News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Theme] Simplicity (SMF v1.0.5 - 1.1RC2)

Started by bloc, January 23, 2005, 12:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

Quote from: dennis on January 30, 2005, 10:36:39 PM
Hi Bloc,

I can't say enough how much I like this theme. One thing that I really wish to have is the collapsible option for the Board Categories.

If you don't think it is a good idea to have it in there, how about give me some hints on which file I should change to have this feature. Through some difficult trial and errors, I may get it right.

Thanks,
Dennis

Initally I don't feel its needed there...I mean the boards/categories are just maybe 2 lines now, as opposed to several boxes in default theme. But I can surely find the code you need for it be there , it will be just one file that needs changing. I will post it as soon as I have tested it.

bloc

Quote from: destalk on January 31, 2005, 01:44:25 AM
I suppose the other thing that I would like to switch off is the 'Quick Jump' menu on the left, as some of my titles are really long and it makes the let hand side column huge, when viewing a list of posts. It's not a problem when it's just at the bottom of the page, in the middle (such as when actually reading a thread).

Also (unless I'm missing something), on long threads that go onto several pages (e.g. Read 2587 times) [1] 2 3 etc) the page list only appears at the top of the page. Is there any way to have this at the bottom also?

Sorry, to still be whinging. ;D

yes...that jumpbox.. :) Originally I had the box just shrinked to a width that fits( it will show all titles in full width when you press it anyway) the left bar , but after comments on that it wont show the title in full width(..) I changed it. It really should go in the middle anyway I think. I will see what I can do. I feel its good to have it in the theme.

Having number of pages on top and bottom in just the Display could be done.

destalk

QuoteI should think so..make sure its a real php file and just include, or require it. Do you need any help on that?

Cool. I went ahead anyway - so I answered my own question, but thanks as ever.

QuoteNot yet automatically..but I will update it with a choice of setting the default color, and which should be visible. And of course not show the changer at all.

QuoteI dont mind if you change the graphics up there..its your call. If you adjust it a lot, I will suggest adding your name to "Simplicity design by Bloc" with "modified by destalk" or something...its not important though.

LOL. I'm really not going to change it much (haven't got the technical skills), just stick my 'branding' on the top and change a few icons possibly. If I did too much to it, I would end up having to put "trashed by Destalk" after it. ::)

I do have a related question though. What do I have to do to get rid of the large heading with the forum name (in 40pixels) at the top and also the "Simple Machines Forum" text underneath it. The reason I ask, is because I was hoping to include this in header.php and it begins to get a bit overused.

Cheers.

destalk

Quoteyes...that jumpbox..  Originally I had the box just shrinked to a width that fits( it will show all titles in full width when you press it anyway) the left bar , but after comments on that it wont show the title in full width(..) I changed it. It really should go in the middle anyway I think. I will see what I can do. I feel its good to have it in the theme.

You just can't please all of the people all of the time. ;)  Sorry, I didn't realise this had already been gone through. I agree that the jumpbox is very useful in there. Is there any easy way for me to edit it so that it shrinks to fit?

QuoteHaving number of pages on top and bottom in just the Display could be done.

Actually, from a usability point of view it, that would be number 1 in my list of requests.

I'll shut up for a bit now. You see what happens when you produce something good? People just want it to be even better.  ;D

bloc

True. :) I see it as a sign of people liking it. Which is good.. ;D

The Display - number of pages I will add, likewise the color changer options. As for removing the header, look in this thread, homeslice asked for same thing. It should be relative clear where things are removed. Just compare the files.

For setting a set size on the jumpbox i will post the required changes  in a minute.

bloc

Hi Bloc,

I can't say enough how much I like this theme. One thing that I really wish to have is the collapsible option for the Board Categories.

I think it looks good in fact..so its going in the archive. :) If you need the changes right away( i will update the theme with more changes in one swoop later on) do this:

- open up BoardIndex.template.php
- find this block of code:
       foreach ($context['categories'] as $category)
        {

- add this code after that, on a new line:
             if ($category['can_collapse'])
                        echo '
                        <a href="', $category['collapse_href'], '">', $category['collapse_image'], '</a> ';

If you want to see it first, its up on Bloczone right now. You have to be logged in there though, since only members can change the collapsing..

bloc

destalk, this has to be changed for the jumpbox to have a set size that wont expand the leftbar on long names:

- open up MessageIndex.template.php
- find this code:
        theme_show_buttons();
        echo '<br />';
        echo '<span style="font-size: 18px;letter-spacing:-1px;color: #b0b0b0;"><b>'.$txt['SIMPLE_Tools15'].'</b></span><span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px;letter-spacing:-1px; color: #000000;"><b>'.$txt['SIMPLE_Tools16'].'</span></b><br />';
        echo '                               <form action="', $scripturl, '" method="get" name="jumptoForm" style="margin-top: 4px;">
                                                 <select name="jumpto" id="jumpto" onchange="if (this.options[this.selectedIndex].value) window.location.href=\'', $scripturl, '\' + this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">

- in the <select name="jumpto"...  line there, just add the change down below:

<select style="width: 130px;" name="jumpto"

The style="width: 130px;" statement sets the fixed width. Use your own width if you wish.

CarLBanks

Quote from: Bloc on January 31, 2005, 05:51:34 AM
Hi Bloc,

I think it looks good in fact..so its going in the archive. :) If you need the changes right away( i will update the theme with more changes in one swoop later on) do this:

- open up BoardIndex.template.php
- find this block of code:
foreach ($context['categories'] as $category)
{

- add this code after that, on a new line:
if ($category['can_collapse'])
echo '
<a href="', $category['collapse_href'], '">', $category['collapse_image'], '</a> ';

If you want to see it first, its up on Bloczone right now. You have to be logged in there though, since only members can change the collapsing..

Doing this it gives me a template parse error.

bloc

It should work...but use the archive again in first post. It has been updated with these things:

-  Collapsable categories yet again. ;)
-  In admin section : "current theme settings" you can choose the default colorset, and optionally hide the color-changer.
-  pages index in Display has been put both at top and bottom of the thread.
-  width of forum has been set to 95% default instead of 80%. And of course one can still put in any width in both percent and pixels in admin/current theme settings..

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. :)

destalk

Quote from: Bloc on January 31, 2005, 06:01:06 AM
destalk, this has to be changed for the jumpbox to have a set size that wont expand the leftbar on long names:

- open up MessageIndex.template.php
- find this code:
        theme_show_buttons();
        echo '<br />';
        echo '<span style="font-size: 18px;letter-spacing:-1px;color: #b0b0b0;"><b>'.$txt['SIMPLE_Tools15'].'</b></span><span style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px;letter-spacing:-1px; color: #000000;"><b>'.$txt['SIMPLE_Tools16'].'</span></b><br />';
        echo '                               <form action="', $scripturl, '" method="get" name="jumptoForm" style="margin-top: 4px;">
                                                 <select name="jumpto" id="jumpto" onchange="if (this.options[this.selectedIndex].value) window.location.href=\'', $scripturl, '\' + this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">

- in the <select name="jumpto"...  line there, just add the change down below:

<select style="width: 130px;" name="jumpto"

The style="width: 130px;" statement sets the fixed width. Use your own width if you wish.

All done. Thanks again.

CarLBanks

So visited links colors will be staying in the archive?

Edit: I uploaded the archive yet categories still aren't collapsable.

CarLBanks

Quote from: Bloc on January 31, 2005, 02:53:10 PM
Yes.

Ok, and the only reason I dislike the visited links color and have taken it out is that it turns every link blue after a while. The nagivation links, the board links, profile links and others.

Alisha

Quote from: CarLBanks on January 31, 2005, 02:57:03 PM
Yes.

Ok, and the only reason I dislike the visited links color and have taken it out is that it turns every link blue after a while. The nagivation links, the board links, profile links and others.

Could you not just go into the CSS and change the VLink color to #XXXXX same as the link color?? This way they will never change. 

CarLBanks

Quote from: Alisha on January 31, 2005, 03:09:05 PM
Quote from: CarLBanks on January 31, 2005, 02:57:03 PM
Yes.

Could you not just go into the CSS and change the VLink color to #XXXXX same as the link color?? This way they will never change.

I did, I was merely giving feedback and hope my feedback didn't sound rude.

dennis

Quote from: Bloc on January 31, 2005, 11:52:21 AM
It should work...but use the archive again in first post. It has been updated with these things:

-  Collapsable categories yet again. ;)
-  In admin section : "current theme settings" you can choose the default colorset, and optionally hide the color-changer.
-  pages index in Display has been put both at top and bottom of the thread.
-  width of forum has been set to 95% default instead of 80%. And of course one can still put in any width in both percent and pixels in admin/current theme settings..

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. :)

Very good Bloc.  I just applied your updated version.  I like that Collapsible feature very much.

But I just discovered an issue.  In my SMF, I have the mod of Member Map.  When the Member Map is displayed, the map takes the whole main body section, and it kicks the right column of the UserTools and other stuffs to the bottom, below the map.  Can you somehow adjust the index.template.php file to avoid this problem?

Thanks,
Dennis

bloc

Not in index.template.php, I assume the membermap has its own template? That one has to be copied over to Simplicity folder and changed slightly to avoid that then.

You see..in order to have a leftbar with different content I have used an open <td> that gets defined in all the subtemplates (boardindex,messageindex etc) - one for leftbar, and one for content in the middle. The right bar is then defined in index.template.php again. So in some sub-templates the leftbar (my leftbar) is not there (like in admin or search), and in others it is.

If the sub-temp.. hasn't got this, it will simply wrap things under each other because of missing <td>'s.

dennis

Quote from: Bloc on January 31, 2005, 06:50:55 PM
Not in index.template.php, I assume the membermap has its own template? That one has to be copied over to Simplicity folder and changed slightly to avoid that then.

You see..in order to have a leftbar with different content I have used an open <td> that gets defined in all the subtemplates (boardindex,messageindex etc) - one for leftbar, and one for content in the middle. The right bar is then defined in index.template.php again. So in some sub-templates the leftbar (my leftbar) is not there (like in admin or search), and in others it is.

If the sub-temp.. hasn't got this, it will simply wrap things under each other because of missing <td>'s.

I have tried out quite a few other themes, and they don't have this issue.  I'm not saying that you're doing it wrong, but you should double check to see how to over come this issue.

Beside that I just run into another issue.  When I took a look in the admin error log, I see that I have 7 pages of this error:

8: Undefined index: color_change_off
File: /home/mysite/public_html/forum/Themes/simplicity/BoardIndex.template.php (eval?)
Line: 232

File: /home/mysite/public_html/forum/Themes/simplicity/Display.template.php (eval?)

File: /home/mysite/public_html/forum/Themes/default/languages/Who.english.php (eval?)

Thanks and keep up the good work :)
Dennis

bloc

Thank for the heads up on errors, I will fix that.

As i explained, other themes follow the default theme example, but this one explores the possibilities of the theme engine. It may not be the ultimate solution in putting different content on the left side , but thats what I came up with when I made this. Any mod that has templates will have to be converted, but thats the beauty of this system as well - custom templates(which will be put in the default theme folder) can be copied to several themes, and adjusted to each individual theme if that requires some particular changes in the custom template code.

EDIT:
Updated archive to remove errors in forum error log.

Let me know if it still produce errors. My own is fine at the moment though.

destalk

Hi

I'm just testing everything and doing my best to break it. ;)

I have set a fixed width of 740px for my forum. When I reply to a post, it (the reply box and subject header?) pushes everything wide left and right. I assume this can be adjusted in index.template.php somewhere... or am I missing something simpler?

Just talking to myself

<---EDIT--->

Also, is it intentional that 'Inline Links' is the only option displayed, regardless of whether the box is checked?

Anway, these are all minor points in an otherwise outstanding theme (much more than a theme, quite frankly). It's also a testament to SMS. I feel guilty that I ever even considered vBulletin.  ;D I'm hopefully going to go live with this on my site later today.

Thanks again, Bloc - you've even put the Guardian to shame.

Advertisement: