Joomla SMF Gallery

Started by Firefrog, January 05, 2006, 06:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefrog

Slightly Off topic.
I am about to upgrade my site to Joomla 1.0.5 and SMF1.1 RC2 and I am seeking recommendations on a good gallery.
I had been using coppermine but not sure I want to continue.

I will be using orstios 3.20 bridge and want a gallery properly intergrated hence why I ask the question here. :)

Key features is user upload and simple navigation.

Any opinions welcome.

laser

Interesting post, what do you NOT like about Coppermine ?

Kindred

These days, I use the Gallery2 coponent from 4theweb for Joomla...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

brother7

I use

• Joomla 1.0.5
  • SMF 1.1 RC2
  • Coppermine 1.4.3

I use Coppermine's Bridge Manager to bridge to SMF.  I use Orstio's Bridge 3.20 to bridge Joomla to SMF.  I use SMF as my primary user registration db.  And I use Joomla's Wrapper to link to SMF and Coppermine.  So far, everything works as expected.  I'm especially pleased with the single user login, which I was struggling with, before SMF 1.1 RC2 and the updated Orstio bridge.

Aravot

It depends to your wants and needs I have tested and using Gallery2, Coppermine, Zoom Gallery and recently Expose (this one doesn't have user input), on my main website I use both Gallery2 and Coppermine however I like Gallery2 more it just that there is no script to transfer albums/photos from Coppermine to Gallery2 so I am stuck with two, anyway you can view and test all 4 HERE

Varment

I like Gallery2,  especially the upload features, makes things really handy for unloading lots of images. Gallery2 also seems to be advancing a lot faster then Coppermine.  ;)

Aravot

Dev team over at Gallery2 are more friendly (in my opinion), during beta period they answered all my questions where as over at Coppermine their reply 'It's a beta, no support provided'.

Firefrog

Quote from: laser on January 05, 2006, 07:08:02 AM
Interesting post, what do you NOT like about Coppermine ?

My main reason for changing from Coppermine is the angst over at the coppermine forum not a happy place.

Gallery2 sounds like it's popular is it easily integrated??

Is Zoom Gallery worth considering seeing as it's a joomla component??

Cheers

laser

Yeah, I was thinking more features but the Coppermine forum is not a nice place for a newb.  I tried to help a few times and left with blood dripping.  Even when I explained my newbiness I was hung, drawn and quartered.

Great software, but the support simply sucks.

Gallery2 ... looks a little plain for my liking, but I haven't played with it long. 

I last went looking about 6-8 months ago.  I had a huge list of features and Coppermine matched them best, it might be time to do another review ;)

chadness

Gallery2 is pretty feature rich.

I used Zoom a long time ago, but it was pretty buggy then, to the point it wasn't useable.  If the bugs are worked out (which I would assume most of them are), it's probably good if you want a simple component.

Claudek

Quote from: Kindred on January 05, 2006, 07:41:26 AM
These days, I use the Gallery2 coponent from 4theweb for Joomla...

I thought that there was an issue that this component did not automatically synch the user db details (or something similar). The process had to be done manually which is why Oldiesman was working on the Gallery2 integration - http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=46281.0

Kindred

there is now a chron job as part of the gallery2 component...
however, I do still sync manually...  and Oldiesman IS working on an SMF bridge for Gallery2...

When he's done, a combination of the Joomla component (to keep it wrapped correctly, etc) and the SMF bridge (to link to username, etc) will be a really good thing.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: