Simple Machines is happy to release a compatibility update to Simple Machines Forum 1.0.5. This release addresses a backward compatibility issue with the new release of PHP, 4.4.0, which causes SMF to stop working entirely.
You can easily upgrade in one of the following ways:
- Use the package manager in your administration center - one click, and you're done.
- Download the update archive file, and upload all of the files from it.
- Download the modification file, attached to this message, and modify the files manually according to it.
- Download the Subs.php file attached to this mesage, and upload it to your Sources directory (if you have no modifications installed.)
- Find the following in Sources/Subs.php:
And remove the & (ampersand.) How do I modify files?
You should install this update as soon as possible if you wish to install it via the package manager, as your forum will become inaccessible if your host upgrades to PHP 4.4.0 without this change, and you will not be able to access the package manager.
If you are using SMF 1.1 Beta 3 Public, you do not need to make any changes. That version is already compatible with PHP 4.4.0.