News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What are some good anti-spam questions?

Started by KensonPlays, October 20, 2011, 11:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KensonPlays

This is simply a discussion topic for Good types of anti-spam questions for verification on your forum.

My suggestions are: Some tough, but also easy math problems. Asking what the color of a object is.

What else can you think of?

List of Suggestions:
-------------------------
Unscramble Words
What is LOL backwards?
Write the word "mom" in Capital letters.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=456620.msg3326933#msg3326933
Acronyms

EDIT: PLEASE MOVE, I meant Chit Chat
EDIT 2: Didn't know it was moved here. Nevermind above edit :P
EDIT 3: Added more to the list, completely forgot about it.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

TheListener

1+1= would keep you away from anywhere  ;D

The question people have to answer on my forum is related to the area where I live.

Account Abandoned

A few of mine ask the user to unscramble a word and I give a one word hint. :) I think that makes a great security question and its kind of fun at that, haha!

KensonPlays

Alright, lets keep this coming, this topic could have good ideas for anyone developing anti-spam questions.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Illori

remember easy math questions can be solved by human spammers, which may lead your forum to get spammed, you are best to not use math questions especially if the answer is in words as you may have a user from another country want to use your forum and not be able to. use questions related to you content and the reason people want to use your forum.

KensonPlays

I have like 10-15 questions it will randomly select one from. Until their 10th post.

EDIT: The thing is, I have no specific purpose to my site. It is a general discussion forum. So I have made a few "unscramble this word" questions in addition to others.

EDIT 2: I'm already on the second page of this query: http://www.google.com/search?q=good+anti+spam+questions&hl=en&prmd=imvns&ei=AYqhTrzTJoGIiAKOhoCXCw&start=10&sa=N&biw=1024&bih=653 lol

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Illori

and if the user does not know english well, but wants to post on your forum they most likely can not. you could ask general questions like what software runs your forum [which is in the footer] or what theme are you using [given it is in the footer as well]

KensonPlays

If they select their language shouldn't it change?
Hey... that would be a good mod idea! For the anti-spam questions, if multiple languages installed, input the answer for that language...

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Illori

no it does not change per language change, and most likely not even a mod would be possible without the use of an online translator and then the answer would not be in english, also the translation may not make sense in another language.

KensonPlays

Ah, well it was a good idea :P I already created a topic. But lets get back on topic. Everyone here can contribute, and I will edit the first post with a summary of their suggestions.

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

kat

"How do you think Spammers should be dealt with?"

1) Roasting over a spit.

2) Firing squad.

3) Toenails removed with pliers and shoved up the Spammer's arse.

4) Thermo-nuclear device up afore-mentioned orifice.

KensonPlays

All of them yes, but... ...how would you implement them in SMF?

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

Uhura!

What is LOL backwards?

Write the word "mom" in Capital letters.
:) Our Parenting Spot is an online parenting community for fathers, mothers, grandparents, teachers, and family service professionals. 8) We also provide low cost advertising options for authors, family service providers, and businesses with family friendly products and services. ;D Visit us @ www.OurParentingSpot.net!

KensonPlays

@Uhura!: The anti-spam questions aren't case-sensitive so they could type "mom" "moM" "MoM" "Mom" and they would all be 'correct.'

Owner of Mesozoic Haven

wattie

Quote from: Kcmartz on October 23, 2011, 04:02:08 AM
@Uhura!: The anti-spam questions aren't case-sensitive so they could type "mom" "moM" "MoM" "Mom" and they would all be 'correct.'

They are case sensitive if they are set in non-ascii letters. Not good for international users.

Jade Elizabeth

When I answer one of those questions (which I resent doing) the LAST thing I want to have to do is think about it so unscrambling words would make me close my browser window.

Also, it's not supposed to be fun. Funny maybe, but not fun. People want to be done signing up (most of us hate it) they don't want to be having a blast writing their name in and guessing at questions which means they then have to retype their password and what ever else was lost, like verification!

Also I believe the antispam ARE case sensitive...I had to tell people to use all lowercase for mine.

I have a bunch of grammar questions because my forum is for writers:
The apple is bigger ___ the cherry. (then/than)
The dog lives over ____. (their/there/they're)
This house is ____. (theirs/there's)
I guess they think ____ funny. (they're/their)

Then I ask obvious ones for my other forum:
What month is April Fools in? april
What planet do you live on? earth
What day comes after the weekend? monday
What colour are snow tigers, other than black? white
Using a : and a D make a smiley face in the box. :D
Write h3ll0 with letters instead of numbers. hello

The trick is to use QUICK questions, preferably tailored to your forum, and to not include the answer in them.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Westwegoman

On my forum they have to answer a question asking what state is pictured at the top of this page?

It also helps against spammers from other countries since most can't identify a particular state within the US.

Jade Elizabeth

I lived in the states for 6 years and I still can't identify anything other than Florida. I didnt even live there lol.
Once proud Documentation Writer and Help Squad Leader | Check out my new adult coloring career: Color With Jade/Patreon.

Advertisement: