News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Feature requests?

Started by Orstio, April 10, 2006, 06:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPax

Quote from: kalligator on April 17, 2006, 09:02:42 PM
Yes this is the case I'm talking about: Joomfish and Mambelfish.
I guess they borrow $mosConfig_lang to store the users' language pref. At least Mambelfish I know for sure, I use it to present different images according to lang.

Kalligator read the following post carefully and make sure you read to the end and you get a working solution.

click here

Should you have any further doubts just ask.

MadPax

TriGrrrl

One of the greatest needs for our site is a nicely-working "Upcoming Events" module.  It has been mentioned that smf_events will be cleaned up soon and I am still crossing my fingers.  :)

The output displayed does not seem to have any rhyme or reason.  The events that are shown are not really the ones that are coming up next (maybe they are the most recently added?).

Ideally, the output would look like this:

Monday, April 24
* an event
* another event scheduled on this date

Thursday, April 27
* another event

Friday, April 28
* a Friday event
* another Friday event
* a third Friday event

Right now it looks like this, perhaps not even showing the events coming up soonest:

* a third Friday event
[04-28-2006]

* another event
[04-27-2006]

* a Friday event
[04-28-2006]

tioksi

I've been using this bridge for a while and it works like a dream. :) Still. Something is missing. Nowadays people have many user accounts and passwords to different sites too and people are complaining that they have too many things to remember.

If I have understood correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) this bridge doesn't duplicate password from Joomla's password database to SMF's database when user changes his/her password? Am I right? Would it be possible that when someone changes password it would automatically change in both databases? Then users have one thing less to remember (just one password to the whole site). Thank you. :)

iqapps

Hi
Joomla/Mambo-Letterman
Many user use Letterman I think

It's been nice to add subscription newsletter to registration form (check box). If this is possible or not to much job.....

Regards
IQAPPS

Orstio

QuoteI've been using this bridge for a while and it works like a dream.  Still. Something is missing. Nowadays people have many user accounts and passwords to different sites too and people are complaining that they have too many things to remember.

If I have understood correctly (correct me if I'm wrong) this bridge doesn't duplicate password from Joomla's password database to SMF's database when user changes his/her password? Am I right? Would it be possible that when someone changes password it would automatically change in both databases? Then users have one thing less to remember (just one password to the whole site). Thank you.

When a user changes his/her SMF password, the bridge automatically changes the Mambo/Joomla password to match.  That has been the case since bridge 2.2 released back in 2004.

Orstio

Quote from: iqapps on April 25, 2006, 04:58:50 PM
Hi
Joomla/Mambo-Letterman
Many user use Letterman I think

It's been nice to add subscription newsletter to registration form (check box). If this is possible or not to much job.....

Regards
IQAPPS

Do you have a link where I can download Letterman?

iqapps

Hi
QuoteDo you have a link where I can download Letterman?
http://virtuemart.net/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=166&Itemid=66

Regards
IQAPPS

keirlawson

Quote from: Orstio on April 14, 2006, 01:27:13 PM
A template file that contains mainly HTML for the mod_smf_login module, so that users can customize their own look/feel for the module.
Im not sure if this would allow this, but id really like to be able to customise the login module for when no one is logged in, as it is very big!

Kindred

what do you mean: "very big"   big as in, lots of code? big as in, takes up a lot of space?

How would you like to be able to "customize" the module?

When you make a request, you really have to be more specific as to what you are talking about.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

keirlawson

OK, sorry, it takes up a lot of space with a lot of text, some of which should be optional i feel. for instance id like to get rid of the "Login with username, password and session length" text as i feel it is unnessesary.

Orstio

Yes, being able to define your own login module template would accomplish this.

Kindred

Well, then modify the module...

sertiously, making additional options for an already huge list of options for someone who wants to get rid of what most of us consider a basic function/text is a silly request.

How is a user supposed to figure out what the boxes are for if there's no heading text?

but if you don't want it... then change it in your own module.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

zigzag

How about an ajax based login module, I've seen one for joomla but I don't know if it's possible to do with smf and/or a javascript expand/collapse for the space issue.

Orstio

Joomla 1.5 comes with some interesting integration features.

I can make it so that the next bridge for Joomla will be able to use the default Joomla login and it will instantly login to SMF as well.  :)

TheOtherShoe

Quote from: Orstio on May 08, 2006, 10:24:36 AM
Joomla 1.5 comes with some interesting integration features.

I can make it so that the next bridge for Joomla will be able to use the default Joomla login and it will instantly login to SMF as well.  :)
<prostrating to pay homage> just try and make it so an SMF group can be mapped to Joomla Unregistered Guest group, please.

paki

I would like the readme file to have the following information in it:

Are you having trouble after turning on SEF in Joomla? Getting 404 errors when you try to access this:
The requested URL /component/option,com_smf/Itemid,27/board,49.0 was not found on this server.

Ensure your HTACCESS file's Standard SEF section looks like this. If it does, and the problems continue, THEN post on the SMF boards about it.
########## Begin Standard SEF Section
## ALL (RewriteCond) lines in this section are only required if you actually
## have directories named 'content' or 'component' on your server
## If you do not have directories with these names, comment them out.
#
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (/|\.htm|\.php|\.html|/[^.]*)$  [NC]
RewriteRule ^(content/|component/) index.php
#
########## End Standard SEF Section

Although it is CLEARLY documented in the HTACCESS file itself, people still have trouble with it. Having it in the README file will reduce most of it since people will be reading it while trying to install it, though some people will still disregard it.

This is what it says in the HTACCESS file:
Quote from: JOOMLA HTACCESS FILE. READ IT#####  SOLVING PROBLEMS WITH COMPONENT URL's that don't work #####
# SPECIAL NOTE FOR SMF USERS WHEN SMF IS INTEGRATED AND BRIDGED
# OR ANY SITUATION WHERE A COMPONENT's URL's AREN't WORKING
#
# In both the 'Standard SEF', and '3rd Party or Core SEF' sections the line:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# May need to be uncommented.  If you are running your Joomla/Mambo from
# a subdirectory the name of the subdirectory will need to be inserted into this
# line.  For example, if your Joomla/Mambo is in a subdirectory called '/test/',
# change this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
# to this:
# RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^(/test/component/option,com) [NC,OR] ##optional - see notes##
#
#####################################################
http://www.dfwhyundais.com <-- Dallas/Ft. Worth's Local Hyundai Group

paki

Another suggestion: This one is inspired by everyone who has had the Sync issue, and Kindred & Orstio having to scramble around to help everyone with that issue.

How about some kind of visual confirmation (kind of like Captcha) just for the Synchronization tab? You could have some kind of pop up that says "are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want to do this? you could lose administration rights if you have not set this correctly! Type 'yes' and press submit if you are 100% sure you have set the options correctly."

it might reduce the amount of "i lost joomla admin rights!!!!11" posts

/edit whoops.. it looks like Orstio had already mentioned this. Sorry!

Kindred

I know Orstio mentioned he might do this sort of thing... but I have to ask...why?   
nothing else in Joomla asks for that sort of confirmation...

Like most linux utilties...   the programs assume that you either know what you are doing, or you should not be doing it.
(for example... CPanel does not ask "are you sure" when you tell it to delete your database...)

This "catering to the lowest common denominator of stupidity" (or maybe it's just laziness because they didn't read the full instructions) is so overdone these days.
Слaва
Украинi

paki

Quote from: Kindred on May 19, 2006, 05:00:56 PM
I know Orstio mentioned he might do this sort of thing... but I have to ask...why?   
nothing else in Joomla asks for that sort of confirmation...

Like most linux utilties...   the programs assume that you either know what you are doing, or you should not be doing it.
(for example... CPanel does not ask "are you sure" when you tell it to delete your database...)

This "catering to the lowest common denominator of stupidity" (or maybe it's just laziness because they didn't read the full instructions) is so overdone these days.

Well, the main reason is so that more of the bigger issues can be solved instead of these issues that involve people not reading anything. With less time needed on the support forums for stupid things, you can work on the bridge or spend more time in whichever activities you do in your daily life :)

Orstio

Quote from: Orstio on April 23, 2006, 05:08:39 PM
Add a warning to the Group Synch that says "You may be left without a Super Administrator if you do this" when the setting for the Admin/Super Admin is changed.

Also add a "Are you sure?  This will remove your Super Admin status." popup when clicking the Group Synch button.

I agree that it seems that some people like to click on absolutely everything in the Joomla admin panel without even reading what it says.  (One person that messed up his super admin group did not even know which buttons he pushed nor what they said).  In some of those extreme cases, even a popup that states "YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE ADMIN ACCESS TO JOOMLA!" will not even stop a person from doing it, and then requesting help to fix it.

Advertisement: