possible to convert an old style ezboard?

Started by Egg, March 16, 2004, 08:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Egg

is there a suitable convertor out there for ezboard to smf1??

thanks

Ben_S

No, and it's unlikely there ever will be as ezboard won't give you access to the db.

It would be  possible to create one that "reads" posts & stuff but it would take ages and I dont imagine anyone is going to write it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

Egg

bugger
I was thinking of doing the ezboard to  phpBB  and then to smf route..

you reckon that would work??

Grudge

I'm only a half geek really...

Egg

well, I'll try in that case and let you know!!

Egg

ez to phpBB seems to be working. its a laborius process though, but as its the only option...

works better on the smaller forums in teh board..

larger forum with over 5000 topics took about 4 hours, and i got to wondering if it was still working....or jsut looping...

it got them all in the end...

4 more forums to do, and then convert to SMF

[Unknown]

I might try reverse engineering the phpBB one, but I'll have to ask permission first.

-[Unknown]

nave

please flame me if i'm totally off the mark here, because i haven't a clue what i'm talking about. would it be possible to do a similar thing with a proboards board to phpbb to smf? i have a board with .. well lets just say a lot of posts and members, and i dont really want to stay there, would rather host it myself and my members like smf already, so i was hoping to move but i dont want to lose what we've built over the last two years.

Oldiesmann

Proboards and similar hosted boards are hard to convert from due to the way they store data (ie they don't want you touching it). I think he means he's thinking about hacking up the ezboard to phpBB convertor so it will go from ezboard to SMF since a lot of us are unfamiliar with how to do this.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

nave

a shame, really. i knew i should have switched it to yabbse last year when i had the chance, back when we only had 50,000 posts to lose instead of 100,000.

[Unknown]

It might be possible to transfer it... but I can promise you that it will take a LONG time to convert.

I'm not sure when I will have time to get to ezboard/proboards though.......

-[Unknown]

nave

i dont really have hope of it ever happening, but thanks

oh and if it was possible to convert.. i would drastically prune the board, leaving only important posts. i would probably cut it by 75%

bluevoodu

so there is no solution to this? or is there?

I have an old EZboard I am looking to switch over as well....

IE did that EZ to Phpbb then to SMF work?

Even if there is an experimental way... I am game to try it.

†B†V†
We want you to join:
Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

bluevoodu

egg did you get Ezboard to PHPbb to work?

I cannot get the frigger to work for the life of me.

†B†V†
We want you to join:

Egg

yes I did.

let me check my notes at home.

but I think it was all to do with the multiple page setting, it is in a capital Y , and it hangs.. and keeps looping.

I changed it for a lowercase y and it asks you to continue to next page... it takes very little time. dunno why that worked, but it did.

do the rest as it says on the tin.
I lost the DB I saved it to,  but will be doing it again shortly.

bluevoodu

were you on MySQL or MS SQL for Phpbb?

just curious :)  as I am on MS SQL.. and the converter seems to be written for MySQL.

†B†V†
We want you to join:

Egg

Advertisement: