News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

comment on new theme version

Started by klumy, February 04, 2006, 03:48:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Elmacik

The widths are changing.. How can we correct it?
Home of Elmacik

Aquilo

Quote from: Elmacik on February 11, 2006, 05:48:05 PM
The widths are changing.. How can we correct it?
what browser are you using? ...ok I see it in IE6. FF displays it right.

Elmacik

Home of Elmacik

Tim

I can't force browsers to interpret the widths correctly. Has anyone run into a fix?

Elmacik

LOL I am not talking about it. I am talking about compatibility.
Home of Elmacik

deathshadow

While I like the colors, graphics and font choices/sizes, the fixed width content (seemingly designed for 1024 across or higher) seems a bit... amaturish and typical of the 'CSS layout and XHTML validation at all costs' philosophy.

Designing fixed width (and the corresponding monster borders on higher resolutions or left/right scrollbars at lower res) Kinda defeats the whole purpose of HTML in my mind... Which is pretty much why I tell the people who call table layout a 'hack' to go {censored} themselves.

Pain in the ass at 800x600 since you end up having to scroll sideways; and at 1280 I've got two inch margins left and right... that sucks.
"There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies." – C.A.R. Hoare, The 1980 ACM Turing Award Lecture
http://www.cutcodedown.com

kadhumia_flo

Quote from: deathshadow on February 12, 2006, 05:10:46 PM
and at 1280 I've got two inch margins left and right... that sucks.

No that doesnt... its still nice

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

klumy

another suggestion:

each subcategory of the SMF Info Center should be collapsable!!

fugiFox

If you allow me some comments about the design of the new theme,
I think that in one word I could described as non-natural (OK it's 2 words :P )
I don't know if it's only my impression, but it brings me to mind virtual worlds,
so another word would be perhaps unreal, or distant.
Furthermore I could characterized also melancholic?

IMO SMFone is more friendlywarmer than this one.
I'm reffering to SMFone cos it's also a blue-based theme.
I don't know if I make myself clear, it's difficult to express an image with words (remeber that one picture is 1,000 words ;) )

Burpee

Interesting comments Fugi.

The feeling of this design being non-natural/unreal/distant, is it caused by the banner up top?
To me it feels a bit unnatural as well. The rays are a symbol for the sun and the Simple Machines logo looks like something of a windmill. If you look at it like that, it suddenly becomes a very surreal image of a landscape.

SMFone is indeed a bit friendlier. SMFone has a lot more rounded curves, and subtle color variations, which makes the design a bit less present and allows more room to focus on the content. The new theme has more square shapes and only very few rounded corners, which makes it appear less 'elegant' than the SMFone theme.
On the opposite of that, a more square appearance can also give an aura of power to a site. So, in that aspect, the current forms are fairly correct.

I think that overall, the new theme has the right forms and shapes to represent the Simple Machines Community.

J. Williams

The latest version 1.0.6 link is leading to 1.0.5 topic
Joshua Jon Williams
Back in Action.

fugiFox

Quote from: Burpee on February 23, 2006, 03:01:25 PM
Interesting comments Fugi.

The feeling of this design being non-natural/unreal/distant, is it caused by the banner up top?
To me it feels a bit unnatural as well. The rays are a symbol for the sun and the Simple Machines logo looks like something of a windmill. If you look at it like that, it suddenly becomes a very surreal image of a landscape.

SMFone is indeed a bit friendlier. SMFone has a lot more rounded curves, and subtle color variations, which makes the design a bit less present and allows more room to focus on the content. The new theme has more square shapes and only very few rounded corners, which makes it appear less 'elegant' than the SMFone theme.
On the opposite of that, a more square appearance can also give an aura of power to a site. So, in that aspect, the current forms are fairly correct.

I think that overall, the new theme has the right forms and shapes to represent the Simple Machines Community.

I decided to write these comments after asking many users of my forum, which has SMFone blue as default theme, to compare it with the new SMF theme and decide if they want to switch to this new theme (BTW does the new SMF theme have a name? )
Almost all of my users expressed a negative oppinion about switching. So, this strenghed my oppionion and decided to express it here.
IMO i think that the colors should have been more saturated. This would give a more the impression of more warm colors. Why don't you try it? I could try it also, but I really don't have so much time now  :(

JayBachatero

Follow me on Twitter

"HELP!!! I've fallen and I can't get up"
This moment has been brought to you by LifeAlert

Advertisement: