News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Some possible improvements

Started by Trekkie101, February 14, 2006, 05:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkie101

Ive been a member here for a little while and I like to help out when and where I can, but there seems to be a few things that stop this.

Bug List/Tracker?
I can't find a list of all bugs, im sure you must have an internal list, is there no way to make this public, just certain posts it would be easy to say "this is a known bug, expect it fixed in next release" instead of needing to wait on a team member getting to it, theres been a huge increase in support topics from what ive seen. A bug tracker would be nice so we can maybe generate reports and such to see certain data, like whats been confirmed by the development team as a bug and whats an unconfirmed bug that we could perhaps confirm and expand upon the details to help the development team fix it a lot faster. Its really a case of help us to help you. A public list would be a good start.

CVS Release Information/RC3?
Would it be possible to get to know the lastest test release, perhaps a demo forum of the latest CVS release like phpBB's Area51. Obviously I know Simple Machines doesn't just give CVS access away but some statistics would be nice, I say this because RC2 has had some major bugs, it also brought a lot of new features and the release although stable has bugs, and has fixes that aren't in by default such as the Firefox one. I may be alone in this, but personally I dont think 1.1 is ready to go final yet, RC3 seems a better idea to provide further testing before annoucing 1.1 as the stable and most recent branch to use, but you may have already thought this but theres no way to know what the development team are working on now. 1.1RC3? Final? 1.2?

Thanks

uberjon

Acf

cvs: http://www.simplemachines.org/charter/index.php
QuoteAdvanced Betas

As a way to thank you for their support, you will have access to any new versions of SMF before everyone else. While we have a small team of beta testers to make sure a beta release is ready for you to play with, you'll still be within the first hundred people World-wide to have access to our new code. This also means we take your feedback seriously; we want to deliver the best software that we can!
Sigh...

uberjon

what about things that are still on the drawing board before it gets to the charter phase? ;)

Acf

Quote from: uberjon on February 15, 2006, 06:21:26 AM
what about things that are still on the drawing board before it gets to the charter phase? ;)

QuoteWhile we have a small team of beta testers to make sure a beta release is ready for you to play with

;) team members included :P
Sigh...

Trekkie101

I meant more of a version number and changelog thats updated perhaps daily, so we can tell whats been fixed, whats being worked on and such...but I suppose I could go charter and get atleast some of this info.

Any comment on the bug tracker idea?

Acf

Sigh...

H

Quote from: ªcF on February 15, 2006, 06:23:12 AM
Quote from: uberjon on February 15, 2006, 06:21:26 AM

QuoteWhile we have a small team of beta testers to make sure a beta release is ready for you to play with

;) team members included :P

Now to become a team member :P

I like the idea of a bug-fix thing. Rather than having the internet bug-list visible could we not have a public bugtracker that we can post to?
-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

Thantos

Well I think Trekkie wants more the the betas given to charters.  More of a daily changelog.

Not that I think its a bad idea but there are a couple issues with that:
Some people will see a few days of no changes and think we aren't doing anything.  This isn't true, it just means no changes have been committed.

There is a bug tracker and there have been some internal talks about updating it.

About an RC3 I'm not so sure.  RC2 saw some feature changes from RC1 but Final won't see any feature changes from RC2, just fixes.

Sheepy

No you're not alone Trekkie.

A public bugtracker does not have to be that visible.  Like the in-development 1.1 Online Manual.  It was also easy to see when and who committed what files.  Both I think were supposed to be for private use only, and indeed relatively few of the public knew where to look.

If security risk is a concern, keep in mind that serious bugs can remains hidden to the public in any decent bugtracking system.  Trekkie does have a point about increasing support topics and, to a degree, feature requests.  To me there's not a lot of them.  There's an overwhelming amount of them.

The intention that no further new features will be added, to me, does not make sense as a reason for not releasing a new build.  I would understand if you say it may put more loads on support, it may confuse users, it may break a promise, etc.  But human defines versions, bug fixes has to be made available, and schedules slips is a fact of life.

We know a fix can open bugs old and new.  If you're not releasing them, how can public test the fixes?

Thanks Trekkie.

Advertisement: