News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cannot remove global moderator access from administration boards

Started by barry1947, March 29, 2024, 11:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry1947

Hi Everyone,
I am starting to work on a migration from 2.0.19 to 2.1.4
The large upgrade seemed to go well.
I have a problem which I appreciate will probably be my lack of understanding between the two systems.
The problems is that I cannot remove Global Moderator access from a Board with sub boards that is designated for the Administrators Only.
Previously in 2.0.19 I went into "Modify Boards" and used "Allowed Groups" to specify who has access to a board.
In "Modify Boards" the Admin Board in 2.1.4 The Global Moderators are also shown in the new Modify Boards but greyed out and I cannot remove them. I set a test user as a Global Moderator and sure enough he can see the board and gain access.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Many thanks,
Barry.

Kindred

As GLOBAL moderators, I don't think that you can remove access...
.I don't think you could in 2.0.x either... although you could hide the DISPLAY of that board, the global mod could go directly there,  if they knew the board id
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

barry1947

Hi Kindred,
Many thanks for coming back to me so quickly.
In my 2.0.19 Global Moderators do not see the board.
I can appreciate that if they know of the boards existance they could probably gain access, but if they never see the board they will not know that.
I guess that I will need to sharpen my coding skills up again then lol.
Many thanks for your help once again at least I am aware.
Best regards,
Barry.

Kindred

Actually,  I reverse my statement...

I just tested and can confirm that you CAN set global moderator group to disallow or even deny in the board settings. You cannot view this attachment.

If it is not working on your site,  then you must have a mod which is breaking it.

What mods?
Url to your site?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You can't stop admins though, and it is possible to make any membergroup basically an admin group. Unless I'm mistaken.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Kindred

Oh yeah...  if you have given the global mods admin privileges,  then you can not restrict them at all.
Слaва
Украинi

barry1947

Hi Kindred,
Many thanks for coming back once again and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.
OK The screen that you have displayed here is nothing like the one that I am seeing. The one that I am seeing is more akin to the old 2.0.19 version, so I have no wish to waste your time further whilst I may be at fault. I think that what I need to do is start completely afresh with a new install of 2.0.19 and then import the existing forum data onto that and then do a 2.1.4 upgrade on that and to go from there and perhaps I will then see the screen which you have displayed on here for me. That has been really useful.
Many thanks for your time once again. It really is very much appreciated.
Best regards,
Barry.

barry1947

Hi Douglas,
Thank you for your input as well, it is also very much appreciated.
I trust the Administrator implicitly as it is me. lol.
My thanks once again and best regards,
Barry.

Sesquipedalian

There is another way that this can happen. Any group that had the Manage Boards permission can always access all boards.

In SMF 2.0 it was possible to end up in an inconsistent state when a group had the Manage Boards permission but was not allowed to access certain boards. To avoid getting into that inconsistent state, SMF 2.1 always allows groups with the Manage Boards permission to access all boards. To help represent this to the admin, SMF 2.1 sets the checkbox for the group's board access to checked and disabled, as @barry1947 described in his first post above.

@barry1947, if you want to deny your Global Moderators access to some boards, you will need to take the Manage Boards permission away from them.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

barry1947

Good Morning Sesquipedalian,
Many thanks for your reply. That also makes some sense.
This morning I extracted the data from 2.0.19 and went through putting it into a brand new 2.0.19 Forum and imported the data etc. and I am now back on 2.1.4 with data from yesterday.
I will take a look at your suggestion.
On the bright side I will have a brand new forum with no mods or source debris lying around.
Many thanks once again for your timely reply. Very much appreciated once again.
Best regards,
Barry.

barry1947

Many Thanks Sesquipedalian,
That was it. All foxed now and I can move on.
Have a wonderful day and many thanks to everyone that contributed to the fix for this.
Best regards,
Barry.

Advertisement: