News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Introducing SMF 2.0

Started by Grudge, April 08, 2007, 10:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donavin410

So i upgraded my forum via fantasico that is offered by my web host. Now I get a database error. The web host wont offer a fix... Im out of idea's.

donavin410

see it here hxxp:whatsnyourhead.com/ [nonactive]

青山 素子

This isn't a support topic, please post in the support area.

General hit for anyone reading this: Never use Fantastico to upgrade your board, it doesn't work properly.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

wengwashere

SaltedWeb

Hey Guys Great news as always.
I see the moderation's is planned ( yippeee ).
IMHO it was the only thing missing to give the forum software
great control over content, have a moderation control will make the spammers
that are now ramp-id on a open posting forum held at the gate.
I am presuming the Moderation addition will allow any post to be moderated either
by guest or member???

Anyways thank you for all you do I am sure we all can not thank you enough.

I truly think SMF has no real clue how much ppl appreciate you all and your work, you make a huge difference
in how ppl communicate and use the Internet.
I would say that when 2.0 is released it will have the same impact that Windows did when it came with a
web browser. In-fact SMF is going to challenge big time the paid versions forum makers.

I wonder what they will do when you offer a better product for free.
and well PHPBB is still in the dark ages, I see it going the way of Netscape still a few hard core PHPBB
ppl
out there.

BUT.................................................... SMF RULES

Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

Kamaze

I don't know if someone posted it yet in this thread, but i would like to split the ACP from the forums theme. Means, the ACP is a own 'site' so that mods can integrate there easiely. That would  reduce the "New package management to integrate mods easiely in other themes than the default" at least for the ACP :)

Dannii

Very few themes will come with their own admin templates, so there shouldn't be any issues with the admin templates in other mods. Aside from the Theme Settings template, every theme I've seen should use the default admin templates.
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Nolt

Quote from: anunlike on April 12, 2007, 08:39:26 PM
Quote from: Motoko-chan on April 12, 2007, 08:17:34 PM
Quote from: anunlike on April 12, 2007, 07:57:46 PMThe software naturally advancing means it's like IPB... how? I don't see a connection.

IPB was free until version 2.0 was released (although 2.0.0 was up for about a week under an "unlimited trial" before the download was pulled). The only similarity I can see is that SMF will be having a 2.0 version, but that could be said of a lot of software (phpBB had a 2.0 too, as did Firefox, Gnome, Debian Linux, etc.)

Yes, exactly my point. ;) :)

I don't understand why anyone is comparing it to IPB, specifically in the sense that IPB went paid. Why, SMF happens to be forum software and the next version happens to be 2.0? Sorry, I don't see a connection. ;)

I dont compare it to <CENZORED> ^^, it was only a question :) Im glad to hear all those anserws. When will be first alpha released ? :P:P

Sarge

Quote from: Nolt on April 13, 2007, 02:54:01 AM
When will be first alpha released ? :P:P

Read the first post. ;)

Please do not PM me with support requests unless I invite you to.

http://www.zeriyt.com/   ~   http://www.galeriashqiptare.net/

<H> I had zero posts when I started posting

windu

--> Logic: The art of being wrong with confidence..

pushkin22

I wish for better search engine optimization, I think it's the biggest problem of smf yet

- Ryan -

SMF 2.0 is looking great. :) I'm pleased about the integration of a WYSIWYG editor, as I've had numerous requests from my members for such a feature.

Quote from: pushkin22 on April 13, 2007, 05:02:06 AM
I wish a better search engine optimization, I think it's a biggest problem of smf yet

I agree. Personally, I would have thought this would be the most important issue that SMF coders would have focused on for the next release, as I constantly see people talking about how SMF handles search engines here and elsewhere. Hopefully it gets sorted later! :)

godboko

I wish a better search engine optimization, I think it's a biggest problem of smf yet

As the first post and other posts after say not all features are being listed. So that could be something they are holding details about until later.

(No I don't know anything just thinking out loud or in text rather)
Thank you,
Robert aka godboko

Joshua Dickerson

I wish for better search engine optimization, I think it's the biggest problem of smf yet

Got any suggestions for making it better?
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Harro

I got one :p
Create dynamic meta tags for the topics and subforums.
You could use the board description as meta description, and divide the board name into keywords.
Same for topics.
Many of you will probably say it won't have much effect.
But I did notice that after doing it the descriptions in google were more accurate, and relavant to the topic that was indexed.
Before that every description was "Please log in or register"

Dannii

Quote from: Harro on April 13, 2007, 08:23:31 AMBefore that every description was "Please log in or register"
Were you doing a "site:yourdomain.com" or a real search?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Harro

site:yourdomain.com
I know it's not a real search and people probably won't find my site with that :P
But after doing those changes the descriptions did change.

Dannii

Good for you then, but from what I've been able to test with Google, a site:yourdomain.com is not a real search. As it has nothing to actually search for, the page excerpt is simply the first thing in the page. Real searches will come up with more meaningful excerpts.

Harro

True.
But having different meta tags for different pages is still a small SEO trick, and very easy to implement as well.

Matthew Schenker

Let me add my voice to those asking for a better search engine.
This is the biggest issue for my forum right now.  My members are thrilled with SMF generally, but the one thing they complain about is having difficulties doing searches.  Also, they are often confused about the various search methods built into SMF.
Thanks.

Advertisement: