News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Stop Spammer

Started by M-DVD, December 31, 2008, 07:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajiv1975

Because there are no actual database alterations just use your phpMyAdmin and in the settings table change the version variable to 1.1.8 and the error goes away.

# HR : Thanks HR for your help after following your suggestion the upgrade problem is solved.

# snoopy_virtual : HR's suggestion worked. I retried registering a member from my admin panel and it is giving the same error but the database upgrade error is not there.

QuoteYou have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ' '', 'username', '', 1, 0, 4, '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '', '' at line 3
File: /home/*****/public_html/Sources/Subs-Members.php
Line: 790

Quote8: Undefined index: spammer
File: /home/*****/public_html/Sources/Subs-Members.php
Line: 706

Now I think the problem is with the mod only.

Please help in this regard, I am desperate to use this mod.

Thanks in advance

Rajiv

M-DVD

Yes, I can reproduce the error.

Update soon, thank for notify :)

M-DVD

Quote from: PerryM on February 10, 2009, 11:21:30 PM

The database value you're trying to insert does not exist: is_spammer

When trying to add a new member via the Admin CP.

Excuse me, you was right.  :-X

robinrobin

Dear lord... uh, listen, i know exactly where i want to add the code in my custom theme, i just want to know the piece of code needed to show the list of users awaiting approval and i'll take care of the rest myself. Going through files to look for that piece of code myself isn't an option for me since the theme i'm using obviously doesn't use that code. This theme is rather slimmed down and doesn't have any indicator for unapproved members natively. Phew..

M-DVD

Quote from: robinrobin on February 13, 2009, 02:00:24 PM
Dear lord... uh, listen, i know exactly where i want to add the code in my custom theme, i just want to know the piece of code needed to show the list of users awaiting approval and i'll take care of the rest myself. Going through files to look for that piece of code myself isn't an option for me since the theme i'm using obviously doesn't use that code. This theme is rather slimmed down and doesn't have any indicator for unapproved members natively. Phew..

If you have members waiting approval, this link automatically is showed. Else, is hidden.

If your theme not haven this, then copy this code and paste where you like.

// Are there any members waiting for approval?
if (!empty($context['unapproved_members']))
echo '
', $context['unapproved_members'] == 1 ? $txt['approve_thereis'] : $txt['approve_thereare'], ' <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=viewmembers;sa=browse;type=approve">', $context['unapproved_members'] == 1 ? $txt['approve_member'] : $context['unapproved_members'] . ' ' . $txt['approve_members'], '</a> ', $txt['approve_members_waiting'], '<br />';

snoopy_virtual

Quote from: M-DVD on February 13, 2009, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: robinrobin on February 13, 2009, 02:00:24 PM

If you have members waiting approval, this link automatically is showed. Else, is hidden.

If your theme not haven this, then copy this code and paste where you like.

// Are there any members waiting for approval?
if (!empty($context['unapproved_members']))
echo '
', $context['unapproved_members'] == 1 ? $txt['approve_thereis'] : $txt['approve_thereare'], ' <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=viewmembers;sa=browse;type=approve">', $context['unapproved_members'] == 1 ? $txt['approve_member'] : $context['unapproved_members'] . ' ' . $txt['approve_members'], '</a> ', $txt['approve_members_waiting'], '<br />';

But this piece of code is already inside index.template.php in any normal SMF installation. It has nothing to do with the modifications you do with your mod, and it has nothing to do with any custom theme (at least I don't know any custom theme without it) so if robinrobin hasn't already got it it means there is something wrong with his SMF installation.

And anyway that's not the code for the button, that's a text showing the admin there are x members waiting for approval (of course it's hidden if there are none). Usually this text is at the index page, near the message telling you how many messages you have.

The code for the button is inside the file ManageMembers.template.php in the function:

function template_view_members()
{

}

And it's actually done with the statement:

foreach ($context['columns'] as $column)
{
echo '
...';
}

This foreach statement draw the buttons you need depending on the number os members waiting for approval, waiting for activation, etc

I still think that if you (robinrobin ) cannot see this button must be because you haven't got any member waiting approval.

And anyway, again this code is in every SMF installation and has nothing to do with this mod.

That's why I was telling you there is not an easy answer to your question and I was still waiting to see if you can explain us exactly what you want, cause I think I haven't understood you properly yet.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

robinrobin

M-DVD

MOD Stop Spammer v2.2
=================

New features:

• Fixed issue in Registration from ACP - Thanks rajiv1975 & PerryM for report

How do I upgrade?

• Uninstall the previous version
  • Install the new

=======================================

Características Nuevas:

• Reparado problema en Registro desde el ACP.

¿Como actualizar?

• Desinstalar la anterior versión
  • Instalar la nueva

PerryM

Installed new version 2.2 and could add a new member from the Admin>Members>Registration>Register New Member but the IP address of 127.0.0.1 was inserted and that is a known spammer address when you click the magnifying lens.

When you add a new member from the Register link the correct IP address is in there.

So the only bug left is to insert the correct address and everything should be fine.  OR, is that ok - if the admin adds a new member the IP address should not be theirs - for later IP tracking?  I don't know.

Thanks so much for bringing this module to smf.

P.S.
I added a user that was on the spam list at 127.0.0.1 and used their eMail address - the module didn't catch it.
Perry

rajiv1975

Thanks M-DVD for the update now I can register new members from my admin cp.

Thanks once again  ;)

Regards

Rajiv

M-DVD

Quote from: PerryM on February 13, 2009, 05:34:24 PM
Installed new version 2.2 and could add a new member from the Admin>Members>Registration>Register New Member but the IP address of 127.0.0.1 was inserted and that is a known spammer address when you click the magnifying lens.

When you add a new member from the Register link the correct IP address is in there.

So the only bug left is to insert the correct address and everything should be fine.  OR, is that ok - if the admin adds a new member the IP address should not be theirs - for later IP tracking?  I don't know.

Yes, the IP 127.0.0.1 is in the DB SFS's, many often. I don't know how or which spambot has this IP, but no appears to be a "data dirty".

And yes, there is a problem, when you registering a member via ACP, SMF registered with the "IP" 127.0.0.1.

Nor i don't know :P  Also I wanted to resolve this, but I thought the same thing, a solution has another problem.

So I decided, if the IP is 127.0.0.1, then the IP will not be checked, but the other data yes.

Why? because a member registered since the ACP isn't a spammer, and someone could be confused if the MOD would indicate that this member is a Spambot by their IP.

P.S.
I added a user that was on the spam list at 127.0.0.1 and used their eMail address - the module didn't catch it.

1.- The IP 127.0.0.1, it will not be revised, but, do the other data have been revised?.

2.- Have you registered the member via ACP or via ?action=register?

Because via ACP, the MOD don't check, it would be unnecessary.

Quote from: rajiv1975 on February 13, 2009, 09:36:20 PM
Thanks M-DVD for the update now I can register new members from my admin cp.

Thanks once again  ;)

Regards

Rajiv

Thanks so much for bringing this module to smf.

Thank you for using the MOD and to help improve it :D

PerryM

Just installed v 2.2 in my production smf 2.0 RC1 and I don't see the magnifying lens by the IP address and other filed on the "View all Members" tab.

I do see your 3 lines describing the various colors of the spammer icon below my list of members but not within the cells.

I know this worked on my test version.

Any idea why this would be different?

I must have 30+ mods installed on this live smf.

Thanks
Perry

M-DVD

Check if this option is enable "Show Link "More Info" for All Member"

In: Admin > Members > Registration > Setting

PerryM

Quote from: M-DVD on February 14, 2009, 12:23:23 AM
Check if this option is enable "Show Link "More Info" for All Member"

In: Admin > Members > Registration > Setting

Ooops sorry I forgot about the setting.  It works just fine.
Perry

snoopy_virtual

In any computer, the IP 127.0.0.1 means the computer itself.

So if you tell a computer to connect with IP 127.0.0.1 you are telling the computer "look inside yourself".

For the same reason in a server 127.0.0.1 is exactly the same as "localhost".

When I connect my computer with a server (for example "www.simplemachines.org") my computer can see 2 IPs: it sees my IP as 127.0.0.1 and it sees simplemachines as 207.210.95.101

At the same time simplemachines' server can see 2 IPs. It sees its own IP as 127.0.0.1 and it sees mine as 81.39.etc.etc

Then if I'm trying to register a new member inside a forum, the forum server hasn't got this member's IP (cause the member is not connected at the moment. We are on our own the server and me)

The only IPs the forum server has are its own IP 127.0.0.1 and the admin IP

Of course the program doesn't want to be writing the admin IP everywhere just in case anybody get it, and as it doesn't have the member's IP it just puts there a generic one (its own) and wait until that member connect with the forum.

As soon as that member enter the forum, the program gets the correct IP from the member's computer and change it.

Now the question:

Why are there so many entries in SFS database with that IP?

There are at least 3 options:

- Either they are all errors (a faulty program or a faulty webmaster somewhere send the details of a spammer while the IP is still the server's internal IP)

- Or the webmaster only had the username and the email but didn't had the IP and decided to put that one as a joke (*)

- Or somewhere there are very very very clever spammers. It's not easy to do an external connexion with a server and make it believe the connexion is coming from 127.0.0.1 (internal IP)

The connexion cannot be internal and external at the same time.

One way or the other will be a mistake to consider 127.0.0.1 as a spammer IP, so it's OK if the module doesn't catch it.

PD (*) The joke I was talking about is a very old joke among hackers. The guy studying to be a hacker and after 3 years he was very happy cause he had hack his first IP. He had enter 127.0.0.1 and even could see the files inside it.

El verdadero sabio es aquel que lo ve todo, lo estudia todo, lo analiza todo y molesta poco.
A true wise man is he who sees everything, studies everything, analyses everything and hardly ever annoys.

HR

You have got to be kidding

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.
If I do it and you implement it its a crap shoot.

robinrobin

snoopy_virtual

manicbe

Quote from: snoopy_virtual on February 12, 2009, 10:44:14 AM
That will be enough. If you want (just to be sure to be sure) copy your php.ini inside the Sources folder. Or even all the folders in your server. But I don't think you will need that. (hope)

Let me know.
Hi snoopy_virtual,
sorry for my absence during a couple of days
I've tried your solution: adding myself the php.ini file with the line safe_mode = off in it
but unfortunatelly it didn't work ... still the same error:
"Your host couldn't make connection to the DB, Try again later
If it continue see Topic of Support and search Known Issues"
I've added the file in:
- forum rootfolder
- sources
- forum/Themes/default/
but no luck
Another suggestion because I could realy use the mod ... for the moment approximately 60 "new user" are registering every day and after a manual check on the SFS site I have to refuse almost all of them
(it is still a strange thing that suddenly all those spammers found their way you the forum ... and that they do not care of any captcha - but hey ... the users are not annoyed anymore for the moment as all registrations are blocked for a while and I do a manual check every day ;D )

HR

Quote from: manicbe on February 17, 2009, 06:05:45 AM
Another suggestion because I could realy use the mod ... for the moment approximately 60 "new user" are registering every day and after a manual check on the SFS site I have to refuse almost all of them
(it is still a strange thing that suddenly all those spammers found their way you the forum ... and that they do not care of any captcha - but hey ... the users are not annoyed anymore for the moment as all registrations are blocked for a while and I do a manual check every day ;D )

Send them at me :) I like it when my counter goes up! LOL

I can explain this as simply as possible.. If I do it & implement I guarantee it.
If I do it and you implement it its a crap shoot.

Advertisement: