Can't install this component into Joomla

Started by farmeunit, January 03, 2006, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmeunit

I'm pasting my problem from the other thread into this one as one post.  I believe it's actually a problem with Joomla now, I've seen other people get it and hope one of you can solve it.  Thanks in advance.

I get this error when trying to install in Joomla:

Upload module - Upload Failed
ERROR: Could not find an XML setup file in the package.

Upload module - Failed
Installation file not found:
/home/hyster41/public_html/content/media/install_42ae452bc0a5d/

Safe Mode is on.  I've read about patch, but couldn't find a link for 1.05.  Is there another way?

When I try to install from a directory, it give an error about writing the com_sf/language dir, but everything that needs to be writeable is.  Any help would be appreicated.  TY.

There is a patch that is supposed to allow the installation of components when the host has SAFE MODE turned on in PHP.  That's my problem apparently, because SAFE MODE is on for me.  I read something about placing the files where they need to go and then using the "Install from directory" option, but not sure which files need to go where or if the database entries will be put in using the option, and I know nothing about DBs, so I'm trying to screw up as little stuff as possible.  Anyway, thanks for you help.  Hope I'm not bothering too much.  I can usually get stuff figured out, but this one's got me.  I just don't know where to go from here.

Thanks.  I'll give it a shot tonight.  I tried what I could think of.  Same errors.  If I install anything into the /root/component is says that some component is using /root/component/com_smf or something like that.  Or if I place the folder somewhere else and try installing from that folder, it says that it has trouble writing the /com_sf/languages folder.  I have no idea where to go from here.  I can post the EXACT error message if you need them, but those are close.

Orstio

It's a component, not a module.

Use Install Component, not Install Module.

farmeunit

Thanks.  I changed thread title.  At the time I had tried the component and then the module.  Same error with both.  I did get the module done by following advice from another thread and place the files (only 2 of them) into /root/media/install/module name.  I can not however get the component however.  I tried upload the files to various places and doing the directory install, but I get the errors mentioned above.  And I am using the component part also, BTW.

Kindred

did you extract the com_smf.zip file from the original archive file that comtains com_smf.zip and readme.html?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

farmeunit

Yes I did that.  I also extracted the com_smf.zip itself to a folder and trying several things with that.

Orstio

QuoteAt the time I had tried the component and then the module.

What version of the bridge are you trying to install?

Orstio

Then I don't understand this:

QuoteAt the time I had tried the component and then the module.  Same error with both.  I did get the module done by following advice from another thread and place the files (only 2 of them) into /root/media/install/module name.  I can not however get the component however.

com_smf.zip is a component only.  When you go to your Joomla admin panel, Component install, you should have a file path box, where the path to the file to install should be something like this:

C:\directory\com_smf.zip

After specifying where the com_smf.zip is, you click "Upload and Install", and it will upload and install everything in the zip, as instructed in the smf.xml file.

You haven't been trying to install each file independently (e.g. smf.php, smf_reigstration.php, etc), have you?

farmeunit

I wasn't trying to install separately until I get an error when installing the zip that says Upload module - Upload Failed

Upload module - Failed
/home/hyster41/public_html/content/media/install_42ae452bc0a5d/

Then I tried finding other ways around that.  But I can't.

Orstio

QuoteUpload module - Upload Failed

That was your original problem.

Try installing the com_smf.zip file AS A COMPONENT, NOT AS A MODULE!

farmeunit

I did try installing as a component FIRST.  I just tried the module to see if I had the same problem.  But I finally got it installed.  I just can't get the component installed still.

Kindred

you can't install the module without the component...

As of v3.20 the component handles installation of com_smf, com_smf_registration, mod_smf_login and the forum menu item...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

farmeunit

The module I installed was different.  It was for "My Diggs".  I just installed it as a test to see if a module could be installed since I couldn't install the component for 3.20.  I did get the module installed though.  The process I followed to install the module, I found in another thread, where you put the module folder into /root/media/install/com_module.  That worked for me also.  I tried that then with the component under the component section in Joomla, but didn't work.  Sorry I'm not making this clear up front.  Next time I'll make it more step-by-step as I have been jumping around.  Just been frustrated I guess.  I'm not getting any help over at Joomla.org [nofollow] and I think it's mainly a fault with Joomla.  Just hoping you guys could help out.  I do appreciate it, really.  I can redo my post into what I did exactly step by step if it would help.  I just didn't make myself clear.  Sorry.

chadness

It might be a permissions issue.  You could go to the Joomla global configuration, and click the server tab, and chmod all of the files and directories to 777, and then try to load a component again.

Orstio

farmeunit

I tried the CHMOD all files also.  I didn't know about that until yesterday, but it didn't work either.  I know that if doesn't have a module, I just wanted to see if I had similar problems doing modules also, or if it was just components.  I just wanted to try all the options I knew of before asking for help.  This is the error I get.  It creates the com_smf folder, but then I get this error and NO files are in it.
Upload new component - Error 
Failed to create directory "/home/hsphere/local/home/astronut/bransonlan.com/components/com_smf/language" 

BTW, that is trying to install from directory.  I still get that one error about the xml file no matter what I do when installing from the zip.

Orstio

Please copy and paste the exact error you receive when trying to install com_smf.zip as a component.  Don't unzip it, don't install it as a module.  I want the exact error you receive when you are doing it exactly as it is intended to be done.

farmeunit

Upload component - Upload Failed 
[ Continue ... ] 
Upload component - Failed 
/home/hsphere/local/home/astronut/bransonlan.com/media/install_43bdc58016639/ 
[ Continue ... ] 

Orstio

Orstio

OK, thank you.

What is the CHMOD on the media folder?

Advertisement: