[BETA] Enhanced Custom Help Pages 1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.8.2a (Now whit RC1 support)

Started by Marcus Forsberg, October 26, 2008, 11:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken.

That would be great, the default pages are useful to some members. :)
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

iain sherriff

Quote from: iain sherriff on November 12, 2008, 08:53:41 AM
if i open the xml file I see this.........

when I try to use package manager the page just returns to the "packages" page instead of loading the mod

I reinstalled 1.1.6, added ECHP then updated to 1.1.7 and it was OK.
just as a check i did it again with 2.2.7 in the first place and it wouldn't install ?

anyway its in now and works, just what I wanted

thankyou
SMF 2.0.12

TheDel

Wow I think this mod just jumped up there among my favorites-
I tried it on my test board.

I do have some suggestions - hopefully these are in the works before submission-

• Tiny Portal support- I saw the TP tab was mention. I dont need that. I would just like to see it reconize that TP is there. I get errors for all the pages on install because of TP. It actually was an easy manual install but just something for the folks scared to manual edit after adding the package.
  • An easier way to incorporate some of the old HELP. For some reason the HTML doesnt work well. I pulled the HTML from the original help page added it in and everything is off. The HTML is correct correct because I added it in a TP Article and everything matched up. Is it perhaps that everything is off because of the extra Navigation block?

Nonetheless- this one is looking good- Looking forward to seeing it on the Mod Page!

Marcus Forsberg

Thank's for the comments and suggestions.
I'm thinking of a good way to include the old help pages, and it will be included in the next release.

[SiNaN]

Just to remind that we already have these two mods in the Mod Site:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1311
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1477

I suggest spending your time on a different mod, unless you are planning to add some different features to this. ;)
Former SMF Core Developer | My Mods | SimplePortal

Marcus Forsberg

Weel, I have plenty of features going on. Like a r***** s*****, c****** etc :P

TheDel

You wouldnt by any chance have a time frame on a release? Also- would it be an upgrade if we install the BETA or would we need to uninstall BETA first?

(now running and hiding for asking a dumb question)

Ken.

Nascar, I have a request/suggestion for a slightly different approach for your Mod.

First of all let me restate my high praise for your work, this is a great add-on for the SMF help pages and I'm sure your final version is going to be well received.  :)

My suggestion may be out of line with your current focus and I'm no coder so this may not work as envisioned but heres my thought... FWIW.

The current SMF help pages are good to have as part of anyones forum so it's good that you are working to include them in your next release, but imho it might work well if you do it the other way around... in other words, have your mod be an add on for the existing SMF help pages much the way that Bloc has done for the TinyPortal help pages.
By adding an extra tab (or tabs) to the SMF help page and then having sub-pages available for each tab page you would accomplish your goal while leaving the SMF page intact.

Thanks... Ken.
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

Eliana Tamerin

Hmm, interesting Nascar. Good job so far, and it looks like a good mod.

Yes, this is a shameless post to get this on my unread list. :P
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

iain sherriff

Quote from: Ken. on November 20, 2008, 04:55:05 AM
Nascar, I have a request/suggestion for a slightly different approach for your Mod.

First of all let me restate my high praise for your work, this is a great add-on for the SMF help pages and I'm sure your final version is going to be well received.  :)

My suggestion may be out of line with your current focus and I'm no coder so this may not work as envisioned but heres my thought... FWIW.

The current SMF help pages are good to have as part of anyones forum so it's good that you are working to include them in your next release, but imho it might work well if you do it the other way around... in other words, have your mod be an add on for the existing SMF help pages much the way that Bloc has done for the TinyPortal help pages.
By adding an extra tab (or tabs) to the SMF help page and then having sub-pages available for each tab page you would accomplish your goal while leaving the SMF page intact.

Thanks... Ken.

without wanting to critiscise what you are doing in any way NAscar I to like the way TP use the tab
SMF 2.0.12

Marcus Forsberg

As you know I was cancelnig this mod, but after the comments I got from a few people I decided to keep working on it.

1.0 Beta 1 Build 0.7d 19 December 2008
o You can now add 5 blocks instead of 3.
o Added swedish translation.
o Removed brazilian translation, as Costa (the translator) has left SMF due to real life issues.
o Added a feature allowing you to keep the SMF default helppages as they are. You can also disable any of them if you don't want it.

Note
1.1.x users
Only the old versions of this mod is currently available for SMF 1.1.x.
This is due to the lack of time I have to code this mod, so I find it easier to finnish the mod for SMF 2.0 and then convert it for 1.1.x.

Marcus Forsberg

Thanks... Ken.

The latest version of the mod allows you to keep the default helppages intact.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on December 11, 2008, 08:14:04 AM
Hmm, interesting Nascar. Good job so far, and it looks like a good mod.

Yes, this is a shameless post to get this on my unread list. :P

Thanks, Eliana!

Quote from: iain sherriff on December 12, 2008, 02:57:48 PM

Thanks... Ken.

without wanting to critiscise what you are doing in any way NAscar I to like the way TP use the tab

Read what I wrote erlier in this post

Quote from: TheDel on November 19, 2008, 03:49:57 AM
You wouldnt by any chance have a time frame on a release? Also- would it be an upgrade if we install the BETA or would we need to uninstall BETA first?

(now running and hiding for asking a dumb question)

No, no time frame currently.
Currently you have to uninstall the beta first, but there will be no data lost.
i might add a upgrader when I finish the mod.

Quote from: NIBOGO on December 19, 2008, 01:29:13 PM
Great job buddy , keep working in this mod ^^

Thank you.

Ken.

It's great to see you working on this Mod again Nascar!  8)

I'm trying to install too my test forum that also has the TinyPortal help pages installed.

During the install process the help.php and help.template.php files both failed so those two received a manual edit but there is a conflict and so far I'm not getting it sorted out, here's the error that it throws when the help page is accessed.
Parse error:  syntax error, unexpected $end in ../tptest2/Sources/Help.php on line 111

The help.php and help.template.php files are attached.

Thanks... Ken.

Marcus Forsberg

Did you use the latest version of this mod? Its only for SMF 2.0. You need to use the archived release of the mod (at the bottom of the first post in this topic)
If so, you might want to wait a few days for me to update 0.7d to 0.8a which will support SMF 1.1.7 again (1.1.x versions will always be a bit late)

Ken.

OK, not a problem.  :)

I'll go ahead and try this version on my SMF2.0 test board and wait for the SMF 1.1.7 version.

... I should have paid more attention. :-[

Marcus Forsberg

Hhehe :)

Looks like it won't be very long until the 1.1.x update. Not many updates to do in the key files, its mosly the admin panel needing fixes.

Ken.

The version for SMF2.0 works great!

http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/SMF2.0/index.php?action=help

It will take a little rework on my article code to get the display correct, but this is going to work nice.

Will there be some way to deal with the TinyPortal help pages being installed to the SMF help pages for those of us who use TP?

Eliana Tamerin

I'm glad to see you working on this mod again, Nascar. Keep up the good work!
Do NOT PM me for support.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 is OUT!
SimplePortal Project Manager
Download | Docs
SimplePortal: Power of Simplicity!

Marcus Forsberg

Quote from: Ken. on December 19, 2008, 03:11:28 PM
The version for SMF2.0 works great!

http://www.ourfamilyforum.org/SMF2.0/index.php?action=help

It will take a little rework on my article code to get the display correct, but this is going to work nice.

Will there be some way to deal with the TinyPortal help pages being installed to the SMF help pages for those of us who use TP?

Actually I was thinking of making some kind of TP support for it. Keep your eyes open.

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin on December 19, 2008, 03:24:53 PM
I'm glad to see you working on this mod again, Nascar. Keep up the good work!

Advertisement: