News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Tutorials I need to write...

Started by [Unknown], March 18, 2004, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Unknown]

I have a list of tutorials I want to write in my head, but some of them... have gone missing.  I know I will forget some, so maybe it's better if I take requests.

Currently, I plan to write:
  - details on the templating system.
  - details on packaging a theme/smiley set/package.
  - walk through for SSI.php.
  - walk through for adding several different types of things to profiles.
  - details on writing a modification. (much later when package manager is done.)

Anything else I should write?

Remember that I'm a developer, I write CODING documentation :P.

-[Unknown]

Tyris

This almost certainly comes under templating or something... but basically a single text document with ALL the array's and where they appear and what each key is used for etc would be very useful :) (just making sure ;))

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tyris on March 18, 2004, 03:05:08 AM
This almost certainly comes under templating or something... but basically a single text document with ALL the array's and where they appear and what each key is used for etc would be very useful :) (just making sure ;))

That would take me a long time, but I do plan to do that a bit later.

-[Unknown]

Kris

Looking forward to the tutorial for extending profiles.

Tyris

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 18, 2004, 03:10:07 AM
Quote from: Tyris on March 18, 2004, 03:05:08 AM

That would take me a long time, but I do plan to do that a bit later.

-[Unknown]
really? aaa.. I thought it was gonna be one of the first things along with the templating tutes ><
heheheh... I think I'll go about making my own list by print_r'ing everything ;)
thanx for letting me know tho :)

[Unknown]

Quote from: Tyris on March 18, 2004, 03:36:00 AM
heheheh... I think I'll go about making my own list by print_r'ing everything ;)
thanx for letting me know tho :)

You're gonna laugh - but that was exactly what I planned to do as well.  If you can make a list for me, I can describe it.

-[Unknown]

Tyris

whee!! ok... well I'm off to watch a movie with my parents in a few minutes... but I'll try to get onto that in the weekend :)
* Tyris goes and dances coz he has something nice and easy to do to help out

Peter Duggan

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 18, 2004, 02:43:05 AM
Remember that I'm a developer, I write CODING documentation :P.

Time to join this discussion to add that *I'm* a doc writer, so I'll be working on help doc/manual type stuff!

Not hijacking this topic (which must stay focused on coding doc), but must just mention that the user help (the stuff that belongs to the 'Help' button) is currently being rewritten, some other new doc is under discussion and, as David has recently pointed out, we hope to bring you some helpful Flash movies in time:

Quote from: David on March 17, 2004, 11:01:53 PM
Documentation is a very important aspect of any software project.  We have already posted basic guides to installing and upgrading SMF and more are in the works.  We are trying very hard to compile excellent documentation for both all of you as administrators as well as your end users.  This process will however take time to fully complete.  While offering guides as posts is useful, we plan to offer multiple formats including flash tutorial movies.  Simple Machines' developers have also been great about documenting the code as they are working which should greatly help mod developers.

Don't want to take up any more space in this thread just now, but please look out for a new help doc topic in a more appropriate board soon where I'll also be asking what you, the users, would most like to see documented and whether anyone's interested in helping! :)

Dem0n

AmphetaMarinE

I am really looking forward to an ssi.php tutorial...
That would be most helpful to a php n00b such as myself :)
Sign Here: X..........................................................................................

Anguz

[Unknown], do you think this could be useful to help explain the code?

http://phpdocu.sourceforge.net/
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

[Unknown]

(I dunno, this isn't long enough to be separate, I'll have to put it with something, but it's important for people new to the system...)

The Basic Flow of SMF
SMF has a pretty logical flow model.  For general code and functions, everything flows like this:

Client -> index.php -> Source file and database -> Template system -> Client

The files in the Sources directory essentially parse input and raw data, and make it ready for the template system to accept it.  The source file run depends on the array in index.php, which sends it there....

After the source file is done, index.php takes the data to the appropriate templates and sub templates, and has them display it.

-[Unknown]

writeto

Perhaps a flowing diagram would be beneficial when you publish that.

ms_ukyankee

Suggestion for another tutorial (or section of a tutorial), which I will have questions about, and I've seen it asked regarding other forums:

- How to restrict non forum pages to logged in members or special membergroups.

Your tutorial looks pretty good to me, [Unknown], but would like also to know how to require the additional field information on Registration, so maybe a note that mentions whether adding the field the Reg template will work, etc.
SMF since 2004 <3

souleman

Maybe pretty usless or already exist, but a list of what files are for SMF.  After upgrading, I noticed that I have a LOT of files left over from yabbse (especially after doing some mods).  It would be helpful to know what the files are for also, although most of them are pretty self explanatory just by looking at the name of the file.

Another wuld be a list of the tables in the database.  I don't think I need both smilies and smilys (or something like that) tables, but not sure which is from yabbse and which is from SMF. 

I will take the time to figure it out and get it all cleaned up, but once it goes public, some people that are doing the upgrade will probably not want to spend the time to figure it out themself, so it would be nice to have.

[Unknown]

It's too big to post ;) :P.

-[Unknown]

Tristan Perry

Quote from: [Unknown] on March 31, 2004, 10:58:27 PM
It's too big to post ;) :P.

-[Unknown]
I'm guessing you didn't do that by memory, right?  :P

[Unknown]

Sorry, but I'm not going to sit there and type 24 kilobytes of filenames.  No way, sorry :P.

I just used some fancy-shmancy development tools I've got ;).

-[Unknown]

The_Altered1

Mainly all I would like to see is a standard method for importing/exporting themes. That way everyone would follow a standard example and not variate from that.  Keep it a constant/consistant process.

It's not that hard to do, but I can just see 20 different readme files from different people stating different ways to install their themes. Not good for the inexperienced smf user.

Advertisement: