News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

This is very surprising.  I have never heard of this kind of behavior before. Are there other mods installed, which might affect the order in which the boards are displayed? Maybe the different mods are not getting along somehow?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

rollingrock

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 08, 2011, 04:02:25 PM
This is very surprising.  I have never heard of this kind of behavior before. Are there other mods installed, which might affect the order in which the boards are displayed? Maybe the different mods are not getting along somehow?

All that is in stalled are the follow:
SMF Gallery Pro
Simple Portal
Tapatalk
YoutubeBBCode

Could it be that the tinyportal has left some files there?   

Angelina Belle

If the uninstall went properly (with no errors), there should not be any remains of tinyportal, except in the database.  So, even if it left behind some data related to reordering boards, it would not have left behind  its code to do it.  So this seems unlikely.

Can you give more information on exactly what way the board are reordered?  like a screenshot of the admin page showing how they are ordered there, and the index page, showing how they are ordered there?  This is very unusual.

Is tapatalk compatable with the portals? It doesn't display the portal page on the smart phones, does it?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

dsantana

Hello,
Any clues as to why the Shout Box keeps circling? Never refreshes but keeps going...
SMF 2.0 | VJB2.0 Custom Theme | Simple Portal 2.3.3

rollingrock

Here are the two screen shots you reqeusted on the board order.

as you can see, in the admin, they are in one order, in the portal they are in another.   

Very odd.   

As for Tapatalk, no you cannot see the portal, at least I don't think you can.  I will check it today.

Thanks for your help. 

RR

Angelina Belle

rollingrock -- that's not just a little different. Those categproes amd boards listed in the admin page. It looks like a completely different site. And you say that just turning off the portal fixes the problem?
[Welcome to the Cafe]
Read First, Rules of the Cafe
New to DC? Introduce Yourself
Have a Question About the Site?

[Auto Detailing 101]
Start Here

[The Cafe Detailing Help Desk]
Detailing Help

[Show of your recent Detail]
Cafe Detailing Gallery
Cafe Hall of Fame Detail Work
Website Photos

[General Category]
General Discussion
  Watch Cafe
  Gun Room
The Soap Box
Car/Truck Mod Talk
The Detailer's Cafe Events
Testing Area
Classic Car Photos and discussions

Angelina Belle

dsantana -- you are having some kind of AJAX problem, I think. Do you have any other AJAX-based mods installed?

dsantana

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 09, 2011, 11:42:20 AM
dsantana -- you are having some kind of AJAX problem, I think. Do you have any other AJAX-based mods installed?
Maybe the garage mod?
1.   Watermark.light    1.5                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   The Rules    1.3                                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Watermark.light for AEVA    1.5                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Join date in Posts    1.1                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   Admin Notepad    2.0.1                           [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   Ad Seller Pro    1.0.9                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   Users Online Today    1.5.6                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Share This Topic    3.0                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   SimplePortal    2.3.3                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   eBay BBCode    2.0                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   Aeva Media    2.10                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   SMF Garage    2.1                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   Order Custom Profile Fields    1.1                   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   Twitter and Facebook Publisher mod    2.8   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Simple .htaccess Proxy Blocker Mod    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   Google Analytics Code    1.4                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   Google Member Map    2.0.8                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   ENotify    2.0.1                                             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   Personal address BBCode    2.0             [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   Menu Order    0.2.6                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   Menu Buttons    1.1                                     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Smfsimple Google button +1    V1                   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
SMF 2.0 | VJB2.0 Custom Theme | Simple Portal 2.3.3

Angelina Belle

I am not familiar with the Garage mode.  You might try, on a fresh test forum, installing SimplePortal, seeing if you have the problem, and then trying the garage mod.  That should probably sort it out.  Unless it is another mod.  Or a really complicated 3-way problem.

I imagine it may be either:
1) Some kind of javascript issue
2) Some issue with how the forum deals with the XML request.

Any mods that mess with either of these things could mess with the shoutbox.
Or it could be something else.  I am not a dev, and I don't know the depths of SMF, or even of SimplePortal.
You might be able to trace it by sticking in a whole lot of logging statements (on a test forum, of course).

This kind of thing is going to be difficult to figure out, because it may not be the problem of one mod or another one, but some strange combination of two mods.

rollingrock

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 09, 2011, 11:41:38 AM
rollingrock -- that's not just a little different. Those categproes amd boards listed in the admin page. It looks like a completely different site. And you say that just turning off the portal fixes the problem?
[Welcome to the Cafe]
Read First, Rules of the Cafe
New to DC? Introduce Yourself
Have a Question About the Site?

[Auto Detailing 101]
Start Here

[The Cafe Detailing Help Desk]
Detailing Help

[Show of your recent Detail]
Cafe Detailing Gallery
Cafe Hall of Fame Detail Work
Website Photos

[General Category]
General Discussion
  Watch Cafe
  Gun Room
The Soap Box
Car/Truck Mod Talk
The Detailer's Cafe Events
Testing Area
Classic Car Photos and discussions

well, I haven't tried turning off the simpleportal to check it...want me to test that?

Angelina Belle

You say the problem started the moment you installed SimplePortal?
Perhaps shutting it off would make a difference.

Have you tried re-ordering the boards since they started appearing in the strange order?

rollingrock

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 09, 2011, 01:52:39 PM
You say the problem started the moment you installed SimplePortal?
Perhaps shutting it off would make a difference.

Have you tried re-ordering the boards since they started appearing in the strange order?

correct, we didn't see an issue until we installed the portal...could it be how we are using it?   Like the when boxes show up?   Integrated vs Portal vs everywhere?

dumb question but if I shut it off you mean uninstall?

RR

EDIT, ok, i disabled for a few min and sure enough the boards are out of order.  But in admin they show in order. 

EDIT #2....FIXED IT...all I did was change the order and move it back to 1st and presto, fixed even in portal mode.

WHoohoo!

Angelina Belle

SimplePortal should not be messing with the boardindex sort order at all.
So enabling/disabling, using integrated vs front page vs standalone, boxes on portal only or everywhere -- none of that OUGHT to make a difference.

I would suggest uninstalling it first. If the boards are still out of order, then it is not SimplePortal at all.
If the boards get better after an uninstall, then simpleportal must have SOMETHING to do with the problem.
Then, if unistalling fixes the problem, please try re-installing and fiddling with many different settings.

If the problem goes away when SimplePortal is uninstalled, then the problem COULD BE some weird side effect of (SimplePortal + another mod). Because SimplePortal has no way to reorder board index on its own.

rollingrock

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 09, 2011, 03:00:24 PM
SimplePortal should not be messing with the boardindex sort order at all.
So enabling/disabling, using integrated vs front page vs standalone, boxes on portal only or everywhere -- none of that OUGHT to make a difference.

I would suggest uninstalling it first. If the boards are still out of order, then it is not SimplePortal at all.
If the boards get better after an uninstall, then simpleportal must have SOMETHING to do with the problem.
Then, if unistalling fixes the problem, please try re-installing and fiddling with many different settings.

If the problem goes away when SimplePortal is uninstalled, then the problem COULD BE some weird side effect of (SimplePortal + another mod). Because SimplePortal has no way to reorder board index on its own.

Thanks for holding my hand with my questions...not sure if you saw my edits...but I fixed it by just changing it and changing it back. 

Thanks

RR

Angelina Belle

Just reordering the boards fixed the problem. That's a relief.
I would not even be able to guess what caused the problem in the first place, but I'm glad you fixed it.

andyac

Angelina Belle

rgecy

I recently upgraded my forum from 2.0RC2 to 2.0Gold.  I did not unistall SP before upgrading and tried to reinstall it after I upgrade and it gave me an error in converting the database.  (I think I mentioned it in an earlier post)  Now it shows Simple Portal as not being installed in package manager (still shows [install] on the list), but all the menus and portal page all work.

I was having an error with a new theme and wanted to unistall it, but it has no way to do it through package manager.  What files whould I delete and what edits need to be made?

Thanks,

Robert

Angelina Belle

Hmmm that's unusual. The package manager should not install the files if it didn't do the database portion of the install. 

The easiest thing, actually, might be to tell SMF that SimplePortal is actually installed. I have never done this myself. If I had to, I would ask on the SMF 2.0 support board "How to make SMF believe that a mod actually is installed".

Doing a manual un-install is much more work.  You go to the mod's page and look at the manual installation instructions for your version.  Then follow them all, backwards.  Preferably on a test copy of your forum, because, if you are like me, you WILL make a mistake or two. So it is easier to do the work on a test copy of the forum, and copy the files to your real form afterwards.

rollingrock

AngelinaBelle

I have a new one for you.   when someone is looking at their gallery photos, the right slide blocks act very strange.

Attached is a screen shot.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks

RR

Advertisement: