News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Increasing member interaction and friendship.

Started by 1MileCrash, December 17, 2006, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1MileCrash

When the "profile comments mod" came out, I had an idea.

I basically created a myspace within my website. I allowed users to add pictures of themselves and enter more information about themselves and their personal life. I'm hoping that members will find more in common with each other than just paintball and therefore building friendship.

Here are some screenshots

The only thing php can't do is tell you how much milk is left in the fridge.

Panzer-

xtremecruiser

I like this, are you going to release this ?  ;D

Orien Wu

Looks really nice. You should release it as a mod. :)

AtlasShrugging

Hey Tipp

We've done something similar; but you have two really nice touches that we haven't accomplished yet. We're using the Field Names & Descriptions. But it would be much cleaner to have Section Names & Descriptions, like you've done.

Did you do this using the Custom Profile Fields Mod? How did you get Section Name (Biography Details) & the Section Description (This section is ..safety)? Have you done this for more than one Section on a Profile?

Assistance much appreciated!
Thanks!

Can help edit & translate FROM Spanish, Italian & German TO English. And English <--> French.

1MileCrash

I didn't use the custom profile fields mod, i did it myself and put them where i wanted in profile.template.

ArkServer

I think you did a great job, any chance if you telling us how to edit the templates?

- danny

I second just about everyone's motion.

Will you release this as a mod? Have you already, or could you tell us how to edit it as you have?

1MileCrash

I couldn't release it as a mod because it's vbgamers mod.  :P

I'll post how to edit the templates. It's not very hard.

perplexed

I love the look of this too, I downloaded the mod but I would love to know how you did the layout, it looks really cool :)

perplexed

Quote from: Tippmaster on January 10, 2007, 04:39:41 PM
I couldn't release it as a mod because it's vbgamers mod.  :P

I'll post how to edit the templates. It's not very hard.

any chance of posting this info?

~thanks

samo8076

yeah it does, any more news on how we can put it in our sites?

1MileCrash

Didn't know this was stickied, but since it is i'll dish out as much info as i can.

I installed the Profile comments mod, with no modifications.

I made the custom profile fields using unknown's tutorial which you can find here: http://www.unknownbrackets.com/tutorials/custom-profile

In the tutorial it addresses outputing the data in profile.template. All i did was follow his instructions and add a table in profile.template. I don't have the file readily availible, but just look for the current profile details. Find where the table ends, and create a new one right underneath.

perplexed

thanks for the info Tippmaster,  I looked at the tutorial but I still have questions :(

How do you make the personal photo display when in your example it just says 'link to photo' or are you using [img] tags somewhere?

How/where do you add the backgrounds to the headers?

And it has a kinda 3d effect, how'd you do that?

Sorry but yours looks really cool

1MileCrash

3d effect? what? And to show the image..i just did it like you'd normally put an image. Using a variable for the url of it.

John S

how can the members put a bigger pic? can i do this using the custom profile mod? all i want is a couple of photos is the profile besides the avatar.

1MileCrash

Quote from: yazeft on April 17, 2007, 07:33:55 PM
how can the members put a bigger pic? can i do this using the custom profile mod? all i want is a couple of photos is the profile besides the avatar.

Yeah. I have it so that pic is resized, and clicking on it opens a pop up showing the full sized pic. IDK anything about the custom profile mod.

John S

how did you do that? what did you modify for that to happen?

is there a mod for a blog & gallery for each profile. this will certainly add the icing on the cake...

perplexed

you could probably use the custom profile mod to add a field for an image and maybe make it a thumbnail?

there is a blog in beta status now, and there is Gallery lite which you could link to profiles maybe

there is also another mod in beta for buddy list with avatars etc, making it like myspace, and a profile comments mod too :D

Advertisement: