News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Icons not showing

Started by paulgr, May 11, 2023, 05:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulgr

Hi all !

Could someone help a newbie ?  :)

I have a forum that is not displaying any icons (not in toolbar while typing a message, nor icons near "Like" etc). Put it simply no icons at all.

Forum is using the Default Theme and the files are in the correct path (Theme and apricons paths exist in Cpanel), but when in the forum's webpage and attempting to right click to the point where the icon should be displayed and select "open image in new window" i get a new window with the below response :
"Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

Any idea about the cause ?

Thanks !!!

Sir Osis of Liver

Check file permissions.  Dirs/files should be 755/644.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

paulgr

File permissions are set to Dirs/Files 755/666.

Thank you, Paul

Steve

Did that solve your problem?
DO NOT pm me for support!

paulgr

I'm afraid problem persists.

Sir Osis of Liver

403 is a server error, do you have any errors in error_log (or something similar) in forum root?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

I would bet that you have a problem with your javascript
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

JayH1119

Quote from: paulgr on May 11, 2023, 07:34:59 PMFile permissions are set to Dirs/Files 755/666.

Thank you, Paul

666 allows read/write to everyone - probably not a good idea.

If your files/folder are owned by a user different from the user running your apache2(?) server, you may want to try 775/664.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Some server setups literally require them to be 755/644 or lower. So I would try this first.
Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on May 11, 2023, 06:15:41 PMCheck file permissions.  Dirs/files should be 755/644.
If lowering the permissions doesn't help, look at your server error log - what is logged along with that 403?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

MrPython

Quote from: paulgr on May 12, 2023, 06:00:19 AMI'm afraid problem persists.
If you are interested, I can help you with the settings of your server.

paulgr

Thank you all for the suggestions. We managed to resolve this. Issue was a hotlink protection feature introduced by our host.

Files were there but could not be reached.

Advertisement: