2.1.4 Issue with TR, TD, Table in Signature

Started by Alex98, March 05, 2024, 12:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex98

Thanks Boys  :)

I still have a problem with the signatures, i.e. it doesn't load "TR, TD, TABLE" and all the bbc codes are tagged, does anyone know?

Deaks

have you allowed them in Signature Settings?

Configuration - Features and Options - Signature Settings

We would also need to see what you are actually using aswell to see if its a code error in the signature.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Alex98

everything is allowed to be used in the signature settings, but only the tr td table is not loaded

You have pictures of the problem in this post

Quote from: F R A N K on March 05, 2024, 12:48:19 PMThanks Boys  :)

I still have a problem with the signatures, i.e. it doesn't load "TR, TD, TABLE" and all the bbc codes are tagged, does anyone know?

Steve

Quote from: F R A N K on March 18, 2024, 03:42:28 PMYou have pictures of the problem in this post
First post if it makes it easier for anyone.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Deaks

the images show what the signature shows as NOT what you have entered into the signature.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Alex98

Quote from: Deaks on March 20, 2024, 08:16:04 AMthe images show what the signature shows as NOT what you have entered into the signature.
I didn't understand what you wanted to say

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just making sure here, the image shows incomplete tags - There's no [table] in the image. Is it actually there?

Table structure is

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Alex98

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 28, 2024, 02:28:04 PMJust making sure here, the image shows incomplete tags - There's no [table] in the image. Is it actually there?

Table structure is

[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

You think I didn't put it in my signature,
here are the pictures

https://i.imgur.com/R7LPkNO.png

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Like I said, just making sure. To continue with that, if you remove the [hr] tags, what happens? Is it still broken?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Alex98

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 28, 2024, 03:52:23 PMLike I said, just making sure. To continue with that, if you remove the [hr] tags, what happens? Is it still broken?
Yes, it's broken  :(

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Okay, this is getting interesting.

Can you check if all those BBC tags are enabled for both signatures and posts.
You will find the post settings at Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> Bulletin Board Code, and Signature settings at Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> Signatures

I will note that I just edited my own signature here to have a 3 row table, and it seems to work just fine.

Slava
Ukraini!

[table][tr][td][b][color=#0066cc]Slava[/color]
[color=#ffcc00]Ukraini![/color][/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][sub]"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas[/sub][/td][/tr][/table]
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Alex98

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 28, 2024, 04:51:09 PMOkay, this is getting interesting.

Can you check if all those BBC tags are enabled for both signatures and posts.
You will find the post settings at Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> Bulletin Board Code, and Signature settings at Admin -> Configuration -> Features and Options -> Signatures

I will note that I just edited my own signature here to have a 3 row table, and it seems to work just fine.

Slava
Ukraini!

[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][sub]"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas[/sub][/td][/tr][/table]
Everything is turned on, but it still does not load Table tr td

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

What mods do you have installed? Would any of them handle BBC?
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

live627

can you provide a link to a page with that signature?

Alex98

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 28, 2024, 06:36:24 PMWhat mods do you have installed? Would any of them handle BBC?
BBC Message Boxes
BCC Messages

Quote from: live627 on March 28, 2024, 07:35:24 PMcan you provide a link to a page with that signature?
https://los-balkan.com/index.php

demo2024
demo

live627

can you link the specific profile with the bad signature?

Alex98

Quote from: live627 on March 30, 2024, 12:04:12 AMcan you link the specific profile with the bad signature?
Everyone has this problem, I added a signature to the demo account, so take a look

GL700Wing

Quote from: Alex98 on March 30, 2024, 04:42:59 AMEveryone has this problem, I added a signature to the demo account, so take a look
I believe the problem is that, and unlike in SMF 2.0, SMF 2.1 does not include the 'tr' or 'td' tags in the list of BBCodes that can be enabled for either messages or signatures.

SMF 2.0 BBCode options
You cannot view this attachment.

SMF 2.0 Signature

SMF 2.1 BBCode options

SMF 2.1 Signature:

That said, I can create a 'table' signature on this forum that correctly parses the 'tr' or 'td' tags so it must be using different code to the default SMF 2.1.4 ...
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!

live627

I think I discovered the problem: both tr and td tags are disabled.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Kindred

hmmm..... maybe the assumption was, if table is enabled, tr and td would also HAVE to be enabled ---   which informed the activationdisplay, but someone forgot the logic in the backend?

but, why would it work HERE if that was the case?
How can it work on one site and not on another?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

I think this issue is specific to using hr tags within the table.

Without the hr tags, it works fine on my test sites.  But it does break when hr tags are used.  (The exact sig example provided earlier in reply #8.)

I think I do recall table/tr/td were grouped a long time ago due to confusing & erroneous bug reports where folks didn't know they had to select all.  Couldn't find it on gh though.
A question worth asking is born in experience & driven by necessity. - Fripp

Kindred

ok...  so, it is what I assumed (you can't have tr/td without table, so selecting table includes everything)

I don't think an hr within a table is fully kosher when it comes to html anyway... is it?

(searches ---   nope...  alot of people complain within basic html that it doesn't work right and they should use a td or tr border rather than an hr)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

I don't believe SMF tables support borders.  It'd be nice if they did.

live627

Quote from: Kindred on March 30, 2024, 11:00:21 AMI don't think an hr within a table is fully kosher when it comes to html anyway... is it?
it is within <td> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/td#technical_summary

The OP is building the table right. Keep on fishing for red herring.

shawnb61

Is this a bug?  If so, what would be an acceptable fix?

My thinking is to leave it as-is.  The whole point of an hr tag, to split the page, is kinda incompatible with a table.

We could strip such tags from inside a table.  To me, that solution feels overengineered.

Report an error?  We normally don't preparse & provide bbc warnings.  We DO provide a preview function instead, though.  Which in this case very clearly shows the problem.

My take : Don't do that....

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: live627 on March 30, 2024, 11:20:35 AM
Quote from: Kindred on March 30, 2024, 11:00:21 AMI don't think an hr within a table is fully kosher when it comes to html anyway... is it?
it is within <td> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/td#technical_summary

The OP is building the table right. Keep on fishing for red herring.
The OP did also say they tried without the HR tags, unless they made a mistake somewhere and didn't notice.

Quote from: Alex98 on March 28, 2024, 04:30:35 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on March 28, 2024, 03:52:23 PMLike I said, just making sure. To continue with that, if you remove the [hr] tags, what happens? Is it still broken?
Yes, it's broken  :(

GL700Wing also tested with my current signature, and couldn't get it to work right, and no hr tags there.
https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?msg=4172467
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

Likely a mistake.

Easily confirmed - try it yourself.

Pix of your example attached, with & without a hr tag.

You & live627 are both correct that hr is valid within an html table and will only do the width of the cell.  So, yes, another solution is to better mimic the raw html behavior.

shawnb61

Note this is not limited to the signature - same problem exists in the message body.

I did find that it works ok under some circumstances (empty cell?).  Hard to tell I'm out of town trying this all on my phone.... 😅

[color=#ffcc00][hr]Ukraini![/color][/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][sub]"Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas[/sub][/td][/tr][/table]

Alex98

So how can I allow them? Forum options are already allowed.

Kindred

Quote from: Alex98 on March 30, 2024, 06:11:21 PMSo how can I allow them? Forum options are already allowed.

you don't need to allow anything.  The tr and td are automatically included or excluded based on the table BBC.

Слaва
Украинi

Kindred

ok...   this is really weird...  I *SWEAR* that it worked right before.   I had tables in my signature for several forums.

[table][tr][td][b][color=#0066cc]Slava[/color][/b][/td]
[td][b]Peace for[/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][b][color=#ffcc00]Ukraini![/color][/b][hr][/td]
[td][b]Gaza[/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][sub]This is my signature![/sub][/td]
[td][sup]view it and despair[/sup][/td][/tr][/table]

https://test2.turtleshellprod.com/index.php?msg=64

it works in the post body, but not in the signature... even with the hr

Слaва
Украинi

Alex98

I hope you now understand what I'm talking about.
Because it worked for me until recently, it suddenly stopped working and stopped loading the tr td board, which is even worse, I didn't touch anything on the forum during that period.
This also happens with quick edit, suddenly it doesn't want to save a post that can be edited via quick.

Kindred

I can't replicate the quick edit thing.   The post i linked above has been edited 15 times with quick edit
Слaва
Украинi

needhelpsff

I have the same problem.

You can see my setting
Quote from: needhelpsff on August 03, 2024, 04:40:34 AM3. On the signature the table tag does not work. So does the the Glow tag.
Code Select Expand
[table]
[tr]
[td][size=18pt][color=red][b]ভাই পানি লাগবে, পানি?[/b][/color][/size][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][size=18pt][color=green][b]বাবা তোমার বুকে অনেক ভাল্লাগে।[/b][/color][/size][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

My setting

Kindred

Yes, that's what known (and confirmed) issue means...  everyone has this problem
Слaва
Украинi

shawnb61

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

It might not be strictly related to the hr tag though, this topic has examples where table fails without the hr tag.
The latest post by needhelpsff being one, and the test by GL700Wing earlier being another.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

shawnb61

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 03, 2024, 03:50:11 PMIt might not be strictly related to the hr tag though, this topic has examples where table fails without the hr tag.
The latest post by needhelpsff being one, and the test by GL700Wing earlier being another.

I only log what I can reproduce.  If you can reproduce it, please share how.

I believe in both examples you cited, the bbc was entered or copied & pasted incorrectly, specifically, missing the opening table tag.

shawnb61

Since I suspect we've been sharing examples & copying & pasting & possibly introducing errors, I'll share the full texts of what I've seen working & not working here.

These work everywhere, in signatures & posts:

[tr][td][/td][/tr]

[table]
[tr]
[td][size=18pt][color=red][b]ভাই পানি লাগবে, পানি?[/b][/color][/size][/td]
[/tr]
[tr]
[td][size=18pt][color=green][b]বাবা তোমার বুকে অনেক ভাল্লাগে।[/b][/color][/size][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

This one does not work, in signatures or posts:
[color=#ffcc00][hr]Ukraini![/color][/b][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
[tr][td][sub]"Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas[/sub][/td][/tr][/table]

You can make that last one work by removing the hr tag. 

If you are working on reproducing, please copy & past the ENTIRE field & retest.  Please share results. 

I've been testing across multiple php versions, unix & windows.  All in 2.1 & 3.0.  The net result of what I've seen is in the GitHub issue referenced above.

GL700Wing

Quote from: shawnb61 on August 03, 2024, 04:09:13 PM
Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 03, 2024, 03:50:11 PM... the test by GL700Wing earlier being another.
... the bbc was entered or copied & pasted incorrectly, specifically, missing the opening table tag.
Apologies for that - I didn't realise I'd made such a simple mistake.
Life doesn't have to be perfect to be wonderful ...

Slava
Ukraini!

shawnb61

Quote from: GL700Wing on August 03, 2024, 05:09:26 PMApologies for that - I didn't realise I'd made such a simple mistake.

That was my theory...

If you could retest & confirm, that'd be excellent!

Advertisement: