News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Allowing guests to see all Boards but not entering

Started by trenchteam, September 05, 2004, 11:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avinash4

Yeah, we really need this in 1.1. This method wont work for my RC2.
McMaster University's Largest Online Community
http://mac-central.com
Powered by SMF and Mambo

definitive

Hello is it possible to allow guests to see the first 250 chars of the topics and then a message "You must register to read the rest" ?

I am using 1.1 RC2

Thanks

L.G.S

Quote from: Avinash4 on January 25, 2006, 12:15:56 AM
Yeah, we really need this in 1.1. This method wont work for my RC2.

I have RC2 and it worked perfect.

Make sure you have 'Aloow guests to browse the boards' in features and options ticked
FREE and LIVE World Cup + Premier League football streams:

www.gamesandgoals.com

fiver

Quote from: definitive on February 12, 2006, 11:29:21 AM
Hello is it possible to allow guests to see the first 250 chars of the topics and then a message "You must register to read the rest" ?

I am using 1.1 RC2

Thanks

You can combine Read Topic Permission with MessagePreview Inline.

Demo: http://www.fivearts.net/rc2/index.php?board=1.0

definitive

Quote from: fivearts on February 13, 2006, 12:32:07 AM
Quote from: definitive on February 12, 2006, 11:29:21 AM

I am using 1.1 RC2

Thanks

You can combine Read Topic Permission with MessagePreview Inline.

Demo: http://www.fivearts.net/rc2/index.php?board=1.0

thanks, but this work when guest enters a board, no way when he enters a topic

md80forum

Got my package manager screaming when I tried to install the Read Topic Permission mod ...

Jan-Erik

bugsmi0

Now that I understand how to allow visitors to see boards without accessing

how would I set up just one board or category to remain hidden until user logs in ?

Dinagyang

what about to limit guest access by time or page views?

~dragonfly~

I've tried this mod and I'm getting an error.  I'm new to this and have read through this entire thread, but I'm not sure if I did it wrong, or there is another issue.  I'm using 1.1 RC2

In Sources/BoardIndex, I replaced

QuoteWHERE $user_info[query_see_board]

with

QuoteWHERE ($user_info[query_see_board]" . ($user_info['is_guest'] ? " OR b.ID_BOARD IN (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, 15)" : '') . ") .

That is on line 82.

The error message I get is

QuoteParse error: parse error, unexpected T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE, expecting T_STRING or T_VARIABLE or T_NUM_STRING in /Sources/BoardIndex.php on line 82

I also unchecked guest permission in each of the boards.  Any thoughts would be appreciated  :)

~dragonfly~

I read through the more recent posts in the thread and figured it out the one minor change I needed to make.  Its working for me now using RC2.   :)

mrandall131

There was a post from unknown, in response to me, pretty early on in the thread.  I put that code in, RC2 even, and I have no problems and the mod works great.

Here is the only change I made, in BoardIndex.php

You want to replace this:

WHERE $user_info[query_see_board]" . (empty($modSettings['countChildPosts']) ? "
AND b.childLevel <= 1" : ''), __FILE__, __LINE__);

With:

WHERE ($user_info[query_see_board]" . ($user_info['is_guest'] ? " OR b.ID_BOARD IN (12, 13, 27)" : ' OR b.ID_BOARD IN (12, 13, 27)') . ')' . (empty($modSettings['countChildPosts']) ? "

Just put your board number in both spots and you are all set, worked for me.

(This was from post 58)

BigPapaPorsche

Thanks to whoever started this thread and all who contributed within.  I need a little bit of help to complete this mod on my forums.  I am currently running 1.1rc2.  I have edited the Sources/Boardindex.php file with the suggested code.

WHERE ($user_info[query_see_board]" . ($user_info['is_guest'] ? " OR b.ID_BOARD IN (1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8)" : '') .')' . (empty($modSettings['countChildPosts']) ? "

After I did this smf shows all of the board id's specified within the WHERE statement to guests.  When they click on the link to see the topics within the board they are prompted for their username and password.  I would like them to be able to see the topic titles and promted for username and password when they click the link to enter a specific topic.  In other words I do not want guests to see the actual content of the site.  I know Uknown mentioned something about editing Sources/Messageindex.php but I was hoping someone could clarify this for me.  The string he suggested that needed editing has two appearences within the file.

I believe this is what Uknown suggested to be edited

1st apearence
// Load up the child boards.
                $result = db_query("
                        SELECT
                                b.ID_BOARD, b.ID_PARENT, b.name, b.description, b.numTopics, b.numPosts,
                                m.posterName, m.posterTime, m.subject, m.ID_MSG, m.ID_TOPIC,
                                IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS realName, ID_PARENT,
                                " . ($user_info['is_guest'] ? '1' : '(IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0) >= b.ID_MSG_UPDATED)') . " AS isRead,
                                IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MEMBER
                        FROM {$db_prefix}boards AS b
                                LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}messages AS m ON (m.ID_MSG = b.ID_LAST_MSG)
                                LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = m.ID_MEMBER)" . (!$user_info['is_guest'] ? "
                                LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD AND lb.ID_MEMBER = $ID_MEMBER)" : '') . "
                        WHERE " . (empty($modSettings['countChildPosts']) ? "b.ID_PARENT IN (" . implode(',', $theboards) . ")" : "childLevel > 0") . "
                                [color=red]AND $user_info[query_see_board]", __FILE__, __LINE__);[/color]
                $parent_map = array();
                while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result))

2nd apearence
// Aren't children wonderful things?
        $result = db_query("
                SELECT
                        b.ID_BOARD, b.name, b.description, b.numTopics, b.numPosts,
                        m.posterName, m.posterTime, m.subject, m.ID_MSG, m.ID_TOPIC,
                        IFNULL(mem.realName, m.posterName) AS realName, " . (!$user_info['is_guest'] ? "
                        (IFNULL(lb.ID_MSG, 0) >= b.ID_MSG_UPDATED) AS isRead," : "1 AS isRead,") . "
                        IFNULL(mem.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MEMBER, IFNULL(mem2.ID_MEMBER, 0) AS ID_MODERATOR,
                        mem2.realName AS modRealName
                FROM {$db_prefix}boards AS b
                        LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}messages AS m ON (m.ID_MSG = b.ID_LAST_MSG)
                        LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}members AS mem ON (mem.ID_MEMBER = m.ID_MEMBER)" . (!$user_info['is_guest'] ? "
                        LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}log_boards AS lb ON (lb.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD AND lb.ID_MEMBER = $ID_MEMBER)" : '') . "
                        LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}moderators AS mods ON (mods.ID_BOARD = b.ID_BOARD)
                        LEFT JOIN {$db_prefix}members AS mem2 ON (mem2.ID_MEMBER = mods.ID_MEMBER)
                WHERE b.ID_PARENT = $board
                        [color=red]AND $user_info[query_see_board]", __FILE__, __LINE__);[/color]
        if (mysql_num_rows($result) != 0)

I am not exactly sure of the code I should be editing them with or if either or both statments should be edited.  Can someone please clarify for me?

Thanks,
David

Avinash4

Quote from: ~dragonfly~ on March 04, 2006, 11:26:38 PM
I read through the more recent posts in the thread and figured it out the one minor change I needed to make.  Its working for me now using RC2.   :)

care to share?
McMaster University's Largest Online Community
http://mac-central.com