News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snowy

I have a member who says their computer freezes up since I installed the portal. They are using AOL, but they said it does the same with IE for them. Any thoughts on what might cause this? I really don't want to take the portal down.

Angelina Belle

If you are using the 1.1 version of simpleportal, there is a bug that could cause a browser to hang up after loading the portal page.

I am using SMF 1.1.9, and am using the SPStandalone portal page.
I encountered a problem with the onload event, due to a bug in sportal_init.php.  It affected IE7 (actually IE8 in compatability mode), but not IE8 (because IE8 was not detected by SMF).  The page loaded fine, but then the browser window froze for a long time while the onload event did an infinite recursion, and finally gave an out-of-memory error.  I only observed the freezing problem on the portal page.

The fix turned out to be very easy:
http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2613.msg17355#msg17355
Add one line to sportal_init.php to prevent a block of js from being written to the page twice.

(after I finally narrowed the problem down: http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2613.msg17250#msg17250 )

I hope this fix solves your user's problem.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: Snowy on June 25, 2009, 08:35:07 PM
I have a member who says their computer freezes up since I installed the portal. They are using AOL, but they said it does the same with IE for them. Any thoughts on what might cause this? I really don't want to take the portal down.

AOL is built on IE's Trident engine, that's why. If they want different, use Firefox, or Opera or Chrome or some real browser. :P

And IE8 isn't detected because IE8 uses a standards-compliant engine that doesn't typically need additional tweaks to make it work on normal pages.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Snowy

No, I've installed the latest of simpleportal ~ 2.2.2 ....

Another member said it does the same thing for him at work but not at home. I don't get it...

zeljko

I have problem with forum button ..

bad look

should  to look like:

problem is in these code:

// Show the [home] button.
   echo ($current_action=='home' || $context['browser']['is_ie4']) ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $first . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '' , '
            <td valign="top" class="maintab_' , $current_action == 'home' ? 'active_back' : 'back' , '">
               <a href="', ($modSettings['sp_portal_mode'] == 3 ? $modSettings['sp_standalone_url'] : $scripturl), '">' , $txt[103] , '</a>
            </td>' , $current_action == 'home' ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $last . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '';

// Show the [forum] button.
   if (in_array($modSettings['sp_portal_mode'], array(1, 3)))
      echo ($current_action=='forum' || $context['browser']['is_ie4']) ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $first . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '' , '
            <td valign="top" class="maintab_' , $current_action == 'forum' ? 'active_back' : 'back' , '">
               <a href="', $scripturl . ($modSettings['sp_portal_mode'] == 1 ? '?action=forum' : ''), '">', empty($txt['sp-forum']) ? 'Forum' : $txt['sp-forum'], '</a>
            </td>' , $current_action=='forum' ? '<td class="maintab_active_' . $last . '">&nbsp;</td>' : '';

my orginal code is :

// Show the [home] button.
   echo '
               <li', $current_action == 'home' ? ' id="active"' : '', '><a href="', $scripturl, '">', $txt[103], '</a></li>';

// Show the [help] button.
   echo '
               <li', $current_action == 'help' ? ' id="active"' : '', '><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=help">', $txt[119], '</a></li>';

Thanks  ::)

learjet45

zeljko -

// Show the [forum] button
   echo '
               <li', $current_action == 'forum' ? ' id="active"' : '', '><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=forum">', $txt['sp-forum'], '</a></li>';

There are also a few other custom edits that need to be made to the index.template.php file.

digit

Would you happen to have older versions of the simpleportal mod download?

I have an ancient version... and just realized it was causing a VERY hard to find bug - where the title in profile summaries was not showing up.

I would like to reinstall the latest.

Thanks in advance.

p.s., here is some of the code I have in Load.php (if it helps you determine what version I am running!)
// We will SPortal too.
loadLanguage('SPortal', '', false);

// Initialize the theme.
loadSubTemplate('init', 'ignore');

p.s., why are you blocking my PM's  ???
Happily using a heavily modified 1.1.16 version of SMF!

2748011 Posts in 320998 Topics by 50986 Members

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

learjet45

digit -
Down at the bottom of your screen where the SMF copyrights shows up, there should also be a SimplePortal copyright that displays the version.

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: digit on June 26, 2009, 02:40:44 PM

Who are you speaking to?

Most people seriously supporting SMF here request that you not use the PM system to get support. The reason is generally two-fold.

One, that getting a bunch of PMs about support is annoying. I'd like to get a PM from someone telling me that they liked the obscure joke or reference I put in a post, not nagging me to support their forum.

Two is that if you get support by PM, then that question, and its solution, is hidden. The easiest way (and most avoided, unfortunately) to get support is to search the forum to see if your answer has been resolved already. I know there's an issue where code likes to pop up first, but a google search of our specific site sometimes helps (like "problem question site:simplemachines.org"). If you get your issue resolved by PM, then it's not on the boards, it can't be searched for. So then you have at least five other people, all asking the same question, when they could have found that answer by searching instead. That means more work for the people who help with support, and ultimately longer wait times for unanswered support questions or potential bugs.

Download | Docs

digit

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on June 27, 2009, 01:54:51 AM
Who are you speaking to?

I was referring to.... SimplePortal Team

I sent a pm, and was told the user is blocking your pm's or something to that effect....

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

digit

Quote from: learjet45 on June 26, 2009, 09:45:42 PM
digit -
Down at the bottom of your screen where the SMF copyrights shows up, there should also be a SimplePortal copyright that displays the version.

COOL!  SOOOO - I need to uninstall 2.0.4  :P  Does anyone have that original installer?

TheMistress

hi there! :D just a quick question- do you have a shoutbox that can be used on the portal?

Snowy

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on June 25, 2009, 10:06:23 PM
If you are using the 1.1 version of simpleportal, there is a bug that could cause a browser to hang up after loading the portal page.

I am using SMF 1.1.9, and am using the SPStandalone portal page.
I encountered a problem with the onload event, due to a bug in sportal_init.php.  It affected IE7 (actually IE8 in compatability mode), but not IE8 (because IE8 was not detected by SMF).  The page loaded fine, but then the browser window froze for a long time while the onload event did an infinite recursion, and finally gave an out-of-memory error.  I only observed the freezing problem on the portal page.

The fix turned out to be very easy:
http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2613.msg17355#msg17355
Add one line to sportal_init.php to prevent a block of js from being written to the page twice.

(after I finally narrowed the problem down: http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2613.msg17250#msg17250 )

I hope this fix solves your user's problem.

I'm using the 2.2.2 version of sportal.
For now, I've told him to make the forum page his home page so he doesn't get snagged by the portal.
Some others are having the trouble as well, but I can't figure it out.

[SiNaN]

Quote from: digit on June 27, 2009, 04:22:45 AM
Quote from: learjet45 on June 26, 2009, 09:45:42 PM
digit -

COOL!  SOOOO - I need to uninstall 2.0.4  :P  Does anyone have that original installer?

http://simpleportal.net/index.php?action=downloads;area=cat4
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Snowy

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: digit on June 27, 2009, 04:21:11 AM
Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on June 27, 2009, 01:54:51 AM
Who are you speaking to?

I was referring to.... SimplePortal Team

I sent a pm, and was told the user is blocking your pm's or something to that effect....

That's because the user is a dummy user, intended to convey that SP is a Team effort rather than headed by just one person. He blocks PMs because nobody logs on frequently to check PMs, so we'd prefer you to PM a specific developer or other Team member instead if you have a PMable issue.

Download | Docs

L'AltroWeb

Hi!
I know is not the right place to post this info but i'm really angry for this problem.
I've request this:
http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=2677.msg17609#msg17609
after eliana answer i've send this pm:

and i've edit my profile (removed avatar, sign, mail and any other ifno and i've change username).
After of this eliana as banned me:

and it have renamed back my username.
Now i've send a mail to SiNaN but without any answer.
Monday i will go to my legal with all screenshot and pages (saved for precaution).

I hope that SiNaN want resolve this problem (simply delete or rename my account).
Anyway simpleportal still remain a very good portal.

-
I already know that this post will be deleted very soon...
(PS i've saved also this entire page).

willerby

DW,

Your entire profile on SP consists of the name Dark-Wolf and 4 posts. Why so angry that they won't delete your alias and posts you have made?

On here, I can tell your name (through your link to your website),  and age, I can see 273 posts you have made, and the town you live in. It really is not worth the stress...
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

L'AltroWeb

Quote from: willerby on June 27, 2009, 02:01:02 PM
DW,

Your entire profile on SP consists of the name Dark-Wolf and 4 posts. Why so angry that they won't delete your alias and posts you have made?

On here, I can tell your name (through your link to your website),  and age, I can see 273 posts you have made, and the town you live in. It really is not worth the stress...
i've already explained my reason here: http://simpleportal.net/index.php?topic=576.msg17273#msg17273
Anyway i think is my right to request (like others good forum) to remove my info (for me it can maintain my post).
PS: i repeat: i've changed my username and Eliana have renamed it back.
Also in this site (and in all other than i know) i can request to delete my account in every moment.
IMHO the point isn't "why" but "why-not?"
-
In my site (like any other site i know) an user can request to delete their account and i accept without problem.

Advertisement: