Password request in profile edit does not take special characters

Started by test---, April 08, 2006, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

test---

I have special characters in my password to make it more difficult to guess, and I can log in with this password without trouble, but in the profile page, when I tried to change my display name, I encountered an "Incorrect password" error.  I never got this problem when I used a simpler password, so I ascertain that it's a result of a the characters I use.  If it would help, in a PM I can give the two characters that I believe are in question to an administrator.

winrules

Quote from: test--- on April 08, 2006, 04:22:43 PM
I have special characters in my password to make it more difficult to guess, and I can log in with this password without trouble, but in the profile page, when I tried to change my display name, I encountered an "Incorrect password" error.  I never got this problem when I used a simpler password, so I ascertain that it's a result of a the characters I use.  If it would help, in a PM I can give the two characters that I believe are in question to an administrator.
I've noticed this too. I thought it was just I kept getting my passoword wrong or something, but now that its happened at several different SMF sites and I saw this, I think it's a SMF bug.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods
Please do not PM me for support.

test---

Yeah, it's definitely a bug then.  I tried multiple times.  But, again, my password works everywhere else, so that's wierd.
The coding for password authentication must have changed between the times when those login boxes were made.

winrules

Quote from: test--- on April 12, 2006, 06:21:15 PM
Yeah, it's definitely a bug then.  I tried multiple times.  But, again, my password works everywhere else, so that's wierd.
The coding for password authentication must have changed between the times when those login boxes were made.
Yeah, I'll look at the code and see if I can find anything, I'd really like to see this fixed.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

winrules

Could you please change the topic title to something like [BUG]Password request in profile edit does not take special characters, it might get more attention that way as it doesn't seem to be getting any right now.

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Dannii

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

winrules

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

winrules

Please, can someone take a look at this, it makes it very hard to change anything in account releated settings...

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

H

-H
Former Support Team Lead
                              I recommend:
Namecheap (domains)
Fastmail (e-mail)
Linode (VPS)

winrules

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Thantos

I was able to change my password and log in with an & character on the 1.1 cvs and 1.1 RC2.

winrules

Quote from: Thantos on April 18, 2006, 05:09:34 PM
I was able to change my password and log in with an & character on the 1.1 cvs and 1.1 RC2.
try the password "test&test" I tried it and it didn't work. (it always works to log in, just not to verify password in account releated settings)

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Thantos

Ah I see what you are saying.  You are right with the & in the pw it doesn't verify the password.

Thantos

To fix:
File:  Profile.php
Find: // Does the integration want to check passwords?
$good_password = false;
if (isset($modSettings['integrate_verify_password']) && function_exists($modSettings['integrate_verify_password']))
if (call_user_func($modSettings['integrate_verify_password'], $user_profile[$memID]['memberName'], $_POST['oldpasswrd'], false) === true)
$good_password = true;

// Bad password!!!
if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . $_POST['oldpasswrd']))
$post_errors[] = 'bad_password';

Add before
// Since the password got modified due to all the $_POST cleaning, lets undo it so we can get the correct password
$_POST['oldpasswrd'] = addslashes(un_htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($_POST['oldpasswrd'])));

Harzem

Will a patch be released for that? Or will we just be silent until 1.1 Final or RC3 ;)

winrules

Quote from: Thantos on April 18, 2006, 05:33:11 PM
To fix:
File:  Profile.php
Find: // Does the integration want to check passwords?
$good_password = false;
if (isset($modSettings['integrate_verify_password']) && function_exists($modSettings['integrate_verify_password']))
if (call_user_func($modSettings['integrate_verify_password'], $user_profile[$memID]['memberName'], $_POST['oldpasswrd'], false) === true)
$good_password = true;

// Bad password!!!
if (!$good_password && $user_info['passwd'] != sha1(strtolower($user_profile[$memID]['memberName']) . $_POST['oldpasswrd']))
$post_errors[] = 'bad_password';

Add before
// Since the password got modified due to all the $_POST cleaning, lets undo it so we can get the correct password
$_POST['oldpasswrd'] = addslashes(un_htmlspecialchars(stripslashes($_POST['oldpasswrd'])));

Thanks a ton, thantos :)

winrules
SMF Developer

My Mods

Thantos

Quote from: HarzeM on April 18, 2006, 05:37:02 PM
Will a patch be released for that? Or will we just be silent until 1.1 Final or RC3 ;)
It'll be covered in the next release of 1.1

Advertisement: