - but when I click through, there is nothing.

My guess is it's just a flag in a table somewhere, but all the built-in diags haven't got rid of it (DB compact, log deletion etc.).

Can anyone help get rid of my (1) on my Admin menu?

Thank you!!

Arantor

Did you also clear the error log? In 2.1 the number of errors in the log is shown in the menu (the 1 will be next to the relevant menu item)

Steve

He did say 'log deletion' but I was going to ask the same as you to be sure.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Arantor

That's the thing, I don't trust people when they say they've done things any more - too often I've had the tech support "have you plugged it in and turned it on" type questions, been told yes (often multiple times) then I go see for myself and... nope.

Would be interesting to know what error the OP got, so that this doesn't happen again the next time since in the normal approval flow, it's one of the last things to be updated.

But there's actually no way to fix this normally; it's not updated to an exact number anywhere (not during any registration flow, not during any approval flow, nor even by find/repair errors), it's always 'you're updating this many accounts, I'm going to change the number by this many'.

The only actual fix is to go into the database itself, to smf_settings table and change the entry for unapprovedMembers from 1 to 0.

shawnb61

Note that you can reset the notification counter by clicking the Mark Read link on the Alerts popup.  In 2.1.3+, that shouldn't be necessary under normal ongoing operations.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

niddnet

Hi @Arantor

Just to confirm - yes - I've definitely done (more than once) those things.

I totally echo your comments re. distrust.  I still work in IT, though thankfully Support Desk and looking at week-long uptimes with users SWEARING that they DEFINITELY fully rebooted, is now far in my past! :)

I wish I'd captured the error.  Unfortunately, other errors I've had were captured and handled well by SMF, so I didn't really think of screenshotting this one.  I'll just go an update the table now I know which I need to do.

@shawnb61 I tried all the ways to reset the notification; but as there's nothing there for SMF to change, it just remains.  I've taken a couple screenshots now to illustrate, but I think Arantor is dead on with their response.

Thanks everyone!!

R.

Arantor

Someone else noted this in the last week, where the likely culprit was Stop Forum Spam flagging an account for manual activation (thus bumping the unapproved count) but not actually pushing the account into that state (so you have a phantom 1 kicking around)

Shades.

Quote from: Arantor on March 28, 2023, 05:35:48 AMSomeone else noted this in the last week, where the likely culprit was Stop Forum Spam flagging an account for manual activation (thus bumping the unapproved count) but not actually pushing the account into that state (so you have a phantom 1 kicking around)
Yes but in my situation I actually HAD a member waiting for approval. I was able to click on "Approve and require activation" which got rid of the number in Admin menu which fixed my problem but still wasn't able to prove it was SFS but seems to be the most likely culprit. ;)

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=585485.0

Thanks,
Shades 8)
ShadesWeb.com - Custom Logos - My Themes on SMF | My Themes on ShadesWeb
https://shadesweb.com

BikerHound.com - Sniffing out the road ahead
https://bikerhound.com

Dream as if you'll live forever; Live as if you'll die today. - James Dean

Advertisement: