News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

MySpace Profile Mod

Started by SMdot™, May 10, 2007, 05:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMdot™

Okay this is probably in the wrong board, and most likely will be considered spam... but I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be having a discussion board on my site to discuss the development of my...

Profile Info Mod
based off of TippMasters Idea to modify the Profile Template and include extra tables

This Mod will completely modify the SMF User Profile
Originally I just wanted to package up TippMasters idea, but I've now decided to completely redesign the boring (no offense) old profile setup.

The Modification will include:

Display Pic/Avatar - default pic chosen from the SMF Gallery Lite pictures that user has uploaded
About Me - small bio about yourself, interests, etc.
User Info - date registered, members invited, activity, post pount, shop credits, position, etc. etc.
Quick Links - link to user stats, tinyportal contributions, link to posts, smf awards, etc.
Contact Box - message me, comment me, add me (smf buddylist), pictures (smf gallery lite user profile)
Comments - comment box and comments displayed on page

click for full size

Got any suggestions? : http://www.shomazta.com/smf/index.php?topic=365.0

Update : This project is in beta however my sites acting up and I haven't been able to access my database the last two days, so it's on hold. I'll release a test package soon tho =P

John S

hahah, awesome... defintely we have to have something connected to the gallery lite mod that allows each member to upload pics (of themselves etc.. ) and have them display in their profile.. at least 4 or 5 would be great...

oh and also, something perhaps that members can choose from a variety of profile backgrounds colours and wallpapers.. and once chosen are viewable by everyone.. so the only thing that changes is everything in the 'profile' section...

also, music player..? similar to the youtube video in profile mod, something that people can choose their favourite 5 playlist and have them play from some source..

alot of these ideas are derived from websites similar to myspace, bebo, facebook.. etc.. it'll be great to get those features here!

ooo.. i can't wait...

cheers

SMdot™

not so found of the altering background idea...

As you can see in my screenshot users will now be able to have a Contact Box.
I'm thinking I'll allow that to be altered. And that alone as far as changing the look of ones own profile =P

As far as music and movies, those do sound great... how about instead it'll display a list of the users contributed files (action=mediacenter) via the Media Center Mod =P

Reason's being is it'd be alot harder to have specific areas for music and what not....

In the users About Me however they could always add a small flash media player =P one that allows them to put different urls and it'll generate a mini media player.

John S

Quote from: SMdot™ on May 11, 2007, 11:46:05 AM
not so found of the altering background idea...

dude, i've done a survey with my members and they (also who use myspace & bebo) voted the backrgound change and wallpapers in profile to be the most requested!

alot of them like how in myspace etc they get to customise the LOOK of their profile.. (virtually also their space)

it's probably a little difficult to make, but if myspace can do it so can we!

all it is, is just a selection box with a number of varieties of pre-designed backgrounds and colours.. could make use of the css stylesheet or something like that or pattern backgrounds... that once selected view their account, will change the way their profile looks and when others view the profile its got the colours and chosen background...

cheers

SMdot™

we need to get more designers/coders interested in the development of this mod... or at least give me more of a desire to get it done sooner =P i'm lazy...

maybe we can discuss ideas of what can be modified...

also i'm thinking about renaming the mod... know one seems to care much for the name "Profile Info" help me come up with a more intriguing name that will get SMF users to check this out.

John S

profile features mod

ultimate profile mod

myspace profile mod

Metal_13

cool... when will it finish? ill wait for this...

SMdot™

Quote from: metal13 on May 18, 2007, 09:55:37 AM
cool... when will it finish? ill wait for this...

hey tauhan! agad may pag-asa.

skeletonkiss

I'm usually against myspace-clone type mods but I really like this idea, especially this: "User Info - date registered, members invited, activity, post pount, shop credits, position, etc. etc."

SMdot™

Quote from: skeletonkiss on May 19, 2007, 08:28:05 PM
I'm usually against myspace-clone type mods but I really like this idea, especially this: "User Info - date registered, members invited, activity, post pount, shop credits, position, etc. etc."

thanks... I know I called it MySpace Profile Mod, however I want it to be more unique then just a clone =P but thanks for the input!

ShawnX

This is exactly what I'm looking for!  Can't wait!!!

A suggestion: Please make a way to limit the width of pictures posted in profiles and comments  :)

SMdot™

definitely will make note of that idea =)

ProwlingTiger11

Is there by chance a way to integrate a blog into this? And maybe a community page, like MySpace has, where it shows update blogs, new users, etc..?

But it looks real nice so far!

karlbenson

Looking at the pic, are you sure it won't force horizontal scrolling for 800x600 resolution users.
The width looks alot larger than the 785 pixels width suitable for 800x600 users (as the scrollbar can be between 10-15px depending on browser (IE/FF = 10, Opera = 15)

ProwlingTiger11

Its around 720-30 pixels. You have to remember that his forums' nav is on the left, adding to the width.

SMdot™

also that's just an image I made in PhotoShop... the actual tables might be dynamic... still looking for suggestions =P as far as integrating a blog and having SM's Recent Blog Entries ... I could do that... if there was a blog module =P

Tony Reid

How about outputting the users buddy list?
Tony Reid

SMdot™

Quote from: Tony on June 04, 2007, 03:31:32 PM
How about outputting the users buddy list?

that sounds like a good idea... what fashion tho? random five buddies?

Tony Reid

I'd just go with a list - and links to their respective profiles.

You could go one step further and create another buddy table

Alter the members table to include a new field buddy_associates which is identical to buddy_list... something like this...

alter table `smf_forum`.`smf_members` ,add column `buddy_associates` tinytext   NOT NULL  COLLATE latin1_swedish_ci  after `unreadMessages`

And then whenever a user adds a buddy the table is compared to see if they already exist as an associate.

You could then generate something like this:

more info here : http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/events/foaf-galway/papers/pp/creating_a_social_network/

Of course you would have to run a script to generate the content of the associated buddy list the first time you set this up.

Tony Reid

Advertisement: