News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Restricting Access to Member Search

Started by sbartelski, April 08, 2024, 04:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbartelski

I have set-up a special group that is effectively Read-only. in the future, I am going to move certain general members with a particular characteristic into that group. I have set up a test member and assigned them to that group (in the primary). This member cannot post, which is what I want but can still see and use the Member button to search our membership list. I have turned off this capability in the Permissions for this group, do I need to do something else?

I noticed that through this search function I can also get to a member's profile and see their signature, that should also not be possible

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski
Webmaster for the Cadillac LaSalle Discussion forums

Kindred

Well, if the user can see the profile,  they would be able to see the signature.

However -- do you have post-count-based groups? Do they have permissions?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sbartelski

I do have count-based groups but I am going to get rid of them, for a different reason. Basically, certain members will be changed to the group with no permissions except viewing polls and attachments because they are not paid up members of another site. And that is why I would like to block the member search. I removed that permission in the group permissions, but it still appears.
Stefan Bartelski

Kindred

Well, smfvis an inclusive permissions model. If any group that the user belongs to has a permission, then that user can do the action.

All members are part of two groups,  always.
1- the primary assigned group. (Or) If a user does not have an assigned group, then they are members of the "general members" group.

And

2- a post-count-based group.

Sometimes also

3- secondary assigned group(s)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

sbartelski

Member button does not show for Guests, but does show for special group set up inheriting Guest permissions. Count based groups have been removed
Stefan Bartelski

Advertisement: