News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Response from a Competitor...

Started by Oldiesmann, April 05, 2004, 10:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldiesmann

As many of you know, one of my favorite hobbies is spamming competitors' boards advertising for SMF. Last night, I came across some pathetic thing called punBB. Anyway, one of the threads was from someone wanting to convert from IPB to punBB, so, since they enabled guest posting, I decided to post my "thoughts" about punBB. I basically said that trying to convert from IPB to punBB was downgrading and to get a real forum at this site. Here's the response I got:

QuoteYou have got to be kidding me. That forum is poorly made! In fact, it's a poor quality Invision Board rip-off. The developers managed to copy the directory structure, the file names and even the array that "decides" which class to load through index.php. Except, they did a poor implementation which does not use Object Oriented programming methods and there is plentiful redundant code everywhere.

Send me a PM if you want the link.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Christian Land

You mean: http://en.safeurl.de/?http://forums.punbb.org/viewtopic.php?id=3507 ? ;D (Link protected by SafeURL - so the SMF-URL doesn't show in their logs ;D)

NO SPAMMING THERE PLEASE!

Those guys are just funny ;D The forum is soooooooooo cute ;D It looks like a phpBB1 rip-off (at least the whole design)

David

Well they can use punBB and bask in its OOP glory if they really want, if they want a fast, featured, advanced forum then they should come here. :)
This space for rent.

[Unknown]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Invision copy YaBB/us :P... sorta?

-[Unknown]

Chris Cromer

Yeah, YaBB was out before IPB... so they are sorta the copy.

I don't like what you did on that board Oldiesmann. While I like SMF and think it is in a whole other league compared to most of the other boards out there I don't think it's right to go to somebody else's forum system just to put it down and tell them to move to a real board.
Chris Cromer

"I was here, here I was, was I here, sure I was" - The little voice in my head.

Oldiesmann

I wasn't telling the people at that community to move to this board, just the person who was wanting to convert from IPB. I posted as a guest anyway...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

eFishie

What if they come here and find out it was you?
--Jon

Abstraction Point Electronic Music Community - We don't bite! Really! I promise!

Check out my newest song: Alive

Oldiesmann

Probably won't happen, but if it does, they can deal with me then...
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Anguz

I think SMF is better too, but that wouldn't make me go to another forum's page and criticize it... I'm with Chris on that
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

nil

WOW that is a good looking forum I think I may switch my boards over to PunBB!  I mean it has no features, looks like crap, and is friggin slow! just what I've been looking for!!!

Later foos im switch to PunBB!!!

:P  lmfao@PunBB!

Peter Duggan

Quote from: Anguz on April 08, 2004, 03:44:30 AM
I think SMF is better too, but that wouldn't make me go to another forum's page and criticize it... I'm with Chris on that

To be honest, I'm with Chris and Anguz here too...

So why should they tolerate SMF fans spamming their boards when that sort of stuff is likely to be locked or deleted here? Sorry if it's one of your favourite hobbies, but IMHO it's *not* a good advert for SMF!

martp

Quote from: Peter Duggan on April 08, 2004, 04:28:26 AM
To be honest, I'm with Chris and Anguz here too...
So why should they tolerate SMF fans spamming their boards when that sort of stuff is likely to be locked or deleted here? Sorry if it's one of your favourite hobbies, but IMHO it's *not* a good advert for SMF!
I agree. ::)

Chris Cromer

How would you guys feel if someone from IPB came here and decided to say stuff like "Switch to IPB because SMF doesn't look as good."?

You would probably feel the same thing those people are feeling most likely. I have respect for the different board systems out there and their creators. I don't go around putting them down or telling their users to switch to something else.

And there is something you should realize, SMF isn't the perfect board for every user on the internet. It may be the perfect for you, but some people have other needs that go into consideration when choosing a board. Heck I am part of the mod team and I don't even use SMF. The only reason I don't use it is because it has more features than I need for my site(polls, calendar, notifications, statistics, etc...), so I wrote my own software to be alot smaller and have only the features needed for a basic bb. PunBB works the same way as my software, it's meant to be used by people that don't want all these extra features that won't even be used and only make the board a tiny bit slower even though they arn't even used.
Chris Cromer

Oldiesmann

Look guys. I'm not trying to cause any trouble. I'm just trying to get the word out about SMF. If you want me to stop, I will, but I really don't think I'm causing any problems for SMF, especially since I'm the only one out there spamming. I guess I'm just trying to "recruit" people from other board systems. I think spamming is a valid way to get the word out.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Chris Cromer

Well I don't come here or to other board systems spamming telling people to use my forum system that I wrote instead. :P

I do it the honest way by submitting my board to search engines, forum sites, and telling my friends who tell their friends, etc...

But to publicize it on an offical forum for other forum software is rude and uncalled for and makes SMF and it's users look like jerks and look bad.
Chris Cromer

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Acf

It's the community that makes the BB! with a community you can eat carrots for all that its worth :P

* (Acf) hmmzz took me 5 seconds to load the boardindex of punbb :P
Sigh...

Advertisement: