News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Custom Profile Field Mod

Started by winrules, March 30, 2006, 02:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winrules

Quote from: GJ-tje on June 09, 2006, 04:14:54 PM
Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: GJ-tje on June 09, 2006, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:05:24 PM
You could put a link to the BBC help page in the description.
Yes, but I don't think that users will click on it -> users are lazy, keep that in mind... ;)
They don't even have to use BBC in the first place, so If they are lazy they wouldn't use BBC in the first place.

Why did you made it possible to set an option to parse BB code or not? ;)
So in order to make it easier for the least advanced users or the somewhat advanced users, I think it would be great to add it... :) I also think that a lot more users will use the mod and give more positive feedback about it... ;)
If I have other people request it I may make it but otherwise I probobally won't. You could always use [Unknown]'s tutorial and put a call to theme_postbox().

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

GJ-tje

Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:23:18 PM
Quote from: GJ-tje on June 09, 2006, 04:14:54 PM
Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:11:10 PM
Quote from: GJ-tje on June 09, 2006, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:05:24 PM
You could put a link to the BBC help page in the description.
Yes, but I don't think that users will click on it -> users are lazy, keep that in mind... ;)
They don't even have to use BBC in the first place, so If they are lazy they wouldn't use BBC in the first place.

You're the author of the mod, you know what the code does... And I don't... I really would appreciate it if you would add it... :)

I also have another question...
Can you add a feature to it, that also users with Global Moderator rights can view a field on a profile and also for editing?

If it would be possible, you could a 'user behaviour' field, a personal note about a user... So the mods and admins can see if it is a terrible user or not?

Reason I ask this is because I have a chat, which does everything with SMF / SSI.php... If a user comes into helpdesk and a mod or admin sees that the user (can be very annoying, the mod / admin helping him can keep in mind that the user can be annoying...
Why did you made it possible to set an option to parse BB code or not? ;)
So in order to make it easier for the least advanced users or the somewhat advanced users, I think it would be great to add it... :) I also think that a lot more users will use the mod and give more positive feedback about it... ;)
If I have other people request it I may make it but otherwise I probobally won't. You could always use [Unknown]'s tutorial and put a call to theme_postbox().

Can you make it also possible to make it possible for global moderators to view / edit a custom profile field?

I am askin this, because I run a chat, based on SMF and if someone joins our Helpdesk, the mod or admin helping a user can see in the profile from that user is that is annoying or not...

Kind like of personal notes... :) Just like it is now for the admins, but then also for Global Moderators... ;)
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something of equal value.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

"People should not be afraid of their Goverments. Goverments should be afraid of their People."

winrules

More options for who can view and edit fields have been requested before and will be in the next version :).

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

timkenmaster

Any luck on adding this to the memberlist?

itsacoaster

Quote from: winrules on June 09, 2006, 04:31:46 PM
More options for who can view and edit fields have been requested before and will be in the next version :).
Awesome.  That's what I was hoping. :)

winrules

Quote from: timkenmaster on June 15, 2006, 08:10:27 PM
Any luck on adding this to the memberlist?
I'm working on it, but I keep having trouble adding sortabillity.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

PrizeLive.com

I installed this mod and adding a custom field but nothing is showing up on any page.

I have version 1.1 RC2 if that matters.

Can someone help?
Get Paid Instantly via PayPal (or other options) at PrizeLive.com!

winrules

Are you using a custom theme?

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

PrizeLive.com

Quote from: winrules on June 30, 2006, 11:15:29 AM

No I'm not. I'm just using the default theme.

What does this mod do anyway?

I want to be able to edit/add/change values for a specific member and have it show on their profile page. Can this value also be entered into the smf_members table?

winrules

Quote from: SurfExcelerator.com on June 30, 2006, 11:50:21 AM
Quote from: winrules on June 30, 2006, 11:15:29 AM

No I'm not. I'm just using the default theme.

What does this mod do anyway?

I want to be able to edit/add/change values for a specific member and have it show on their profile page. Can this value also be entered into the smf_members table?
The mod adds fields to the forum profile information part of the profile. The data is stored in the themes table.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

PrizeLive.com

Quote from: winrules on June 30, 2006, 01:44:33 PM
The mod adds fields to the forum profile information part of the profile. The data is stored in the themes table.

Thanks, I just got it working.

Say for example I enter in the value, 100, for a custom field. How can I get the # of posts to subtract the number I enter in the custom field?

winrules

Quote from: SurfExcelerator.com on June 30, 2006, 01:48:31 PM
Quote from: winrules on June 30, 2006, 01:44:33 PM

Thanks, I just got it working.

Say for example I enter in the value, 100, for a custom field. How can I get the # of posts to subtract the number I enter in the custom field?
Can't you just edit the post count for that?

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

PrizeLive.com

Quote from: winrules on June 30, 2006, 01:50:35 PM
Can't you just edit the post count for that?

I don't really want to edit the post count.

I'm awarding members 4 points per post and say someone has earned 100 points and each point is worth $0.01. So once I pay this member $1.00, I want to enter in "100" for Points Paid, and have the Total Points Earned value subtract the value I enter into the custom field.

Does that make sense, or do you need more info?

benjaminkeith

Help me out, because I'm not sure I'm understanding this concept:

Why is the extraneous information, such as custom profile fields, placed in the "smf_themes" table in the database?

Wouldn't it be easier (and more easy to manage) if the information for member profile fields were kept in the "smf_Member" table?

Most of the basic member information is kept there now, such as Member Name, aim, yahoo, msn, website, etc. etc.

If the custom profile information was inserted into the "smf_Members" table, wouldn't coding for additions, modifications, and SEARCHES of that information be easier?

I'm not a coder (but I play one on TV), so I may just be shooting in the dark here.  I also understand that the code for the SMF is pretty concrete in nature, so modifying the base is generally harder than just "adding code" to it.

Tell me why I'm wrong... so that I may understand.

Thanks!
Trust No One

Harzem

Since you are not a experienced coder, there is not much clear way we can explain it to you but,

1. creating a new row in the database for each individual profile field is not feasible. The best thing is, an admin shouldn't be able to alter the database structure.

2. Searching in themes table is easier and faster for MySQL, because every data is in the same row.

nermeen_elhelw

why don't you guys modify the "custom profile field mod" so that it:
1- shows the custom field on members list
2- give the ability to search using that custom field

i hope to see this here soon

keep up the good work

SMF is really good value !!

winrules

Quote from: nermeen_elhelw on July 06, 2006, 08:27:54 PM
why don't you guys modify the "custom profile field mod" so that it:
1- shows the custom field on members list
2- give the ability to search using that custom field

i hope to see this here soon

keep up the good work

SMF is really good value !!
I am working on those.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

GJ-tje

WinRules, as you posted here I can try to edit your mod a bit by doing something with theme_postbox() function.

Can you give me the URL to that posting, or give me the tutorial for it?
Many thanks in advance!
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something of equal value.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange."

"People should not be afraid of their Goverments. Goverments should be afraid of their People."

j.kay

Hi, There is news for the search function for the custom field ?
;)

winrules

Quote from: j.kay on July 12, 2006, 10:49:56 AM
Hi, There is news for the search function for the custom field ?
;)
Not yet.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Advertisement: