Porting Joomla members over to SMF

Started by Hendralux, January 13, 2006, 12:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hendralux

Hi,

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but I simply can't find it - I'm not exactly sure which keywords I should use.

I want to simply port all my Joomla members over to my fresh, new installation of SMF forums without them having to re-register. I don't necessariliy require integration or a 'bridge'.

Is there a simple script which will do this? I'd do it manually, but the password, um..algorithms are different for both Joomla/SMF (yes I have no clue what I'm talking about) and simply copying everyone's passwords over wouldn't work.

Hope someone can help, and sorry again if this is heavily covered already.

Hend

chadness

Markku

Yes it does, I used it with success couple of days ago when importing Joomla! 1.0.5 users to SMF 1.1 RC 2
Official Finnish Joomla! partner site
http://www.joomlaportal.fi

Hendralux

Hi,

I really appreciate the replies and this seems like exactly what I need. However, I can't seem to get it to work. I've done as the readme.txt asks, but it takes me to an 'internal server error' page. The script doesn't seem to have any section where you give the database location (localhost) or password, how does it connect to the database?

Any obvious tips I may be missing would be welcome.

Hend

Kindred

you have to edit the script itself and input the correct connection information directly into the script...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hendralux

Hi Kindred,

I edited it as the readme asked:

<?php

// edit this line to reflect the path to SMF's SSI.php
require ("/forums/SSI.php");

// edit these variables for your table prefixes and database names.  They are set at the defaults, so you probably won't need to.
$mos_database "fwench_joom1";
$mos_prefix "jos_";
$smf_database "fwench_smf";
$smf_prefix "smf_";

Can you see any obvious errors? I also tried "public_html/forums/SSI.php" for the path, and made sure CHMODded the script.

Hend

Hendralux

Also, just for my own benefit of knowledge, why can't I simply manually add Joomla member's passwords into the SMF database? I tried doing that with one member and it didn't work. The script mentioned here seems to simply copy database information over - I'm puzzled as to why doing it manually doesn't also work. Any ideas?

Kindred

did you try /home/public_html/forums/SSI.php?
or maybe just ./forums/SSI.php

As for why you can't just copy the data...   Joomla and SMF use different password encryptions!
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Hendralux

Thank you so much, Kindred, that worked fine. It was a simple 'paths' problem.

Regarding the password thing, just to build on my knowledge, how does that script (if you know) change the algorithm of the passwords in Joomla to the one in SMF? It simply seems to copy data over between the 2 databases, in the same fashion as if I'd done manually. Does the PHP engine automatically interpret the joomla algorithm and reconfigure it to the SMF algorithm or something? It's not a problem now the script works...I'm simply curious how the code works. I understand the code a little bit...but I can't see how it deals with the passwords.

Thanks again!

Hend

Advertisement: