News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

SimplePortal

Started by SimplePortal Team, March 10, 2008, 11:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelina Belle

The image has spilled out of the sp_center "box" it is supposed to be in. It is above the sp_right background, but below the words. Which gallery mod are you using? How does it figure out how wide to display the photo? The issue is possibly related to a feature of simpleportal.  It tries to accomodate some strange browser behavior by setting the width of the table column sp_center to 100%. This works for most browsers most of the time, even though it is not strictly correct. If sp_left is 200px and sp_right is 200px, then sp_center cannot possibly be 100%. You can try, in portal.css, #sp_center { width: 100%; vertical-align: top; } actually removing the line with the width MIGHT make a difference. It is worth a shot, in any case. Which gallery are you using?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

rollingrock

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 16, 2011, 10:15:10 AM
The image has spilled out of the sp_center "box" it is supposed to be in. It is above the sp_right background, but below the words. Which gallery mod are you using? How does it figure out how wide to display the photo? The issue is possibly related to a feature of simpleportal.  It tries to accomodate some strange browser behavior by setting the width of the table column sp_center to 100%. This works for most browsers most of the time, even though it is not strictly correct. If sp_left is 200px and sp_right is 200px, then sp_center cannot possibly be 100%. You can try, in portal.css, #sp_center { width: 100%; vertical-align: top; } actually removing the line with the width MIGHT make a difference. It is worth a shot, in any case. Which gallery are you using?

Thanks, I am running SMF Gallery Pro, and one of my back up admins did change the right side width.  Could that have done it?

My max setting on the gallery is 800x800 but my max display is 640x640

rollingrock

think there is a conversion to another portal to where I don't loose what I have?

Angelina Belle

I can see (IE developer's toolkit or FireFox firebug plugin makes this easy) that sp_left is 200, sp_right is 225. This change would not have made much difference in that behavior, though you can try fiddling with it.

I don't know much about how SMF Gallery does things, and I cannot see your gallery.
SMF Gallery may have been designed with a minimum size for the image, with a wider window in mind. I do not know.
There may be some minor incompatabilities. You may be able to settle it all in CSS.
SMF Gallery's author may be willing to work with you on ways you can fiddle with SMF Gallery. And you can always ask here or at simpleportal.net for advice on how to fiddle with the portal.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. -- Hanlon's Razor

Angelina Belle

rollingrock,

As far as I know, none of the portals offer conversions, though I think they all offer "recent posts" type of blocks. I think the best way to find out which portal is the best for you is to make a test copy of your forum (complete with a test copy of the database and your gallery files), and install the gallery and whichever database you want to test.  You'll know more within a couple of hours.

JFlame

I am running SimplePortal 2.3.2 (need to upgrade, I know).  I use the "Recent Topics" block on my home page set to show Topics, not posts.

What I'm seeing is that sometimes, no matter what I set the "Number of topics to display" parameter to, the list will shrink to a number less than the setting.  I am looking into why this is now by analyzing the code and queries, but it is eluding me so I want to see if anybody is familiar with this issue. 

So basically I set the number of topics to be 40, and on some days it might show 40, then maybe 35, 25, 39, 40, etc.  There is some other variable that I can't quite put my finger on, it's either a time variable that is affecting the data returned or something else. 
www.YamahaSuperTenere.com - Yamaha Super Tenere Motorcycle Forum

JFlame

Quote from: JFlame on August 17, 2011, 03:37:53 PM
I am running SimplePortal 2.3.2 (need to upgrade, I know).  I use the "Recent Topics" block on my home page set to show Topics, not posts.

What I'm seeing is that sometimes, no matter what I set the "Number of topics to display" parameter to, the list will shrink to a number less than the setting.  I am looking into why this is now by analyzing the code and queries, but it is eluding me so I want to see if anybody is familiar with this issue. 

So basically I set the number of topics to be 40, and on some days it might show 40, then maybe 35, 25, 39, 40, etc.  There is some other variable that I can't quite put my finger on, it's either a time variable that is affecting the data returned or something else.

Figured this out.  The following line is the offender in SSI.php:

'min_message_id' => $modSettings['maxMsgID'] - 35 * min($num_recent, 5),

The issue is that the calculation always defaults to 35*5 = 140, which means the system is only considering the last 140 posts when it's bringing back the list of "Recent Topics."  I changed that to this:

'min_message_id' => $modSettings['maxMsgID'] - 10000,

10000 for me is roughly two months of posts at my current rate, bigger boards would need a bigger number.  I imagine this was built in due to performance reasons to limit the number of records the query was considering.  I don't see much of a difference yet, but my tables are still pretty small.

YMMV.

Angelina Belle

Does that block draw from all boards, or from only some of the boards?

JFlame

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 17, 2011, 06:44:58 PM
Does that block draw from all boards, or from only some of the boards?

It's configurable for any number of boards.  I'm personally using multiple recent topics blocks, each configured for different boards.  This is probably why the issue was bothering me, because some of the blocks are for less often used boards, and they were coming up completely empty even though there were posts within the last day or so.  Very annoying.  I imagine the folks who use this as a single block across all boards won't run into this issue.

Shadow Queen

How good of this portal work? Is TIny Portal better?

I am just asking.

Angelina Belle

JFlame,

This is exactly the reason for the problem. You can fix this problem by making a change or two in SSI.php.
In ssi_recentPosts, and in ssi_recentTopics, you'll see:
($modSettings['maxMsgID'] - 35 * min($num_recent, 5))

Change that 35 to something larger. Just how large will depend on how busy the rest of your forum is compared to the boards in your block. You might need a 50, or even 100 to get what you need here.

JFlame

Quote from: AngelinaBelle on August 18, 2011, 08:49:52 AM
JFlame,

This is exactly the reason for the problem. You can fix this problem by making a change or two in SSI.php.
In ssi_recentPosts, and in ssi_recentTopics, you'll see:
($modSettings['maxMsgID'] - 35 * min($num_recent, 5))

Change that 35 to something larger. Just how large will depend on how busy the rest of your forum is compared to the boards in your block. You might need a 50, or even 100 to get what you need here.

Beat ya on that by about 14 hours as evidenced in my above post.  ;D  Thanks for checking though, I may need the extra help next time.   ;)

Angelina Belle

Don't know how I missed that! glad you figured it out!

rollingrock

Ok, new issue

On my home imac my site looks fine while using photos looking at threads.

On many users laptops they are telling them they have a scroll bar on threads with photos.   I have confirmed this on my work lap top so what I did was not allow right side blocks to show but that didn't fix it.  Seems the sight may not be auto fitting to the screen.  Is that even a setting?

rgecy

Any idea why this is happening?  Its not just in Simple Portal, but also in My Download mod by vbgamer.  But does not happen anywhere else in the forum.

Thanks

RGecy

TheListener

Quote from: rollingrock on August 19, 2011, 10:20:24 PM
Ok, new issue

On my home imac my site looks fine while using photos looking at threads.

On many users laptops they are telling them they have a scroll bar on threads with photos.   I have confirmed this on my work lap top so what I did was not allow right side blocks to show but that didn't fix it.  Seems the sight may not be auto fitting to the screen.  Is that even a setting?

May depend if a members laptop has a widescreen or not.

TheListener

Quote from: rgecy on August 19, 2011, 11:00:25 PM
Any idea why this is happening?  Its not just in Simple Portal, but also in My Download mod by vbgamer.  But does not happen anywhere else in the forum.

Thanks

RGecy

You obviously haven't searched anywhere for the way to solve this.

The error can be corrected by adding the portal.css into your forums theme.

TheListener

Quote from: Shadow Queen on August 17, 2011, 10:05:44 PM
How good of this portal work? Is TIny Portal better?

I am just asking.

I prefer the way this portal looks compared to TP.

Angelina Belle

rgecy,
Brack1 is correct. copying portal.css to each of your custom theme's CSS directory will fix the problem.
This is not a scrollbar. It is caused by using a part of the default theme's main_block.png instead of the one that comes with your custom theme for the left side of your title bar.

rgecy

Thank you.  It did work! 

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement: