Started by Austin61, April 24, 2004, 12:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin61

Point System
Shop system
and Bank

please? I really need it.

Jack.R.Abbit™

I'm not taking any mod requests at this time... but just a word of advice... elaborate.  You used a total of 6 words to describe three mods.  Even if I had time to make a new mod right now, I have no idea what "Point System", "Shop System" and "Bank" mean.  They are nice titles for mods but it says nothing more. ;)

Grudge

Jack,

When he says point system I think he means my mod in this thread:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=9610.0

It basically adds points to a thread. My MOD already works on beta 3.1415 but I don't have time to port it upwards - but anyone is welcome to butcher it and re-release it.

As far as shop mod goes I believe Unknown has said he may work on something similar to that - assuming you mean like RTS style shop and NOT a real oscommerce type thing!!
I'm only a half geek really...

Austin61

Squeakypants

Does it still work for SMF? You said it might now work in 4.1... When 5.0 goes public, will it work for that? I need this for my LARP's forum; I want people to be able to get bonuses for doing alot online.

Also, in it, can you lower thier points? I don't want spammers to gain a bunch of extras just for spamming...

Thanks,
Monkey Squeakypants

Grudge

Download my MOD and see how it works. I've said I don't have time to support it! In my MOD points work like posts - you can manually increase and lower them. In addition MODs/admins can manually set the point value for a thread - this will get added every time someone replies. It works with SMF 3.1415 (the private beta before 4.0). I'm sure it will need a few changes for beta 5.0 - but simple ones and not many - but still something I do not have time to do.

Austin61

just wondering suppose if that worked ok?
and than where do u put it on which folder?

Grudge

OK. I'm going to run through the concept of applying a boardmod file. Now - bear in mind that in future most mods will be applied through the much easier to use package manager - but this isn't yet finished!

OK. Here you go:

1) You download boardmod from www.boardmod.org
2) After installation you create a new folder in the Mods sub-directory of your installation and name it SMF.
3) Put the mod file you download into this directory.
4) Put a LOCAL copy of your forum onto your hard drive. This is VERY important! Basically, whatever SMF files you have on your server you should have mirrored on your hard drive. The best way to do this is to download the contents of your smd directory on your server to your harddrive - that way you guarantee you have the latest copy of all your files!
5) Load up boardmod and point it to your index.php file that is in the root of your SMF directory that you downloaded from your server! This is normally done by hitting the "browse" button next to the "path" entry on boardmod. You then need to change the filetype in the browser dialog to look for "index.php" and then browse to your path.
6) If you have got this far you are most of the way. Now you simply use the drop down box in boardmod to select the SMF folder and it will list all the mods in that directory. You then hit the checkbox and it will attempt to install the mod. If it has any errors it won't modify any files and will tell you where the errors are - you should use the Mod Editor to correct them.
7) Once you get a MOD installed sucessfully it will have modified the files. Boardmod will tell you which files it has modified for each MOD. You then upload these files back to the server and then you are done. Most MOD's will probably require some SQL changes. You will need to do these seperatly using PHPMyAdmin that should be installed on every server.

There - a guide to installing MOD's - the old fashioned way :D

Austin61

I got 5 errors but o well it still may work

You then upload these files back to the server and then you are done.
Upload which files? the index one only?

Grudge

Upload all the files it says it has modified. Also it will not work unless all the changes were successful! It should be relatively easy to fix the changes. Just look at the editor to work out where it failed and change it accordingly. In addition don't forget to make the SQL changes that are written in the thread under each MOD!!

Austin61

ok look i tried manuale installition and it didnt give me any error and than
i open the index. file and try to fight
ALTER TABLE `smf_messages` ADD `points` INT(10) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;
ALTER TABLE `smf_members` ADD `points` INT( 8 ) DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL ;
but couldnt find it.

Austin61

Oh i see wat ur talking about ok i clicked Mod Action but still couldnt find it.

Austin61

touch these settings. $db_last_error = 0; ?>
Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later

Dang i tried back up file and still aint working Gosh this sux!

now my forum is dead :(

Grudge

I really think you are better off waiting until someone ports this MOD for you. You clearly haven't used a mod before and you're only likely to break stuff :D It looks like your Settings.php file has got broken. Just restore a backup of Settings.php and it will work again.

Austin61

[Unknown]

Austin61, I'm going to be utterly blunt.  I do not believe either of you (Homie as well) are qualified to run forums.  In the current situation, this causes and unneccessary strain on support.

If you feel that it is unfair of me to say this, I'm sorry... but not everyone has "what it takes" to be a webmaster.  You have to be able to follow simple instructions and respond fully and accurately.  You've made 50 posts here and I think that's enough for me to say that you are, at least here, not doing such.

-[Unknown]

Austin61

but to get better dont you have to keep trying over and over again until ya make it?

[Unknown]

But, I think you both need to work on some "core" stuff....

-[Unknown]

Fizzy

I think there's one very important point that needs to be made to any webmaster who is new to using boardmod or of installing mods manually.

Always, always - Make sure you have an untouched backup of the files you are modding. If the mod fails and your board crashes then at least you will have a clean set of files that you can quickly upload using ftp, overwriting the mod changes and therefore restoring the board to its original state.
I have had to do this many times over the years when introducing new mods from the developers. Always prepare for the worst. If the worst doesn't happen and the mod installs on first upload then count your blessings and thank the mod writer. If the mod doesn't work, copy the error messages you get, refer this info back to the mod developer and then restore your board to its original state prior to trying the mod.

Austin61,
I have learnt loads from listening to the experts both on YSE and SMF. If you follow their instructions to the letter they will always see you right, even if it takes a few attempts.
If your board has crashed totally and cannot be recovered (or you don't know how to recover it) then go back to your original SMF zip file, extract the new install files you changed when applying the mod and upload them to their rightful places in the directory and hopefully you should bring the board back up again.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - A.E.

dracomiconia2

As I told in other post, I am going to work with it... I am very interested in this mod, and in medals mod

Advertisement: