Images On Board

Started by Bulakbol, June 23, 2008, 05:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandmannd

RPro1975

Great, thank you so much.  Now I've got this problem though.  I can't seem to get at the files for the current theme I am using.  the other themes I have installed I can get to their files, but the one I am actually using, I can't find how you get into the files to do the edits??? It seems like I can finsd the other ones fine, but I'm using the default theme, and there are no files when you try to to bring them up.  There are files for the Babylon, and the other Yabb I think it is, but not this one.  I'm stumped. This might be the biggest challenge I've ever had in my lifr (I'm exagerrating-LOL)  I need help, as usual!!!! 
RPro's Roulette Forum - www.rprosrouletteforum.com

Bulakbol

@sandmannd
I'll get back to you on this one. Have to try it first.

@RPro1975
SMF does not want you to edit the default theme templates. You need FTP program to download or edit them.
How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

RPro1975

Quote from: Bulakbol on June 03, 2009, 01:58:20 AM
@sandmannd
I'll get back to you on this one. Have to try it first.

@RPro1975
SMF does not want you to edit the default theme templates. You need FTP program to download or edit them.
How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?

Ok, so if I'm understanding this right, here's what I need to do:

1.  download and install FTP software
2.  download the SMF files I need(basically download all the files from the theme I am using)
3.  open the SMF files and make the edits you gave me
4.  make sure I am entering all of the info correctly when I insert the picture

Is that it, in a nutshell?  You'll have to bear with me, I'm newer than an infant at this!  Thank you for your time, patience, and valuable information.

Chris

RPro1975

I downloaded and installed Filezilla(FTP)  today.  What should be my next step to get closer to accomplishing this?

sandmannd

Quote from: RPro1975 on June 03, 2009, 09:05:04 PM
I downloaded and installed Filezilla(FTP)  today.  What should be my next step to get closer to accomplishing this?

Are you able to FTP to your site? If not, that's your next step. Once you have that connection made you can transfer files back and forth between your PC and your Website.

RPro1975

Quote from: sandmannd on June 03, 2009, 10:10:48 PM
Quote from: RPro1975 on June 03, 2009, 09:05:04 PM

Are you able to FTP to your site? If not, that's your next step. Once you have that connection made you can transfer files back and forth between your PC and your Website.
Great, and how would I go about getting that done?  I'll be the first to admit I don't know much, but I'm learning awfully fast!

RPro1975

What I really need is someone to give me step by step instructions.  I need to get the following done:

1.Access the default theme v.1.1.9 files which seem inaccessible from the admin panel(I was told because SMF does not want you to make changes to them)

2.  Configure Filezilla to operate with my website(download the theme files to my pc so I can work on them, then save them to my SMF forum files-I think???)

3.  Download and edit the proper files (I already have the edits, just need to cut & paste them in)

I know what I have to do from there.  I someone would be kind enough to shoot me an e-mail with some step by step instructions, that would be greatly appreciated.  My address is:  [email protected]

Thank you so much for all of the help you all have given me so far.  I have a lot to learn, but I need to learn by doing.  I can do that but I want the proper instructions so I don't really screw something up and then be in a real bad bind!

C4G-TK

Every mod that you add pretty much makes some kind of edit to the default theme.  SMF doesn't want you to take off the copyright info from the program, but edits are allowed.

Looks like you are using Firefox, so try looking for the add-on FireFTP.  I use that to FTP my files from my computer to the server.   ;)

-img removed-

RPro1975

Quote from: C4G-TK on June 04, 2009, 04:48:00 PM
Every mod that you add pretty much makes some kind of edit to the default theme.  SMF doesn't want you to take off the copyright info from the program, but edits are allowed.

Looks like you are using Firefox, so try looking for the add-on FireFTP.  I use that to FTP my files from my computer to the server.   ;)
Yes, I've added mods, but never had to do manual edits.  Now that I have to do one, I noticed there is no way to pull up the files from the admin panel like you can with the other themes.  So, I was told I need FTP, which I have.  I downloaded Filezilla, not Firefox.  I need to know how to have access to the files in the dfault theme so I can make the edits necessary for the mod to work properly.  Basically, I have never used an FTP, so I really don't know what I'm doing here.

C4G-TK

I'm not familiar with Firezilla.  But, if you need a program to edit your files, Notepad++ is great (and free)! 

http://download.cnet.com/Notepad/3000-2352_4-10327521.html?tag=mncol

-img removed-

Bulakbol

@RPro1975
Sorry to interrup guys. Please post your issue in the support board for help. More people can help you there.
Please do not PM me for support · My Mods and Theme · SMF Coding Guidelines · Modifications Approval Guidelines

W7 riso

Hi your Mod looks great there is only one prob. it won't work! I get this error:
Execute Modification ./Sources/MessageIndex.php Test failed
Is this a common problem? or is the Mod not suitable for Smf 1.1.9 ?
I'm trying to use it at
[link removed by K@]

Tnx in advance!
riso

Bulakbol

@W7 riso
It is acutally only couple of edits required. You should have done it yourself. :)
Attached is your MessageIndex.php. Upload the file before you install this mod. Let me know if you encounter any more failed test problem.

ngoclanbaby86

Yeah ! nice mod . i'm using it on my site. it work verry good.  everybody can check it here. now using version SMF 1.1.9

W7 riso

Hi,
Tnx a Million! it works..

1. Execute Code ImagesOnBoardDB115.php 
2. Execute Modification ./index.php Test successful
3. Execute Modification ./Sources/Subs-Boards.php Test successful
4. Execute Modification ./Sources/MessageIndex.php Test successful
At my W7 Forum it works fine
P.s: I wished I could do the change by myself but I'm just to unknown with Smf programming..I was looking with PHP editor at the W7 messageindex file and saw some dif. between the original and a changed file at line 159, 430, 431,460 etc. but to me it's still ''Chinese'' 

>
I just did a checkup at my second Forum (W8 forum) and the file has a dif. size so if you would help me out with this last one, tnx in advance!
www.windows8newsinfo.com/smf

Attached W8 newsinfo Forum messageindexfile

Bulakbol

@ngoclanbaby86
Your forum is nice. Thanks for using/trying this mod.

@W7 riso
Try the attached MessageIndex.php. It is edited but use it before installing this mod.

RPro1975

Why do I need a url for the image?  Can I just use an image I have saved?  Does it have to be an outside image?  The mod installed correctly with no problems so I don't think it needs a manual edit.  I just think I am entering the info wrong or don't know how to get the image entered in right.  How do you do it?  All I get when I enter the filename is a box with a little red "x" and the name of the board in it but no picture.

Mraza

thanks for this great Mod...is there any images available to use with this mod..as some people are not designer so they can use ready images to upload..thanks for any help  :)
Signature:
Old Software Engineers Never Dies, They Just Log Out...
! ! ! ! ! 5 Best Movies Thread ! ! ! ! !

C4G-TK

Quote from: RPro1975 on June 11, 2009, 02:37:06 PM
Why do I need a url for the image?  Can I just use an image I have saved?  Does it have to be an outside image?  The mod installed correctly with no problems so I don't think it needs a manual edit.  I just think I am entering the info wrong or don't know how to get the image entered in right.  How do you do it?  All I get when I enter the filename is a box with a little red "x" and the name of the board in it but no picture.

Did you FTP the image to the ImagesOnBoard folder in the theme?  The image needs to be uploaded to the ImagesOnBoard directory in order for it to pull that image to be displayed.  Also, be sure you typed in the image name correctly (complete with the .gif, .png, etc etc extension)

-img removed-

Advertisement: