Force Topic Read on Login

Started by SMFHacks.com Team, August 28, 2008, 05:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonGiovanni

It will be great if the new version will have a welcome message like "We think that this topic is important to you" and then redirect. Because it's confusing for members who login and suddenly come into some topic that was not his choice :D

But mod is really great. Nice job.

JW21

Hmmmm, this mod doesn't work for me. I don't get any errors or anything so it seems like it should work. I even went through the manual installation instructions to make sure everything was there. It's all there where it should be but it doesn't redirect or anything. I am using a forum that is 1.1.5. I do have it enabled. I did copy the numbers from the post I wanted to redirect to.

Is there anything else I could try to see what went wrong?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

How can i direct the users to the announcements ?

Eliana Tamerin

Quote from: DonGiovanni on August 29, 2008, 12:57:13 PM
It will be great if the new version will have a welcome message like "We think that this topic is important to you" and then redirect. Because it's confusing for members who login and suddenly come into some topic that was not his choice :D

But mod is really great. Nice job.

I'll add that to the features list.

Quote from: JW21 on August 29, 2008, 01:49:20 PM
Hmmmm, this mod doesn't work for me. I don't get any errors or anything so it seems like it should work. I even went through the manual installation instructions to make sure everything was there. It's all there where it should be but it doesn't redirect or anything. I am using a forum that is 1.1.5. I do have it enabled. I did copy the numbers from the post I wanted to redirect to.

Is there anything else I could try to see what went wrong?

Are you testing on non-admin users? Admins don't get redirected.

Quote from: F.L.A.M.E.R on August 29, 2008, 02:56:52 PM
How can i direct the users to the announcements ?

What announcements? SMF doesn't have an announcements feature. Are you talking about a specific board where you post announcements? Because this mod doesn't redirect to a specific board yet.
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

nah.. the global announcements mod is there in smf.... can you do something to merge up with that ? i mean the announcements are kind of more important where the users are normally to be redirected.. you can have a look over the global announcements mod here:- http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=419

Possible ?

Kimmie

Quote from: [SiNaN] on August 28, 2008, 09:17:14 PM
Are you sure about the topic IDs?

Yes - however, even if I put in an incorrect number, whatever topic that that number is accociated with, it "should" redirect this account because this is a new account I just made for the specific purpose of testing out this mod. I tried a total of 5 different topic numbers now and this account doesnt get redirected to any of them.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 28, 2008, 09:18:32 PM
@Kimmie
Did you have the mod enabled?

and - yes

and just to elaborate:

1. This test account is NOT in a staff group. They are in the regular member group. Even so, there is no setting to exclude any specific groups so even if this member was in a staff group, if that topic is unread to them, it should redirect them as well - right?
2. This topic is accessible to that group. Its the Rules topic - its available to "everyone"

It just simply does not work. The only thing I can figure is that since the first thing folks see when they log in is the TP page, that has something to do with it. Either that or there is something more we are supposed to be doing other than checking the box to enable it and putting the topic number in.

4b11l

Sounds like an excellent mod. Any chance of having them separated between two instances?

#1, only for new member registrations. That way, the idea of redirecting them to the rules makes a lot more sense not having to worry about cookies and what not.

#2, for all members like the way it currently is.

Eliana Tamerin

Kimmie, what other mods do you have installed, just in case it's not a TP issue. I'll check out TP and SP and ensure they don't conflict with my mod.

And Flamer, at this time I don't intend to support redirection to multiple topics. Since the Global Announcements mod does this, I don't think I'm going to integrate my mod with it. The mod will continue to redirect users to only one (1) topic of your choosing. And since announcements are at the top of every forum, you shouldn't have a problem with getting people to read them.

4b11l, interesting idea. I'll put it down on the future features list.

Download | Docs

Impsat-1

Wowww!!!... Excelent MOD, Fine Work in a First Try... Thanks Eliana, Regards 8).-
Vive Cáda Momento De Tu Vida Como Si Fueras a Irte Mañana, Más Planificala Cómo Si Jamás Fueras a Irte ;).-

Daggers

Unfortunately this mod does not work for me either :(

I dont use TP either. I have tried with a test account on several topics but without any success

digit

Very cool and useful mod.  Thanks!

I was wondering if I could redirect to a custom action rather than a post.

I thought I could just change....

redirectexit('topic=' . $topic . '.0');

to...

redirectexit('action=' . $topic . '');

and enter my custom action name instead of the topic ID...  but then I noticed..

$topic = (int) $modSettings['force_read_topic_id'];

Could I just remove the (int) ?

Thanks in advance.
Happily using a heavily modified 1.1.16 version of SMF!

2748011 Posts in 320998 Topics by 50986 Members

SOLD my website - thanks it was a good run - they converted to vbadvanced. (and screwed it up good!)

[SiNaN]

Kimmie or Daggers:

Can one of you provide me an admin account via pm to check it?

digit:

That won't work. Maybe you can add a new setting to Mod Settings and do it like:

redirectexit('topic=' $topic '.' $modSettings['force_read_topic_msg_id']);
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Daggers

I can create an admin account...

Before I do... if a user is signed in 'forever' and the next time they visit the forum are they taken to the assigned topic, or do they HAVE to be logged out and then logged back in to be taken to the topic?

Eliana Tamerin

Digit
That won't work, because the field in ModSettings is also an int. I could add redirection to an action as well if you needed, it's possible.

Daggers
I'm pretty sure it checks sessions, but I'll test it.

To all that are experiencing problems, can you PM me the following:
A link to your forum
A test admin account
A test nonadmin account

Download | Docs

Daggers

Eliana Tamerin

Daggers, the redirection works for me on your forum. You have all the settings correct and I was redirected to your topic properly on login. For both accounts. I don't see the problem.

Download | Docs

Daggers

Thanks for that.

It might have something to do with trying this with test accounts from the same machine

Eliana Tamerin

Just ensure those accounts have not yet read the topics. ;)

Download | Docs

Kimmie

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on August 30, 2008, 06:10:03 AM

Daggers
I'm pretty sure it checks sessions, but I'll test it.

I finally figured out what the problem is - it wouldnt redirect my test account because it checks cookies (found that out as soon as I cleaned mine out). It also even redirects admins cuz it redirected me right after I cleared out my cookies. Basically this mod will only be useful in redirecting new members because most folks dont know to clean out their cookies on a regular basis..lol.

My only wory is, since its cookie based, will a member get redirected "every" time they clean out their cookies. (Ive been redirected twice already)

Advertisement: